• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

London

jandkellis

I will be visiting London in a few weeks and wondering if there is anything "Healey" to see and do in the vicinity. I would appreciate any info for planning purposes. Thanks, Jim "Red Rover"

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
How far do you want to travel outside of greater London, or are you staying within the confines of the city?

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
Southern Carburettors used to be in Wimbledon. Not sure if they still are. I visited and found those tiny cotter ("split") pins used on carb linkages that weren't in their catalog. Worth the trip (to Wimbledon from London, that is!).

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello Jim,

define vicinity. Europe is small...

If you visit UK and you are a old car nut you have to visit the Goodwood revival meeting. In September it is a british car event with a Healey competition in netherland Zandvoort on the other side of the channel . Or Beaulieu autojumble in sept. Not near to London but amazing. I was in London last year with my 14 years old daughter, and we speak sometimes about our trip to camden lock town stabels market. A funny shopping trip very vintage and colourfull.
Also a must is the Portobello road market. Some dealers ar having expensive old Healey model cars ....for you
The crown juwels are also interesting. Use the tube, it is very fast to travel with the London people trough the city. But mind the gap...
If you have a week ticket for the tube from National Rail you can also travel with the double decker bus . Very funny to sit ubstairs on the front.

But back to your question. Travel at september and rent a car to drive to Goodwood. This was the best what I have seen of our hobby. Attention : You haveo to be weared time area authentic..

Bye Michel- who love London

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Last edited:
OP
J

jandkellis

How far do you want to travel outside of greater London, or are you staying within the confines of the city?
Hello Simon,
We will be renting a residence in London and day-tripping from there. We will also spend a few days in Paris.
Thanks for your response.
Jim

OP
J

jandkellis

Southern Carburettors used to be in Wimbledon. Not sure if they still are. I visited and found those tiny cotter ("split") pins used on carb linkages that weren't in their catalog. Worth the trip (to Wimbledon from London, that is!).

Thanks for the info.
Jim

OP
J

jandkellis

Hello Jim,

define vicinity. Europe is small...

If you visit UK and you are a old car nut you have to visit the Goodwood revival meeting. In September it is a british car event with a Healey competition in netherland Zandvoort on the other side of the channel . Or Beaulieu autojumble in sept. Not near to London but amazing. I was in London last year with my 14 years old daughter, and we speak sometimes about our trip to camden lock town stabels market. A funny shopping trip very vintage and colourfull.
Also a must is the Portobello road market. Some dealers ar having expensive old Healey model cars ....for you
The crown juwels are also interesting. Use the tube, it is very fast to travel with the London people trough the city. But mind the gap...
If you have a week ticket for the tube from National Rail you can also travel with the double decker bus . Very funny to sit ubstairs on the front.

But back to your question. Travel at september and rent a car to drive to Goodwood. This was the best what I have seen of our hobby. Attention : You haveo to be weared time area authentic..

Bye Michel- who love London

Thanks Michel, I'll check out the Healey events you mention.
Jim

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well, if you are "day-tripping" consider going to Warwick, the home of Healey Motors, This is close to Gaydon Auto Museum as well as other very nice tourist areas such as Warwick castle, Stratford upon Avon.
https://www.jmehealeys.co.uk/JME Home.html these guys are actually in the old Healey works. Go have a drink where Donald and Gerry Coker and team would go after work. https://www.thecapeofgoodhopepub.com/

Heading west out of London there is a ton to do. I grew up in the Thames Valley near Windsor. If you had the desire to head to the West Country, down to Cornwall, Donald's birthplace and home, then there is the Haynes Motor Museum in Somerset I believe?

https://www.classicshowsuk.co.uk/ is a good site to find some local car shows.

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
John Chatham and Bill Rawles are both probably less than two hours on a train, so could be worth a trip if you have time.

Superwrench

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
When I was there we went to the Morgan Factory in Malvern. It was around a 3 1/2 train ride. You can walk to the factory from the station. It was well worth it to see them hand building the cars. If you go you have to call and make a appointment to get the tour. Good luck.