• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Looking for a Rover 215 motor.

ScottDavid82

Freshman Member
I'm thinking about putting an Rover v8 in, or should I keep the 4 cyl.

And were can I find a Rover v8, there so darn hard to find.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Finding the motor is the easiest cheapest part. Finding the right timing cover, oil pan, intake, carb, flywheel, bell housing, headers, motor mount brackets, driveshaft, etc. is the expensive hard part. Good luck.

What year is your MGB? Rubber bumpered models usually require less engine bay/transmission tunnel than the chrome bumpered models.

Buick/Olds/Pontiac/Rover (BOPR) is what your after for the factory-style block.

Here's D&D's website: https://www.aluminumv8.com/

I used a Rover 3.9 litre and had it bored & stroked to about 5.0 litre.

And don't rule out the Ford 302. In all likelyhood, it may be less expensive oin the long run to use this motor.

I've also seen a couple of LS3 conversions.

You'll probably want a BorgWarner T-5 transmission. There are Ford and Chevy versions as well as V6 and V8 versions. Do you homework for what gear ratio will give you the performance you desire.

I used a T5 from a late 80's Camaro V8. It has a 0.63 final drive gear.

Your stock MGB 3.9 differential will most likely be strong enough for a stock BOPR or Ford 302. If you beef it up, you may want to look at a Ford or Dana differential

I used a Ford 8" from a late 70's Granada and had it narrowed. I also had an Auburn 3.27 positrack gearset installed.

You might want to peruse https://www.britishv8.org as it has a wealth of information to be discovered.

Safety/Faster!

Country flag
Scott,

I am a ways from you, but I have a Buick 215 motor, complete down to the flywheel. Shipping would probably be has much as the cost of the motor but PM me if you are interested.

Marv

jclay

I will have a Triumph TR8 FI 3.5 available in a few months.

CurtisJ

Jedi Hopeful
The BritishV8 website has an active classified ad section, and at least one aluminum V8 has been listed for sale recently.

Lots and lots of Range Rovers in this area (near Denver), so it's hard for me to relate to people having trouble finding suitable motors locally.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Scott - where in CA are you? I'm in SoCal and have a full set up including the rear axle, 5 speed and FI engine.

Drop me a PM is you are interested.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just to confuse the issue a bit, have you considered a GM V6? I'm in the beginning stages of converting a GT to a crate 3.4. Fewer hassles, and plenty of power on tap.

Mickey Richaud said:
Just to confuse the issue a bit, have you considered a GM V6? I'm in the beginning stages of converting a GT to a crate 3.4. Fewer hassles, and plenty of power on tap.

I wouldn't say there are fewer hassles with a V6 conversion...either conversion has its pros and cons...but there is nothing like the sound of a V8.

OP
S

ScottDavid82

Freshman Member
thanks for all the info guys. But we just had our baby, so my car plans are now on hold. Again thanks for the info.