• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

May 8th fun run

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Some friends and I are planning a little trip in the SC/NC
mountains for May 8th. Day run. Less than 100 miles total.
Great roads. Stop for lunch in Hendersonville. Do some shopping
along the way. Nothing competitive just a fun run.
It will be an eclectic group. LBC, SLK, Porsche, BMW, Miata,
Caterham,Land Cruisers...you name it.
Thinking about a cookout back here at Point-o-View afterward.
Anyhow, here's an update and solicitation of yer input from
a cross post to another forum.
All are welcome. Just gimme a heads up for planning purposes.

Well, we took the B out for a spin up to Hendersonville
via the twisties. GREAT drive. Ate in downtown.
Question: I think I've narrow the lunch spot down to 2.
Some of us know Haus Heidelberg as a fantastic German eatery.
We've been dining there for over 20 years.
Today we ate at an Irish Pub downtown. Wonderful place.
Owner even has a race car.
The Original Hannah Flanagan’s Pub and Eatery | Hendersonville, NC

Now here is how I see it.
German: great food will take reservation and parking is no problem.
Great beer but only beer and not in downtown with the cool shopping.
Irish : great food AND full service bar. Parking in downtown Hendersonville is
TOUGH. Shopping is downtown where the Pub is located. They will take reservations too.

What say yee?

I vote the Pub and get there early enough to scrounge up parking.
I defer to the group's wishes however.

For reservations we need a head count 2 weeks in advance or about 3 weeks from today.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Hanna's is great. Good food and usually they have some sort of beer special. Last time I was there they had $1 pints of Guinness :wink: Parking on main street is usually a bear there, especially for a group of cars. Since its Saturday though, there is probably some bank parking lot or something we can use and then walk to Hanna's. I should be available to go play in the little cars that day. Where is the meeting point going to be? Sounds like too big a crowd for the "boiled peanut" stopping point on Hwy 11. I don't think I ever ate at house Heidelberg, I should try it sometime, but there is one here in Skyland that is excellent called "black Forest" that has great German food. Maybe the Heidelberg place would be better because of that parking. I am game for whichever, I work in Hendersonville.

OP
Gundy

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
I was thinking Aunt Sue's on Hwy #11 for the meet up spot. Plenty of parking. They host my Land Cruiser club yearly meeting there. 50+ trucks and the crowd sometimes approaches 100. I was thinking about meeting 10:30 ish. Hit the road at 11 or so.

OP
Gundy

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
bump

Aunt Sue's around 11ish. Lunch at the Pub in Hendersonville.
So far it is a small group. Me(BE),Kim(Midget),Alan(Caterham),
JP(7 series BMW) and Steen(Porsche 933).
Just a short day trip. Under a 100 miles. 4-5 hours including a lunch.
Any and all are welcome. Post up if wish to join us.
:driving:

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi David,

I wish a had a "Driving" car to join Y`All but "NOT" (Not Yet Anyway)!

Which car will you be driving; The "B/E or MGB"? Which ever one you decide "NOT" to drive; I`d be happy to be the pilot of that car.

Let me know,

Regards, Russ

David, got your message this week, been trying to catch since I was at the Mitty. Guess you have not heard, I was driving the MGB GT to the Mitty, and she blew :frown: A rod starting knocking, I was always uncomfortable having this car with a engine built by someone else. As you know I have already been ganging up parts to build a new 1900 trick engine with the new 5 speed kit, guess that deal get accelerated now. I'd like to think I could have the new powerplant up and going before the June 19th rally, we'll see, thats a lot of ground to cover between now and then. Needless to say, you know where I'll be spending my weekends for the near future.

Have fun.

OP
Gundy

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
1900 AND a 5 speed. Wow. Sorry to hear about the blown engine however.
Anything I can do let me know.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's a bummer, Hap. the only nice thing is you'll get to work on your own stuff for a change.

Of course, that doesn't pay nearly as well, but it's probably a lot more fun.
grin.gif

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Hap Waldrop said:
David, got your message this week, been trying to catch since I was at the Mitty. Guess you have not heard, I was driving the MGB GT to the Mitty, and she blew :frown: A rod starting knocking, I was always uncomfortable having this car with a engine built by someone else. As you know I have already been ganging up parts to build a new 1900 trick engine with the new 5 speed kit, guess that deal get accelerated now. I'd like to think I could have the new powerplant up and going before the June 19th rally, we'll see, thats a lot of ground to cover between now and then. Needless to say, you know where I'll be spending my weekends for the near future.

