• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jensen Healey Cam belt cover

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
In looking at various Jensen Healeys, I see some with a cover over the cam belt and others without. I would assume that all would have a cover. Is that correct? Have some owners removed/lost etc the cover?

Bruce

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Bruce;

Mine ('73 JH Mk.I #13046) came from the PO without the cover, the PO said it came to him that way. I investigated a half dozen JH's before I purchased mine and not one of then had the cam belt covers in place. Seems they were a pain in the butt and a performance issue of some kind.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Most people remove the cam belt shrouds. Sometimes the mounts break but more often than not it's to simplify access to the cam carriers, cam pulleys and belt tensioner when doing valve adjustments, belt replacement, etc. These maintenance procedures must be done periodically and the shrouds just get in the way.

Besides, it looks cooler, more mechanical, meant for performance above all else, like the racing engine it was born to be. Remember, this is an all aluminum DOHC 4 valve per cylinder motor made at a time when such things were only seen on pure racing engines from the likes of Cosworth.

PC.

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Thanks both for the information. Seems a very logical answer and not at all critical to the value of the car.

Bruce

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Mine came with the covers, you want the covers for obvious reasons. OUCH. Not to mention somthing coming loose and getting run thru there,goodbye valves.

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Well that sounds very logical also and safer I would say. At least I know they should have one if one was to want to make the car correct.

Bruce

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
.... Not to mention somthing coming loose and getting run thru there,goodbye valves.

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean like the covers themselves? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

PC.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...critical to the value of the car...

[/ QUOTE ]
The subject of "value" and loss thereof comes up quite often. For some cars it may get complicated but I don't think that's the case with Jensen Healeys. Face it; they just don't cost much in the first place. The wrong shade of silver might take $25,000 off the "value" of some pre-war Mercedes. There ain't nothin' that can take $25,000 off the "value" of a $5,000 Jensen Healey.

Jensen Healeys are found as, drivers, projects, racecars, part-outs and occasionally modifieds. There are no trailer queens, no show cars, no 100pt. concours winners. Sure, some people show their cars but they drive them to the shows. They have no status, no name recognition, no glamour. That's why they're cheap. Nobody's going to see a Jensen Healey on the lawn at Pebble Beach in my lifetime (unless Carl the groundskeeper uses one to chase gophers).

They are remembered neither for their celebrity status nor their historical connection to some romantic bygone age (by and large the 70's were pretty lame). Jensen Healeys are loved for their character. They are loved because they are fast, responsive, attractive, traditional and mostly they're just plain fun to drive.

Jensen Healey owners don't live in a world of point deductions and what is valued most is the car's feel and emotional impact. Deviations from originality are generally accepted, sometimes even welcomed, as long as they don't detract from the car's spirit. Many changes are improvements and will increase a given car's selling price if done with quality craftsmanship. Most are bolt-on and can be easily returned to original if so desired.

Here are a bunch of things that come to mind:

Mods that don't decrease Jensen Healey values:
non-standard (but tasteful) paint colors
wide tires
cassette or CD players
custom steering wheels
missing cam belt shrouds
K&N air filters

Mods that may increase Jensen Healey values:
canvas tops
custom wheels
real wood interior accents
leather upholstery
European spec carbs
stroker cranks
forged pistons
half moon cam belts/pulleys
braided hydraulic lines
sway bars
electronic ignition

Original things that are undesirable:
(the dreaded) plastic fuel tees
two row radiator cores
paper cam cover gaskets

PC.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
PC, good, very good, with the exception of status,glamour, etc.Recent history is already starting to change that perception. I have found interest in the JH in Brit car circles starting to rise,which I believe is good. The car has gotten far more attractive as it has aged,along with its performance potential, it is becoming a serious contender for a rising value.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
... with the exception of status,glamour, etc.Recent history is already starting to change that perception...

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you're right. It would be nice to see them get the admiration they deserve.

I'd love to see more of them rescued from oblivion and returned to the road.

PC.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Very well stated, PC.

One of the things I have always liked about my Lotus(s) and the Nortons, for that matter, has been that the addition of modifications to increase performance and durability have always been admired, respected, and even increased desireability and value. With both though, this is changing. More and more, "collectors" are creeping into the market, and the added value of improvements is on the slide to becomming a liability. I don't like being told what to do with my cars, and I'm not very happy about how this is starting to work out.

I agree that the JH is an undervalued bargain, particularly by those who will use the performanse as opposed to people who cruise in their car. Increased value and recognition do seem to drag the "originality q u e e r" along. Its a double edged sword.

It is tough to justify the cost of a restoration and modifications for a car worth so little though. It has to be for other reasons than the money.

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Super 7,

It's all about Love for these tweeky, fussy, fast and fun to drive little road warriors.

Ya just have to love then, I was getting petrol last Saturday and a guy walked up and looked at my Black Beauty and ask me where he could buy a kit car like that, he though it was cool. Of course it is cool! Kit Car?

PC, I just finished the new roll bar, now I'm going to have to modify my hard top! I added 3" and a forward FIA style forward brace. It's very nice.