• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Plug Wires

19MGA60

My previous post(Shocking) confirmed the need for new plug wires. I really don't want to make them. Do I have to order them or can I get a set from Auto Zone etc... made for a certain car?

Thanks, Tom

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 19MGA60:
My previous post(Shocking) confirmed the need for new plug wires. I really don't want to make them. Do I have to order them or can I get a set from Auto Zone etc... made for a certain car?

Thanks, Tom
<hr></blockquote>

Hold on Tom, Auto parts stores are notorious for outrageous mark-ups, especially for special orders.

I’d go on line and order them through Victoria British or one of the many Moss dealers. It won’t take that much longer than ordering them through the local auto parts store. Besides that you’ll save a buck or two on the price and as long as you pick one out of state you won’t have to worry about state tax.

VB is at https://www.victoriabritish.com/

Because Moss is located here in California I like to use one of the following dealers.

The Little British Car Company - https://www.lbcarco.com/
The B-Hive - https://bhive.tierranet.com/

You don’t have to take my word for it or even use my recommendations just spend a little time and take a look on the web. You’ll be surprised what kind of deals are to be had.

Good luck!

cheers.gif

G

or check EBay, there's a guy who sells ACCEL wires for the B occasionally, I've bought 2 sets from him
iagree.gif

Baxter

Jedi Trainee
I have always gone down to Autozone and bought one of the Accel "universal fit" kits. If it only came with a second coil wire you'd have enough to do two cars (and either way you have extra wire if you hose one up). Spend about an hour sitting around watching TV while you put it together, and you're set. They're good quality wires 8mm, too, instead of most of the junk sold expressly for Bs.

[ 10-25-2003: Message edited by: Baxter ]</p>

A

aerog

You can also buy or order the same Bosch wires Moss sells at local stores for the same, or less money (I did, anyway).

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
I have to respectfully disagree with Bret on this one. I always check my local store first, if you know what your looking for you can get many of the same "generic" items from your corner parts store for much cheaper than the parts houses. I got a set of 8mm autolight plugs for less than $20 at Advanced Auto. Took one day for delievery. No shipping charge.

[ 10-26-2003: Message edited by: John Moore ]</p>

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John Moore:
[QB]I have to respectfully disagree with Bret on this one.

<<SNIP>>
<hr></blockquote>

That’s fair enough, nobody ever said we all had to agree. Nor did I say that plug wires for a B couldn’t be found at your local auto parts store. I was only offering another option to using a do-it-yourself “cut to length” or having to order a kit through the auto parts store & having to pay taxes. Perhaps retail tax isn’t such a big deal in some states, but here in California more times than not, I get a much better deal paying for shipping and not having to worry about 7.5% to 9% tax.

Don’t know about Moss. But Victoria British is offering their basic MGB wire sets for $15 and less. If you want to go Bosch plug wire VB offers their sets for less than $20.

I also did a little looking and found that the “best deal” I’ve found on line is from the folks at “The Proper MG” (www.propermg.com). They are offering an MGB (1976-80) Tune-up KIT for just $27. The kit includes Plugs, Rotor, Rotor Cap & a set of Wires. If you require points & condenser you’ll need to pay out a little more for the entire kit ($36 to $44). But that’s still not a bad offer.

But my main point is - that it never hurts to look. Whatever the case in the end its your money so you make a decision.

[ 10-26-2003: Message edited by: Bret ]</p>

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Being a "Cheap B@stard" or as they say up here "Yankee Thrifty" I usually check around before I buy. That's always good advice!
cheers.gif
But I've learned to always check the local parts store. Never know what you may find.

Tax here in upstate NY is 7.5%, it's true, it can make up for the shipping you may save.

Here are a few items I got from my local advance auto:

$6.50 Dist Cap
$3.25 Condensor
$15.99 Wires (Custom fit autolite)
$1.99 Ea Bosche Plat Plugs
$3.15 Rotor
$12.00 Brake Pads
$80.00 Rebuilt Lucas Alternator
$14.00 Seat Belts