• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My BJ7 suspension upgrades

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just finished a write-up on my AH BJ7 suspension and chassis upgrades for my website. I thought that some BCF participant might find a nugget in amongst the ramblings. I'm not suggesting that this is a definitive suspension upgrade.....it's just what I've choosen to do. So FWIW Go to the following URL for the whole write-up.

https://stevesaustinhealey.com/inde...suspension-upgrades&catid=2:projects&Itemid=3

If you've got other suggestions or comments on these choices I'd be happy to hear them.

Cheers,
Steve Thomton
1963 Works Rally replica w/EFI, etc.

Attachments

• 16354.jpg
    16354.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 334
OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Anthony7777, Pic #2 in the write-up shows the attachment for the top of the front Bilstein shocks and Pic #3 shows the attachment for the top of the rear shocks. Maybe I'm not understanding the question. For the front Bilstein shocks the front two bolts of the stock shocks are replaced with long bolts and spacers to attach the new brackets. In the rear, the bracket for the Bilsteins attaches to the original shock mount.

Steve

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Steve,
Great account of your suspension and steering improvements on your web site! As I have said before, you web site is as well engineered as your car. Did you custom make the forward mounting brackets for the control arms or are those BJ8 brackets used on your BJ7? Having a BT7, I am not familiar with the BJ8 bracketing. I do like the addition of the control arms.

The car is really looking great!!!!!

Lin

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Steve,
How did you arrive at a choice of bilstein model? as I had them on my beach buggy but took them off due to their being too stiff for the weight of the car, ended up back with stock shocks due to them not having a softer choice, does bilstein now have a chart to use for choice now?

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
:thumbsup: Excellent work Steve, Donald Healey would be proud. Sometimes I wish all these modifications could've been allowed by BMC and sold as a modern AH. Perhaps BMC would still be in business.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the note Lin....always appreciate your feedback.

The forward mounting brackets for the radius control arms were included in the Cape International kit. They're welded to the stock front spring attachment point. (Pic shows brackets tacked into place for inital fitting.) The BJ8 control arms attach above the spring, rather than below as seen here. To attach the control arms above the springs the BJ8s have modified the sheet metal with pockets for the attachment points. I considered retro fitting the BJ8 methodology, but in the end decided the CI approach was the most practical.

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments

• 16360.jpg
    16360.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 287
OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Zblu, Udo Putzke takes the work out of that. He works for Bilstein, I'm not sure of his capacity. He has Bilstein revalve these specifically for the Healey....best I can tell driving it around the neighborhood, they are a great match for the car. I think Lin has Putzke's Bilstein kit on his car, maybe he can chime in with his opinion of the kit.

Steve

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Steve,
I've been in contact with steve norton at CI before, knows his stuff,
and look forward to further info on the shocks, are yours adjustable?

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Genos2

Jedi Trainee
Great looking rear suspension,got konis on my '63-BJ7, didn't put rears on, left it stock(new).I've seen& worked on them w/konis in the rear& seen brackets pulled through the sheet-metal. This,plus radius rods looks much better. Very clean app. Cheers

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Tube versus good rebuilt levers by Peter at world wide auto parts has been debated over and over again. I really don't know which is the better route. I do know that I like my Bilsteins. I think Udo got the valving right! Kudos to him.

Lin

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Nice work. I have had Bilsteins from Putzke on my 100 for about five years and like them alot. The only problem I have experienced is that the bottom bolt on the right rear shock would keep backing out. I ultimately solved this by drilling out the blind hole into which it fastened and through-bolted it.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
What a great build, Steve! I've always loved the look of the works cars. I'm doing some mods on my BJ7 as well: "The Exploder" and have been looking at many of the same chassis upgrades as you. I know I'm going to need some traction bars, but I think I'm going to go this route: Easy-Traction. Will be following your progress with anticipation.

Rick