• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Looking for early disk brake steering arms, BTA 648 and BTA 649

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
I need them for a Bugeye disk brake conversion--when I bought parts I wound up with a late model suspension, which don't fit the BE rack. I know I can get them on ebay--I was just hoping someone on the Forum has some spares cluttering up their garage they would like to get rid of :fat:.

Charlie

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Hi Charlie,

I need them for a Bugeye disk brake conversion--when I bought parts I wound up with a late model suspension, which don't fit the BE rack. I know I can get them on ebay--I was just hoping someone on the Forum has some spares cluttering up their garage they would like to get rid of :fat:.

One of the first things I did to my Bugeye was the same disk brake conversion. I remember that the steering arms that came with the parts I bought wouldn't fit either, but (IIRC) I was able to use the ones that were on the old drum brake spindles that I had removed from the car. Have you tried this?

Dan

OP
The_architect

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Yes, Daniel I did try that. Cleaned em painted em, they look great. Bolted them up bent the tab washers in place...and then I tried to put the tie rods on.

They won't clear the dust covers, they block the tie rod ends from going on--some people omit these covers, and I suppose if I left them off they might fit, but it looks like the tie rod end would be very close to the disk, and I don't suppose it would do them any good to have road grit flung at them.

I also tried attaching the tie rod ends first, but they won't bolt up. The arms appear a little shorter--I surmise that is why a different arm was used when they went to the disk brake. Very disappointing. I am SO close to finishing this job and then this! Charlie

nomad

Yoda
I fitted disc brakes to my BE and don't remember having any trouble at all. How many different steering arm's are there?

Kurt

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
When I did the Tunebug's disc brake conversion I used the steering arms from the Bugeye. Everything fit fine including the disc brake dust cover/backing plate. Not sure what you're running into.

Here are my notes from that conversion:
https://www.drooartz.com/index.php?page=61

OP
The_architect

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Drew, your narrative was a resource that inspired me to do this :friendly_wink:.

I don't know what the problem is either.

Kurt, from my research there are three steering arms. The Bugeye is ATA 4130 and ATA 4131. For the early disk brakes there are the BTA 648 and BTA 649--these fit the Morris steering rack.

Then there is a third type the AHA 9957 and AHA 9958, which are the latest and fit the Spitfire rack. The opening in these is too small to fit the Bugeye tie rod end, and the Spitfire tie rod ends are too small to screw onto the Bugeye tie rods.

It looks like they might go on if I ground a bit off the tie rod ends but it would still be close--plus I am very cautious about grinding off load-bearing parts. Tie rod ends absorb a lot of stress.

OP
The_architect

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Just a followup. I spoke to Peter C. who confirms I need the later arms (with all due respect to Dan and Drew). But he only had two lefties.

Let me know, anyone, if you have any to sell.

Thanks,
Charlie

nomad

Yoda
That's right....forgot about the spitfire rack. 70's till the end of production. I have what you need but the spindle's are holding up a parts car right now! I'll look farther.

Kurt.

mk2sprite

Jedi Hopeful
I'd grab those. Saw some last night for $90/pair, they may have been NOS?
I will take a look in the garage today but think I only have early ones.

OP
The_architect

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Kurt, this would be helpful. Thank you VERY much.

Guy: The Ebay listing to which you refer has only appeared since I posted my query here.

It does NOT list the part numbers, so it is only what you call, "a no brainer" if they are the ones I need (I already made a query about the part numbers before your post, to which the seller has not replied. Likewise, British Masters has not replied either to my query or my phone call inquiring about the part numbers associated with the part in their listing. I have also asked a couple of the other usual suspects neither of them could help me out).

As I said in the original post, I was only asking in case someone here has some they want to get rid of. I'm not asking for a handout, and yes, eventually I will have to pay whatever it takes to get them.

Indeed this is one of those cases where it makes no sense to pay a huge premium for NOS.

People here are often glad to help someone out and they appreciate someone helping them get rid of their surplus. It would seem there is no harm in asking (although asking for any kind of help ever is not really part of my personality and really difficult for me to do :fat:.)

Last edited:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just a followup. I spoke to Peter C. who confirms I need the later arms (with all due respect to Dan and Drew). But he only had two lefties.

Can be a funny thing with these cars -- works on one car, not on another. Things also get switched on any given car over their 50+ years of service, so who knows sometimes what is there.

Good luck with your hunt. I'm doing this conversion again, this time with Penny the Bugeye so we'll see what works this time around.

Last edited:
OP
The_architect

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Hi MK2, BTA 649 appears to be the left side (I am going by an Ebay listing here, since I don't have the parts in hand obviously). New Hyde Park--I lived in Manhattan for 20 yrs and one of my best friends lives in Rockville Centre. Do you work in the City? I miss it.

Drew--you are right about who knows what parts are on our cars, and I have been told simple castings like these were made by many different local foundries and there are many variations that may carry the same part numbers. So when you do this job look for swivel axles with early arms.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Can't you just get the correct tie rod ends to fit the steering arms you have?
Rut

OP
The_architect

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Rut, I was not aware that there is a difference between the early drum brake tie rod ends and the early disk brake tie rod ends--VB only lists one PN for this. Did you change them when you did this job (I think I remember you writing that you had converted to disk brakes)? I have already tried tie rod ends for the Spitfire rack and they do not fit the Morris rack.

MK2 thanks for checking.
Best CL

nomad

Yoda
Last I looked at this post I thought your problem was solved. Haven't checked the stash yet but will.

Kurt.