• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

plug wires for Pertronix?

emann

So my BE had the side-entry distributor cap.

I bought a Pertronix Electronic distributor which has a top entry distributor cap and says to use non-solid core plug wires.

So I bought a set of top-entry wires from Moss.

It seems that the top-entry wires are a friction fit into the distributor cap vs the side-entry that had a screw to tighten.

However, the wires I have won't fit the cap I got from Pertronix. The wires are too small (diameter-wise) for the holes in the cap.

Does this make sense?

Does the Pertronix cap take a certain size (say whatever today's "standard" is) where the ones from Moss were the right size for the top-entry British Car caps of the past?

Can I get the right size wires for the Pertronix from just a local auto-supply store?

Just trying to figure this out before I buy another set that won't fit.

TIA,
Ed

dklawson

Yoda
I'm not familiar with the cap from Pertronix. The original side-entry cap should accept 7mm spark plug wire.

I'm not sure why Pertronix would recommend one wire type over another. In general, you should be able to use any wire type as long as you use the correct spark plug with it. (i.e., If you use solid core plug wires, you need to use resistor spark plugs or spark plug terminals. If you run resistor wires, you need to run "regular" non-resistor plugs and not use resistor plug terminals).

I believe most NAPA stores carry Belden spark plug wire in bulk. You may want to take the cap to the store and make sure what's available there will fit.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
I'd call Pertronix. I'm surprised they would supply a cap with connectors other than what would normally fit a 25D, but... they should be able to tell you what to use. Easier than guessing.

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
"""""""""So my BE had the side-entry distributor cap."""""""""

made to use solid core wire only..not for supessor carbon or spiral wound wire.

''''''''''''I bought a Pertronix Electronic distributor which has a top entry distributor cap and says to use non-solid core plug wires.'''''''''''''

correct. You do NOT want to use solid core wire with an electronic ignition or box.

'''''''''''So I bought a set of top-entry wires from Moss.
It seems that the top-entry wires are a friction fit into the distributor cap vs the side-entry that had a screw to tighten.'''''''''

Cheapo wire terminals both the dist ends and spark plug ends DO NOT have "snap" features to positively locate the terminal in the socket and the spark plug pin. Good wires have brass or stainless terminal ends to allow a snap fit.

""""""""""""However, the wires I have won't fit the cap I got from Pertronix. The wires are too small (diameter-wise) for the holes in the cap."""""""""

Possibly Pert needs 8mm wire instead of 7mm. I doubt it but it is possible.

""""""Does this make sense? """""Yes... but retrace your steps.

'''''''''Does the Pertronix cap take a certain size (say whatever today's "standard" is) where the ones from Moss were the right size for the top-entry British Car caps of the past?''''''''''
probably not..........past was 7mm....most modern cars use 8mm. The "early" socket style dist caps all use 7mm...if you use the right angle terminals you can use 8mm.

'''''''''''Can I get the right size wires for the Pertronix from just a local auto-supply store?''''''''''''''

Take the cap to the store. You might look at some 90* terminals and boots for the cap end and also for the plug end. Ask a lot of questions. Look in the Belden and Standard Ignition catalogs.

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
I also purchased that setup I just bought a 8MM wire universial wire set from my local parts store and cut them to fit no problems. Heck now I have a full spare set as it was for a V8! ACCEL wires.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I've been using solid core (non-resistor) wires on my racer for at least 6 years. It has had a Pertronix unit all that time too. No problem.

I know lots of others who have the same setup, with no issues.

Obviously, this might be a problem if my car had a radio. Although, to tell the truth, I've run helmet radios (for pit communication) and they work fine too.

I am using 7 mm solid wires with an old-style, side entry cap.

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
"""""It has had a Pertronix unit all that time too. No problem."""""

Your lucky. Solid core wires set up specific magnetic fields making most electronics not happy....especially if the trigger wheel wires are running close to a B+ wire or a plug wire.