• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Our Jensen Healey restore project, many questions.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Most likely the stromberg has a bad diaphraghm or the pring inside has been messed with. Propbably the former item. You can, if you're clean about it, replace that bit with the carb on the engine. If you want to pullthe carbs, they aren't hard to rebuild, but there's a bit of a trick getting them synchronized correctly.

Jody

OP
03RedSRT4

03RedSRT4

Freshman Member
We will look into rebuilding them, Unfortunately I have to leave this to my dad for the time being, as I will be leaving for Oregon and Washington on Friday. On a side note, It sure would be nice if the engineers had made the hood to rise higher. It takes a toll on your lower back to work on this car, I have been doing most of the work on my knees.

This site is awesome https://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/tech/Stromberg/2barrel.html but we are not sure which model Strombergs we have. How can I tell? Those exploded views and descriptions are pretty sweet. I need like, "Stromberg 101" my Edelbrock came with a DVD that made tuning and adjusting dummy proof, I have a feeling it's just as easy with these, once you have the knowledge under your belt. If someone can point me in the direction of a manual, preferably a pdf, or How To on the rebuild, I am sure myself or my dad can rebuild these. I see that Summit has rebuild kits, but I need to know my model number first. We are not with the car, but I can make a trip to it to read nay numbers stamped on it, unless someone can say which models we have based on my photos. Hmm??

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Most of the Stromberg info I see on that site is for earlier carbs. I didn't see the 165s that are used on the Jensen Healey. Order the rebuild kits from Delta and then go on YouTube and search for "university motors stromberg" there's a three part series where they rebuild a Stromberg as put on an MG. Very similar to the JH excepting for the linkages.

I had a step by step photo catalog of rebuilding JH Strombergs, but I can't figure out what I've done with the photos.

Jody

OP
03RedSRT4

03RedSRT4

Freshman Member
Thank you very much for the info, I will have to get the rebuild kit. The hood latch left a nasty bump on my cousins head, and I just know I will do it someday soon. Those Youtube videos are a good find. I am going to watch them right now, if I can, I will get my dad to take photos. How To's are priceless sometimes.

EDIT: Jody said Stromberg <span style="font-weight: bold">165</span>, and PC said <span style="font-weight: bold">175</span>. I just want to clarify here, I am not used to these carbs.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Oh, and stupid trick for the hood latch. Get some hot water pipe insulation. The round foam stuff with a slit in it for fitting over pipes. Slip a length of that over the latch and put a little tape on it to hold it in place. It's a noggin saver.

OP
03RedSRT4

03RedSRT4

Freshman Member
Does anyone have any advice for getting the bottom bolts off the carbs? The front one seems impossible to access. I heated and bent a wrench in effort to get it, but still have no room to rotate. (It was a crappy wrench, not my Craftsman)I am fearing I might have to take the IM off.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
OBTW:

Since we're talking about fasteners, there's something the new, not used to oddball Euro-car, JH owner may not be familiar with. (I'm not saying you specifically are or aren't, just that most new JH owners aren't. (I wasn't until I bought my car.))

Most of the screws on a JH aren't Phillips. They're Pozidriv.

So any new JH owner needs to have a good set of Pozidive screwdrivers and insert bits handy.

And unfortunately, since many JH's have been owned by and worked on by people who didn't know, they tend to have mangled screw heads.

pc

OP
03RedSRT4

03RedSRT4

Freshman Member
PC, thank you for the info. I was unaware of the Pozidriv screws. I will try to find a quality set online, as I assume Autozone wouldn't have them. I did read an article about these Thackery washers being smashed, which mine are.

I wanted to give you guys an update, so you didn't think I was not paying attention to the car or forums. I was on annual leave and my dad had a heart attack. He is doing fine now, and was released from the hospital after a day. In leiu of this, we haven't made any progress on the Jensen. He has the fuel tank and is going to see if he can get it repaired. He is going to remove the carbs and send them to me so I can rebuild them. When I get them, I will make a detailed thread on the rebuild. I can not find one, and I know someday it will help someone out. It will be a good learning experience, as all I know right now is my 4bbl Edelbrock on my Impala.

Country flag
My fuel tank was rusted out on the bottom too. The previous owner had "fixed" it byt fiberglassing over the rotten areas. I obtained another tank from a friend but foud that it too had the same problems with rust.

I had it repaired at a local radiator shop, who cut out the bad bottom section and welded in new metal. Note it had been years since any fuel had been in the tank and it was safe to weld.

fueltanksfs.jpg

New on left, all shiny and black, old on right with fiberglass mat showing...

I'll admit the fiberglass worked, at least for a couple of years... but I'm happier with it properly welded.

I'll mount the new tank on non-porous material with a slight air gap underneath.

OP
03RedSRT4

03RedSRT4

Freshman Member
Not a bad idea. My dad is going to call a local shop to see if they will repair it. I have a few fiberglass spots in my floor boards in my Impala. Fixing them is not exactly first on my list of things to do. When I got it I didn't know the gas tank had a hole, until I went to the gas station. It was a bad day to be me LOL. He is going to take the carbs off next week hopefully.