• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nasty Boys!

BritishV8

Have you guys seen these modified Triumphs? Awesome!

https://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/DaleKnapke.htm
AutoX-DaleKnapke.jpg
DaleKnapke-B.jpg

https://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/KenHiebert.htm
KenHiebert-A.jpg

KenHiebert-D.jpg

https://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/MattKline.htm
MattKline-P.jpg

MattKline-D.jpg

https://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/MilesCrouch.htm
MilesCrouch-A.jpg
MilesCrouch-B.jpg

The first six photos above were taken at our annual meet, last month. Hear all about it here:
https://www.britishv8.org/British-V8-Current-Issue.htm

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee
the first couple were...ok. then the "gt6" and "spitfire" came up and...well...they aren't really triumphs at all. probably would have been easier to fit a big engine in a car that has the room.

i guess as long as the owners like them, that is all that matters. and now i don't feel so bad for wanting to weld a tr6 dash into my gt6...

(runs for flame suit...)

OP
B

BritishV8

flinky wrote: "runs for flame suit..."

I'm not offended at all... but I would point out a couple things in defence of the GT6 and its builder:

1) the Ford V8 fits under the stock hood.
2) the weight distribution of stock GT6 isn't anything to brag about... it's unlikely the Ford engine appreciably changed the car's overall weight or weight distribution.
3) I suspect a "before" picture would show you that not too many of the original Triumph parts were salvageable.
4) the owner is young, and has far more talent than money. His skills will continue improving (and hopefully his budget will too).
5) the car is far from "completed"... I was VERY impressed that it came to our meet less than one week after rolling for the first time. I was even more impressed that it participated in our autocross.
6) the bodywork and interior are likely to change dramatically. I think you're looking at a mock-up/prototype.

I think it's cool to see younger guys still interested in hot-rodding LBCs... the car reminds me of what my MGB-GT looked like after I started messing with it 20 years ago. It's a more refined car now.

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee
oh, the flame suit wasn't for protection from you, but from the locals here (for my dash change comment).

As for the GT6, i am impressed it all fits under the hood. i'd like a supercharger for my gt6, but the hood just doesn't allow for the kits available (and i don't have the budget to buy an expensive kit only to severely modify it to work).

i just didn't like the styling, but that is why i stated that the most important thing is that the owner enjoys it.

i'd add more, but this is a touchy and opinion based subject.

OP
B

BritishV8

Flinky wrote: "I'd like a supercharger for my gt6, but the hood just doesn't allow for the kits available"

Flinky, this might inspire/entertain you - a supercharger installation that fit under-the-hood on an MGB V8!

https://www.britishv8.org/Articles/MGB-V8-Supercharger.htm
(the article includes 38 large, detailed photos and "how-to" information)

Supercharger-A.jpg

The funny thing about "purists" is that they conveniently forget a self-evident truth: the greatest leaders in the history of the British auto industry were all hot-rodders, not museum curators. Cecil Kimber, Donald Healey, David Brown, Sir Alec Issigonis, etc... These guys weren't content to leave cars unmodified! I bet if any of them had a GT6, they'd probably want to swap out the dashboard and install a blower too. Modifying cars is true to the heritage and spirit of the breed.

G

My aunt had a whole Continental kit on her 72 Caddy when I was growing up. It was all gold plated too. It was the cat's *ss.

I think I fall into the "purist" category.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
BritishV8 said:
Flinky wrote: "I'd like a supercharger for my gt6, but the hood just doesn't allow for the kits available"

Flinky, this might inspire/entertain you - a supercharger installation that fit under-the-hood on an MGB V8!

https://www.britishv8.org/Articles/MGB-V8-Supercharger.htm
(the article includes 38 large, detailed photos and "how-to" information)

Supercharger-A.jpg

The funny thing about "purists" is that they conveniently forget a self-evident truth: the greatest leaders in the history of the British auto industry were all hot-rodders, not museum curators. Cecil Kimber, Donald Healey, David Brown, Sir Alec Issigonis, etc... These guys weren't content to leave cars unmodified! I bet if any of them had a GT6, they'd probably want to swap out the dashboard and install a blower too. Modifying cars is true to the heritage and spirit of the breed.
"
Don't lump all of us "purists" into one big pile... I'm a hot rodder thru and thru but prefer my British cars to reflect the era in which they were originally manufactured and you didn't see many injected Corvette engines in Brit sports cars in the 50's.

Quite frankly seeing some of these late model powerplants in early cars makes me think it's kinda like sewing a "winkie" on Raquel Welch...it could be done but it would ruin the original design!