• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB New plug wires and distributor cap

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Are there any good distributor cap and plug wires to be had outside of Moss Motors? I have been reading about the poor quality of their parts lately and would like to replace the cap and wires on my 1977 B.

Thanks,

Charlie

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Maybe jump on flea bay and have a look for NOS items. Later Bs did come fitted with Champion wires that where green if I remember correctly.

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the advice D! I did find a new Lucas distributor cap and a set of NGK plug wires that are exact replacement for the B on flea bay. I am waiting for a reply from a distributor of the Pertronix coil. I asked if the coil was compatible with the ballast on the late model Bs.
I'll let you know if all work well when I install them.
Charlie

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I have new NGK BP6ES in my car. I have been using NGK plugs for years including using a special four prong plug in my racing 240Z back in the late 70s. I have had them in all my LBCs for years. A very good and reliable brand!

Thanks,
Charlie

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So I guess my underlying question is; what is actually wrong with the parts that Moss is offering (asking mainly because that is the only place I know of to get things since Victoria British went under a couple years ago).

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So I guess my underlying question is; what is actually wrong with the parts that Moss is offering (asking mainly because that is the only place I know of to get things since Victoria British went under a couple years ago).
Nothing wrong with Moss. They are reputable and I have used their parts for basically my entire car ownership. Victoria British and Moss typically had the same suppliers and there have been stories on this forum of people opening a VB box and finding a Moss part number and vice versa.

That said I think that the issue is not so much Moss but that parts are typically sourced to the lowest bidder. In part because of profit motive of the company but also because most buyers tend to chose cheaper parts. I have had a couple of parts over the past years that simply weren't up to scratch. A clutch line where the tolerances on the ends were so bad I couldn't get them to seal - and something else (can't remember - possibly a solenoid) where the attached nut was metric.

Most of the parts are made of Chinesium and made in shops that literally have no idea what they are making. Amazon/ Walmart/ Dollar Stores/ harbor freight/ the list goes on where price trumps quality - and in fairness - I have many things from all of those stores where the quality is just fine.

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I have used Moss Motors many many times in the past. The problem has been in parts I ordered in the last few years, maybe more than a few. In ignition parts I want the best I can get so I reached out to the BCF for ideas of alternate sources. I still buy from Moss for many other items.

Charlie