• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Northern Tool fluxcore welder mini review

t_bush

Hey All,
I recently purchased a Northern Tool brand fluxcore 110V welder and thought I would share my findings with those that might be interested.
If you just do occasional welding repairs and fabrication this little box works great. I paid $150 USD for it at the local store plus another $40 for an auto darkening helmet.
So far I have run 5# of wire through it. I fabricated some engine mounts, welded reinforcments to a frame, modified an oil pan, and repaired a skid steer and some fence around the farm. No problems at all. The only thing I would fault is the tension adjustment for the wire spool. It either gets too loose or too tight. I put a small wave washer between the wingnut and washer and solved that issue.
It has a good punch to it for a 110V welder. I have not had it overheat yet. The trigger and feed mechanism work well. It is a electrically cold tip machine with a built in contactor.
It is not going to do the things you can do with a MIG or TIG box, but it has done all I need and I do not have to mess about with gas cylinders. It has worked for me outside in a good breeze too.
I have run three brands of wire through the thing. I started with Hobart wire thinking it would be better than the rest. It worked good. When I ran out of the Hobart stuff I ran the wire that came with the welder, then I got some FirePower brand wire that I got from a local auto store.
The Wire from Northern Tool works the best. It has a nice steady arc and light splatter that is easy to remove. The Hobart wire is good, but has a harsher crackle, more splatter and more smoke. The smoke makes it more difficult to watch the molten pool. The FirePower wire is not pleasant at all. Very harsh arc, lots of splatter that is difficult to remove and a lot of smoke. I will not be buying any more of that stuff.
The Northern brand autodark helmet works well. Just be sure to check the shade setting each time you put it on. I managed to accidently turn the shade knob down and got a surprise when I struck up an arc.
Sheet metal can be welded with care. I wouldn't do any body work with this welder. It really shines with items like brackets and mounts.
All in all for occasional use and plug in and go conveinence I say this is $150 well spent.
- Tim

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
If you are using flux core wire, remember that it is dangerous to breath the smoke and other things that get into the air when the wire melts. You will ruin your lungs. Google MIG welders, ISTR that Lincoln's site has a lot of information. MSDS sheet may also have info. BE CAREFUL!

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
+1, Jim. Very much like the gas from welding on galvanized
material. Not good. Drink a glass of milk after doing so.
Cheers,
D.

OP
t_bush

t_bush

It is very similar to stick electrodes, although there is less flux in flux core wire. In general do not breath the smoke from anything.
Mig, Tig, and gas welding also generate metal laden gases. They are just not as visible.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
It is true that you should drink milk before, during,(if a long job) and when finished welding. Some jobs require the contractor to supply the welders with free milk. Don't know the medicinal value behind this, but it must work. I guess it coats the membrane's in the throat. ??

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Drinking milk can quicken the recovery time due to zinc oxide poisoning resulting from breathing fumes when welding galvanized metal.
The calcium in milk absorbs the zinc oxide!
However the best policy is to avoid breathing the fumes altogether, when welding anything and especially galvanized metal, adequate ventilation is a must do.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I don't use flux core wire, mainly for reasons mentioned. The 110 welders are ok for small quick jobs on thin material. Better than nothing I guess. Most are very poor on maintaining the proper heat range. Those of us who have used a Hobart, Miller or Lincoln, Mig or Tig setup, knows the tremendous difference in the quality of the harbor freight type machines. I think they are good for training purposes, as when you learn to weld with one of them and then move to a quality machine, you'll be amazed at what you can do and how precise you'll be. Like going from a model T Ford, to a Corvette! No comparison! JMHO. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Paul said:
I think they are good for training purposes, as when you learn to weld with one of them and then move to a quality machine, you'll be amazed at what you can do and how precise you'll be. Like going from a model T Ford, to a Corvette! No comparison!

Amen!

Learned the folly of inferior tools at an early age. ANY tool. Get the best one you can afford for the particular task and learn to grow into it. Trying to learn a skill with an inferior tool can quickly lead to frustration, not to mention the money spent to learn the lesson itself. Be it welding, wrenching or photography there should be no reason to fault the tool if it is of professional quality. The learning becomes easier.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Lincoln, Nikon, Snap-On.... The lessons were empirically taught! :laugh:

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
Paul said:
I think they are good for training purposes, as when you learn to weld with one of them and then move to a quality machine, you'll be amazed at what you can do and how precise you'll be. Like going from a model T Ford, to a Corvette! No comparison!

Amen!

Learned the folly of inferior tools at an early age. ANY tool. Get the best one you can afford for the particular task and learn to grow into it. Trying to learn a skill with an inferior tool can quickly lead to frustration, not to mention the money spent to learn the lesson itself. Be it welding, wrenching or photography there should be no reason to fault the tool if it is of professional quality. The learning becomes easier.

While I generally agree with all of this, there are times when buying a cheap tool is all that is necessary for a given job.

I bought one of those HF "less then $200" MIG welders. All I wanted it for was to do the body work on the TR3. It performed just fine for that. I may never use it again, but it is here... "just in case". Although a fine machine would have been nice, I just couldn't justify the expense for an essentially one time use.

I suppose that I could have bought a better machine, and then sold it after I was done to recoup some of the money, but then I wouldn't have it anymore... "just in case". :smile:

c5racer

I am on Arts side of the fence. Years ago I learned to weld in high school on nice Lincoln equipment when shop class truly taught you something. (We had a very nice shop) Some time later in life I spent 700 on a Hobart MIG. To this day I have only used it enough that I need to practice before I feel ready to start a real job. Most of the stuff I've done fits the profile of the HF $100 wire feed just fine. I have several HF tools that have served me well for the job I needed them for and still sit ready in the shop for the few times I've needed them since. I would not buy HF for commercial use but for a home shop they can't be beat in my book.

Bruce