Have fun.
Well, its not like you were driving that one easy Hap, I followed you :smile: I guess you will be using that Ford T9 (Ford sierra in UK)kit you were telling me about, or are you using something else? That happened just in time for the nice warm weather too :wink: When you get that new motor in I won't be able to keep you in sight LOL

OP
Gundy

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
regularman said:
Hap Waldrop said:

Have fun.
Well, its not like you were driving that one easy Hap, I followed you :smile: I guess you will be using that Ford T9 (Ford sierra in UK)kit you were telling me about, or are you using something else? That happened just in time for the nice warm weather too :wink: When you get that new motor in I won't be able to keep you in sight LOL

Naw...Hap's a good sport. He'll go slow enough for us to keep him in sight. Just don't try a pass. That's when the gloves come off.
:jester:

Yep, new T9 5 speed, and a real whopper motor built to last this time around :smile:
Heck I don't want it, if I have to baby it :smile:

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Guys, I am sorry I missed the ride yesterday. Things just were not going my way and other stuff just took priority. This whole life thing just gets in the way of playing with these little cars. I will be there the next time.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Hap Waldrop said:
Yep, new T9 5 speed, and a real whopper motor built to last this time around :smile:
Heck I don't want it, if I have to baby it :smile:
You going to leave it + ground? I been thinking of a way to use a regular single wire alternator and do the conversion and still keep it pretty much original so you can go back if you want to. Plus you can then add some more electrical toys if need be. Or you could convert it totally to - ground. Just thinking.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Hap Waldrop said:
I'm all ears, I know you know your electrical.
If there were some brackets that were not conductive that would hold up for an alternator mount, it could be done. Otherwise the built in regulator diodes always make the housing of the alternator negative and with it mounted to the engine with steel then it won't work on a + ground. Isolated though, You could connect the housing of the alternator to the - on the battery and the + output on the alternator to ground on the engine or frame. I wonder if anybody makes an externally regulated alternator any more. The Alternators put out 3 phase a/c and then the diodes rectify that into DC + or - depending on the direction of the diodes. With an external regulated alternator where the regulator mounts on the frame, we could work on the diodes and make it positive ground.
I am still thinking on this.

Country flag
Send Jim Blackwood an email. He just made a stubby alternator for one of his projects and it uses an external regulator.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Gundy, anybody know ho he is doing? I don't know the whole thing on how he got hurt but I can't help feeling bad because I was supposed to be there that day and what ever he was lifting might have been better with two people, plus I carry all kinds of extra stuff. I don't call wreckers unless I wreck.

OP
Gundy

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
regularman said:
Gundy, anybody know ho he is doing? I don't know the whole thing on how he got hurt but I can't help feeling bad because I was supposed to be there that day and what ever he was lifting might have been better with two people, plus I carry all kinds of extra stuff. I don't call wreckers unless I wreck.

I'm doing fine...well fine as someone with a broken back can be I guess. Love those meds. Better living through chemistry.
:jester:
I see the orthopedic surgeon Tuesday. I think I'm a candidate
for that bone cement stuff. Quick fix or so I'm told.
Screamin' Mimi is back home in the Buggy Barn and all
ready to roll when I can get behind the wheel.
Doctors say it was a million to one shot that I'm not paralyzed.
The vertebrae broke all around and it just went back together
with no missing pieces or fragments. Like broken china
where when you put the pieces back together you can hardy see the break line. No spinal cord damage and I have all my functions intact.
One said "You must pray a lot".
They all seemed amazed.
I've even been to Court hearings Monday,Thursday and today.
They were cases of extreme need and although the other lawyers
very happy to continue the matters these matters were VERY
important to the people involved. It wasn't an injury to my mouth or brain. So I can still be an effective advocate.
Shhhh...don't tell my Doctors. They would have a hissy fit.
A weekend in bed should really help.
I'm headed back to bed now. I got up for dinner and checked
my e-mail and the forums.
I'll be fine. I'm just warming the bench for a few plays.