• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It lives!

Country flag
Finally got around to connecting the exhaust and firing up the Midget (it has been sitting for a few years).

Didn't want to start at first (seemed to get no spark). I double checked the static timing and it was OK. Firing order OK ... wait! I had the correct order, but was off by one position on the distributor. So it should fire now ... nope! What the heck? Started double checking... Argg when I switch the plug wires around I accidentally pulled the low tension wire off the coil. Now it should fire! Vrooom.

It started and ran iddling at 2000. Oil pressure shot up and the temperature hit 185 in a few minutes then the t-stat opened and the engine came up to operating temperature. Checked for leaks and was going to adjust the carbs, but too many fumes in the garage. I'll let the garage clear out and then set the carbs.

This is the engine that was originally in the Midget, but then was put in the Sprite with the SC, and is now back in the Midget with dual SUs. Eventually, I hope to fuel inject it and turbocharge.

Anyway, after I get the carbs sorted it will be on to bleeding the clutch and checking the brakes. Then testing the transmission and replacing any leaking seals (like the rear end pinion seal)

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Fun, ain't it? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congrats!
Mickey

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Like there was ever any doubt YOU would get that puppy fired.
WTG :cheers:

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Well I spent 45 minutes trying to find a vacuum leak causing high idle. Turns out the cold idle screw wasn't turn all the way out on the front carb. I really need to get some new glasses. :frown:

Morris

Yoda
I wish glasses would fix my problem... I need a new brain. :wink:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well done!

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Thanks,

I can not remember which cam is in this engine, but I know it doesn't want to idle well below 1000 rpms like the other one. I'm going to fix a few leaks and try to get the clutch working before it gets too hot in the garage.

I'd post a video, but frankly ... it is just pretty much bog standard at the moment.

I'm kinda of anxious to drive it again. If I drive it for a few weeks, then it will make my Sprite seem FAST again. :wink:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice Trevor, well done.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Clutch is now working and the brakes pass initial inspection. I'll need to do some road testing, but the transmission seems to be OK. I think I'll go ahead and get it insured as a road-going car and get some new license plates. I'll go ahead and put the bonnet back on and clean it up a bit.

I think I'll rework the Datsun gearshift this evening if it cools off a bit. Then I can clean up the interior. It's not a bad little car I'm not sure why I let it sit so long.