• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB MGB - Chrome vs Rubber Bumper [funct. differences]

dklawson

Yoda
My older son is reaching the age where he'll begin driving. He's NOT going to drive our GT6 or the Mini. However, I'd like to pick up another, simple LBC so that he can learn the basics of how a car works and how to service them. I really don't want anything Japanese or computer controlled.

The problem I have is balancing budget with condition. I'd prefer an older MGB as they are more "basic" and I'm more familiar with them. However, the ones in my area all seem to have rotten sills and/or floors. While I could do those repairs, I don't really want a project car at the moment and I don't want the added expense above the purchase price of the car.

The local MGBs in better condition appear to be the rubber bumper cars. There happens to be a '76 rubber bumper B not far from here. However, I'm totally unfamiliar with what emissions and additional electrical/electronic stuff BL added to the rubber bumper cars. I'm also uncertain how they handle and drive compared to the early cars.

I'm sure the topic has been beaten to death on this forum. Nonetheless, please offer your comments and direct me to other threads and/or web sites that will enlighten me on what problems I will run into if I go for the rubber bumper cars compared to the early ones. All opinions are welcome. Thanks.

terriphill

Darth Vader
I'm not sure if this helps or not, but, our oldest son began his first car work on a 1986 Toyota Supra. It had a computer and more vacume lines than I could follow, but with the internet and numerous forums dedicated to this car, it got him through High School. He sold it and bought a Turbo model about a year ago and has done some really incredible work on it (He actually converted it from an automatic to a 5-speed with his graduation money)

Our young son is presently starting in on a 1980 280 ZX--another car that looks too complicated for me to fathom.

I bought myself a 1977 MIdget thinking it was going to be "less complicated" it turned out to be the most complicated rebuild we have done! Go figure.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have my first 70s British car, a '79 MGB, the later cars have single carbs and a higher ride, height, but the single carb does not make the car simpler, as it has many systems to for emission controls, water choke, etc.

That being said it is you might find one that goes just fine, if the choice is between a rusty 60s car or a solid 70s B go for the good metal.

If you live in a state that does not do emmission testing it is fairly strighforward to convert to the earlier carbs if you choose to, and that would be cheaper than extensive rust repair.

The all synch tranny in later cars (1968 on?) may be a better thing, especially for a young driver who may not always be real careful with the non synch first, then again you can retrofit a later tranny to an earlier car as well.

The one thing I like about my later B, the electric fans do a good job of cooling the car at idle and in traffic.

Phantomracer

I would go with a 77+ B as they have rear sway bars the earlier RB didn't, as well as other more modern features.

I, personally, prefer RB MGB (in the small minority). But I own a 72 and an 80 and prefer the 80. A RB can be lowered to CB levels and retain the lighter steering and other features (including virtually bullet proof bumpers). CB cars have, well, chrome bumpers. If they get damaged (it takes very little effort to damage them) the aftermarket replacements are marginal at best (but improving a bit)

Most here will recommend a CB car..

Getting into bodywork may seem romantic.. but after a few days of grinding..and drilling spot welds..gets old.. getting one done, or mostly done is the best way to go..you will drive it sooner and be more reliable..and cost less in the end..

the old saying still sticks..buy the best you can afford.

Paul

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
The battering rams and raised ride height of the later cars might also fare a little better against modern iron in parking lots and such.

Greg

OP
dklawson

dklawson

Yoda
I had not considered the "battering ram" aspect of rubber bumpers and potentially better protection for a new driver (and protection for those around him).

I'm not intimidated by any of the tasks such as the bodywork (I've done sills on other cars before... just not ones as complicated as they appear to be on MGBs). However, I passed on a couple of other cars because I really want to start this experience by driving (not trailering) the car home. I'm also not put off by multiple carbs or such. However, I've never had to deal with gulp valves, air pumps, anti-run-on valves and such.

I considered Hondas and Toyotas only briefly. I'm not trying to turn my son into a maniac, but I remember how important it was as a teen to have something unique and different. In a sea of Asian iron, an LBC (a car that can sometimes be repaired on the side of the road with basic tools and knowledge) will certainly be unique.

Thanks for the observations on the RB cars. I will weigh them in our decision. All additional comments and suggestions are welcome.

74.5 has dual HIF-4 carbs, 75+ has single ZS carb (non-manual choke/auto-fuel enrichment). Emissions include EGR, PCV, Cat converter, air injection, charcoal canister. Not too much extra stuff than an older car.
Suspension is about an inch or so higher, but still corners nicely. The bumpers are pretty heavy, but as said above, easy to touch up with some satin black rattle can paint.

77+ has the newer dash, front and rear hd swaybars (either 75 or 76 had no swaybars at all - not sure which or both), horrible electronic ignition (that can be remedied with an older dizzy), the wicker-look vinyl seats, and I think hardened valve seats (already set up for unleaded fuel). As a plus, it's also set up to hold a rover v-8, should you ever decide to go that route.