• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ive searched/cant find thread master cylinder BE

jaegzie

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have a master cylinder from my BE and one from a 63 or 64 sprite. The one from the BE the pedals move but do not pump fluid, the one from the 63 appears to be in much beeter shape on the outside but the pedals wont budge. The brake pedal moves about an inch that is it.

2 questions:

Should I use the MC from the 64 sprite because the car had disk brakes which i put on my BE(my BE disk brakes came from a 74)?

What should I look for to see what is locking up the pedals?

TIA

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I think the '64 Sprite would be a dual 3/4" bore which is weird, most are 7/8". My '63 Midget had a 3/4" (first year for front disc) but it was too pitted to be useful without sending out for re-sleeve. I ended up with a 7/8" bore from an later car with bolts right in and works fine just changes the pedal feel a bit. I would suggest rebuilding your 3/4" one with new seals ($13 or so) but as you do it (and they are super easy to do) check the walls of the bore for pitting, you can hone it lightly but if there is scoring or pitting in there it will either not produce the pressure or chew up the seals quickly or both.
I'd imagine the reason why the '64 won't move the pedal much is because it's cruddy inside, thus the rebuild but also potential it has damaged bore walls.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I don't see how you could ruin it taking it apart unless you're careless mucking around in the bore with hard tools. I'd certainly take it apart, clean it up and if it looks like the walls of the bore are smooth, put new seals in and away you go. If not, you can have it sleeved for about $200 or so which is your only option for 3/4" ones as they don't make replacements. (I went with the 7/8" because I got a rebuildable one for $25 from a guy near me). I like the feel of the brake pedal just fine (it is different but not worse IMHO) the clutch with a 7/8" bore puts the "sweet spot" more in the center of the pedal where as I was used to it being right at the end (with the 3/4") and I think I liked it better before but no big deal.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Many times the pedals will not move because they are stuck to the pivot bolt.
Lots of oil, maybe some heat, get that bolt out and clean it up along with the sleeves of the pedals they ride in.

OP
jaegzie

jaegzie

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I got it working, I took the one from the 64 apart. All of the seals looked really good. What happened was the plungers were stuck. A little spray and some air from the air compressor popped them out, i carefully cleaned the sleeves, put it all back together. Works perfectly. I am going to do the same with the BE one, but that will be a spare. Thanks again for the replies.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Awesome