• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My greatest fear.......

G

My greatest fear is when I die, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I have in it.

Bill

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Well, I don't have that fear - my wife actually knows how much I've spent on BOTH Triumphs ... she's told me I'll have to be buried in mine to get our money's worth out of it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
my greatest fear is that once my car is done my son will be driving by then and will "borrow" the keys and wreck it!!
after i die he can do what he wants but i think my daughter may have something to say about it. i guess i'll have to do two cars!!
rob

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
I told my son if he maintains at least a 3.5 gpa, I would teach him to drive the TR3.

He's got a 3.8......

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
you're in big trouble!!! or maybe he'll have to build his own once he's hooked.
rob

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I've already had my 16 year old son out with me in the TR4 learning how to stick shift for the first time. I tell you it doesn't matter how big the empty parking lot is, when you have your offspring driving your Triumph it is nervewracking!

So my sleepless nights are spent worrying that he'll wreck it and then my wife will find all those receipts I've been hiding..
Randy

swift6

Yoda
As I have no offspring to worry about yet I don't have to worry about that. But from the other side... I was the child in my family most interested in cars. By the time I was driving, I was the last one that my parents had to worry about when it came to driving their cars. They always knew that the car would be returned full of gas and clean. The result was I never had a problem borrowing their cars. Even after I showed my step-dad that I could four wheel power-slide his modified Corvette. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif He had two comments after I showed him that. First was that I was going to have to pay for his next set of tires and second was how did I do it because he wanted to try it as well.

Then again, I could have been the exception to the rule about horrible teenage drivers.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
My now 17 year old son has his own MGB(blue 78) but is yet to drive it(storage)...so I had been teaching him to drive a stick on the B LE....Otherwise he knows to keep his hands off everything else, except for the Caddy...he can drive that....I am looking to buy a beater for him this summer.

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
I have a 39 yr old son. He learned to drive in my MG Midget Mark I while my wife rode shotgun with him and I lead in my TR3 with my younger son. When he drove it for his license test his large tester must have gotten his testees in a bundle as he shoehorned himself into the passenger seat because he didn't think the three way Lucas signal switch was legal. I sold the Midget and bought a TR6 which my son and I restored as a father-son project. The only parts remaining from the original TR6 are the tub and the right front fender. The engine, brakes, drivetrain and suspension are highly modified and the car looks better than it could have when it rolled out of the factory. I gave it to him for his graduation present. Now my greatest fear is that one day he may no longer trust me to drive his TR6! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

ez_pa_6

Freshman Member
Country flag
I allowed my now 18 year old son to drive our 6 while he was on his learners permit. Once he got his license, he was allowed to take the 6 to school on Fridays if he did his chores and it wasn't going to rain. He always got his chores done and he was always big man on campus every Friday. Today he's in college and when he comes home he always wants to drive the 6.

I still can't believe I let him take it to school on Fridays! Never got a scratch!
Ed

OP
G

I've seen a few posts that talk about their teenaged children driving their Triumphs. You guys that are carrying collector car insurance might want to check the fine print on your policies. Mine, American Collectors, will not insure anyone to drive the car with less than 10 years liscensed driving experience. Insurance companies can be real funny if you have a claim with an unauthorized driver.
Geeez, seems like I have nothing but negative news tonight.

Bill

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
I don't have collector car insurance.

He (and my wife) is learning to drive a stick on a '92 Toyota pick-up while the TR3 is getting refurbished. I have not driven the 3 since January.

I'm suffering withdrawals...

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It was not an LBC but a BAC (big American car) that my dad let me drive around the parking lot when I was 14. I think my TR3 would fit in the trunk of that 62 Ford Galaxy 500. I know have classic insurance on my two LBCs and the sad part is I can't let my 14 year old son drive either as a reusult.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
My greatest fear is when I die, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I have in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once described for a friend what his funeral will be like...

"Susan, I'm so sorry about your loss. By the way, has anyone spoken to you about the AC Ace or the Lotus 7? Oh, I can see this isn't a good time to ask. Well shoot, we should be through here by 1:00 -- how about I come over right after that and take a look at them?".

I think he knows I was kidding.

ez_pa_6

Freshman Member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a few posts that talk about their teenaged children driving their Triumphs. You guys that are carrying collector car insurance might want to check the fine print on your policies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point Bill. I currently have traditional State Farm but have been considering collector car insurance. I will pay attention to any youth driver clause!
Ed

OP
G

Ed,
Standard auto insurance is never going to cover the cost of an older, collectable insurance, except for liability. There is not even a Blue Book value on these old cars. My company, American Collector, out of Cherry Hill, NJ, has my 73 TR6 insured for $26,500.00, no deductible, and all the other attachments, like liablity, etc. That said, I had to submit a reasonable list of receipts (probably a legitimate appraisal would do) as well as a set of good photos. They also limit the mileage to 2500 miles per year, but aren't that concerned about how much you drive. No one with less than 10 years driving experience is allowed to drive the car. Total cost: $186.00 per year. I asked how they could insure the car so cheaply and they said that the average collector car owner takes better care of their car than they do of their wife.

Bill

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...I currently have traditional State Farm but have been considering collector car insurance...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask your State farm agent about endorsement '6171BC Antique or Classic Motor Vehicle'. Uses an agreed upon actual cash value that is shown on the declarations page. They required an appraisal when the endorsement was added -- since then I have increased the amount from time to time with just a phone call.

An advantage of this over a classic car carrier is that the liability on the vehicle remains under your State Farm umbrella policy if you have one.

Discalimer: no financial interest. I realize some like State Farm and some hate them, but that can probably be said of most insurance companies... they just happen to be the biggest.

ez_pa_6

Freshman Member
Country flag
Bill and George,

Thanks for the advice. I had recently come to the realization that my existing State Farm coverage was inadequate. Insurance has always been a head in the sand issue for me. This is a huge help

Ed