• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lock core removal

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Its been a while, but I need to replace my combo switch, and I can't recall how to remove the lock cylinder from the switch. Can someone refresh my memory?

dklawson

Yoda
Combo switch? Do you mean ignition switch?

If that is what you mean, you need the key and the lock out of the dash. Remove the mounting nut from the threads and examine the sides of the switch housing. Look for a hole. Put the key in the lock and turn it slowly while looking in the hole. Eventually you should see a small pin, probably brass. Depress that pin with a bent paperclip or similar and then pull the core out of the lock body using the key.

nomad

Yoda
Any way to do this without the key? I have some parts switches that would be useable if I could get the lock tumbler out or know what key they take.

Kurt.

RyanBez

Jedi Hopeful
nomad said:
Any way to do this without the key? I have some parts switches that would be useable if I could get the lock tumbler out or know what key they take.

Kurt.

It really depends on when that safety feature came into place...the make it so you need the key to prevent people from hot wiring the car...imagine how easy it would be if you just needed to pop the tumbler out and replace it with your own!

I really don't know when they started doing this, but I imagine it has been for a while...

nomad

Yoda
Well I realize the purpose of the original design but was hoping there was a trick. I imagine a lock smith might be able to use picks or have the few key codes the british used so when I have time and find a smith with time I may just dump a pile of stuff on his bench!

Kurt.

dklawson

Yoda
Well... if you don't have the key and you are replacing the core anyway... there is always the electric drill.

nomad

Yoda
True Doug---the easiest would be if someone had the different keys for the various Lucas lock tumblers. As I remember there were not that many.

Kurt.

dklawson

Yoda
I have never been lucky enough to find the key code numbers on the locks in any of my British cars. However, supposedly if you have those numbers there are locksmiths who can cut you new keys for old locks. I seem to remember one or two sellers on eBay who mentioned they offer the service.

nomad

Yoda
Yes, I have them saved and have had keys cut as to the code. But, like you, I can't see any numbers on the switch tumblers. Had them cut for boot locks and spare ignition by the number on the existing key. Boot [trunk] lock numbers are stamped on the square of the latch handle inside the trunk.

Kurt.

gprtech

Freshman Member
The requirement to have the key to remove the lock cylinder started in the early 1950s. Prior to that, you could remove a nut on the back of the lock and the cylinder would come out.

I can rekey any of the old British car locks. I also have complete "tryout sets" of keys for most of the early codes series, including FP,FA,FS & FR so that I can get the cylinders out or determine the correct codes.

I can give quote on request.

www.key-men.com

gpr@key-men.com

nomad

Yoda
Agree Bill, everyone needs access to this service. I'm going to be hunting up old switch's!

Kurt.