• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just bought another TR -- this time a 7

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Well, I've owned two 3s and a 250...now today I own a 1980 30th Anniversary TR7 Roadster. Just got in it and drove it 70 miles home.

It's vermillion (orange) with tartin red plaid interior. With the exception of a few minor dents that I should be able to work out from behind and the very faded carpets, it's in pretty good shape.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Congratulations!
It's good to see the rest of the world coming around to appreciate the last and best of the TRs. Well that may be overstating it just a little bit.
wink.gif
Hope you enjoy your 7 as much as we do ours. Is it Fuel injected? The California 1980s were.
driving.gif

Izual Angel

Jedi Trainee
Red with orange? Wild. Congrats on the purchase. Now you can be part of the cool crowd
smile.gif
j/k to all you other TR owners out there.

wrenchinhand

Freshman Member
Great to see another TR7 fall into a caring hand. And who wants the dependability of a Chevy anyway. There's something about a nice walk down a country road on a nice day to make you appreciate a nice LBC. You know with AAA, cell phones,etc. we just move to fast. Sitting along a road and a nice jaunt helps you collect your thoughts. My 4 year old Grandson reminds me of the day we picked wildflowers while waiting for a rescue.

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wrenchinhand:
And who wants the dependability of a Chevy anyway. <hr></blockquote>

Well, I already have two Corvettes, so I have dependable transportation, if needed.

The TR7 is a dual-Stromberg car. Actually, the car has a intermittent misfire and horrible throttle response, so the carbs probably need a rebuild, plus new tune-up pieces.

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Oh, I forgot to mention:
The car turned 49,000 miles on my way home. The car is actually 49K, not 149K!!!

And by the way, it's missing a few things, so if any TR7 owners have these spares, let me know:

-Wheel trim ring (missing one)
-Gas gauge
-antenna

It also needs a tune-up, rebuild kits for the carbs and probably a new exhaust manifold. It has an intermittent misfire and a small backfire from the exhaust leak...but it made it 70 miles no sweat. That's more miles in one sitting than I've put on the TR3!

James in Michigan

So the FUN begins!!! Welcome to TR7 Land, especially with fellow 30th anniversary 'ers.I know that isn't a webster recognised word, but he isn't around to make me change it.

I do have some spare stuff that will fit your car, but nothing you mentioned. Have headlight assemblies, trans, radiator, wiper assembly transmission, some very odd looking bolts too...

Now all I have to do is finish the 2nd bathroom downstairs and then I can work on my TR7...

Good luck
James

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> And by the way, it's missing a few things, so if any TR7 owners have these spares, let me know:

-Wheel trim ring (missing one)
-Gas gauge
-antenna
<hr></blockquote>

I don't have any of those items, but there's been quite a few of them listed on EBay lately....

Congrats to another "wedgie." Finally going to get some warmer weather here in Utah this week, and may try and rouse mine from it's winter hibernation.

Mark Beiser

Jedi Warrior
While your at the tune up and carb rebuild, it would be a good idea to retorque the head also.

Welcome to Wedgeworld a very happy place and congrats on your new acquistion. I would say good luck but a man that has owned so many cool cars has all the luck he could possibly need! Let me get some!
wink.gif

steve99

Jedi Trainee
Sammy,

Congrats!! When you get to the carbs, make sure you check the fuel tank, lines, and inside of the fuel pump for rust. I bought my 79 last summer with 42K on it, and was surprised how much rust I pulled out of the fuel system.

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Wow...
ok. Today I searched in the trunk/boot and found:
- the missing wheel trim ring
- manuals, shop book
- receipts for $4500 in work in 1999 (including new carbs, struts, exhaust.)

But I just noticed the gas cap is broken.

If anyone has an extra gas cap, let me know.