• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

installing upper A-frame bushings

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
I had no appreciable trouble with the lower arm bushings but cannot get the new upper arm bushings into the upper trunnion far enough to allow the upper arm to go around them - by about 1/4 inch. These are new bushes from Brit Vic.
Any ideas from those who have done this?

Guinn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

G

Can you put them in the A-arm before putting the a-arm on? Did you grease them a little? I am doing that now but on the Hawk conversion so it's slightly different. I found those bushings like to pop out when you push them on. I have had the best luck just manhandling them. Grab the bushing in the arm with my fist, getting a good hold of the car and push it on twisting back and forth. I put the flat washer on as soon as I can to help push it on further. I just had to get a little physical with them.

If this did not work for my I was going to weld on a "U" shape piece of steel to a set of "C"-clamps. Havn't had to do that yet.

Gary

Jim 67B

Jedi Hopeful
If you are talking about the bushings that are for the end of the shock arm, you will find that there is a bolt half way out on the shock arm. Back off the bolt to the end of the treads, don't take to bolt all the way off. This will allow you to spread the ends of the shock arms to fit the new bushings inside as you re-assemble. Re-tighten the bolt after you have fit the new bushing and inserted the upper trunnion bolt.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
If you are talking about the bushings that are for the end of the shock arm, you will find that there is a bolt half way out on the shock arm. Back off the bolt to the end of the threads, don't take the bolt all the way off. This will allow you to spread the ends of the shock arms to fit the new bushings inside as you re-assemble. Re-tighten the bolt after you have fit the new bushing and inserted the upper trunnion bolt.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that additionally, one of the shock arms is clamped onto it's horizontal shaft. Remove the clamp bolt & slide the arm out enough to get room for the bushings. Then proceed as above.
D

OP
Guinn

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
Thanks, all I couldn't find anything in the books so you are all life-savers! Will let you know how it comes out.

Guinn

OP
Guinn

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
Gow: I have been using Silicone spray on the bushings before sqeezing them in with a "c" clamp to get that final bit of bushing in. You can pad the "c"clamp but I don't think it is necessary. Now my problem is getting that step-bolt to line up. Aargh.

Guinn

OP
Guinn

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
Gow: This is basically what I have had to do to install the bushings: First, removing the fulcrum pin required some force so, instead of using a bigger hammer I used a 1" socket placed over the rounded end of the pin and an 8" C clamp placed so as to press the pin part way into the socket. Once the pin was moved part way out, it pulled out readily.

I cleaned the trunnion insides carefully, then sprayed silicone on the bushings and manually pressed them in place, then used a 4" C clamp to persuade them all the way in. Now I loosened bolts as described by Jim and Dave (above)and levered the arms apart enough to start the bushings in.

The biggest problem was figuring out how to aline the pin and push it through as the step-down catches on the distance tubes. I made an alignment pin from a 1/2" rod about 4" long. Tapered it back about 1/2" or so so it would go through the tubes smoothly. Then I used a jack and a 3/8 rod to align the arms and the trunnion fairly closely and drove the alignment pin in about 2 1/2 ". Had to re-adjust the jack and push a bit on the arms and re-install the alignment pin again. The fulcrum pin would still not go in as it hung up on the edges of the distance tubes. I used a fine file and just barely touched it to the sharp edge of the transition between the 1/2 dia and the smaller dia of the pin. I really mean I just barely touched it! Used the alignment pin again and this time the fulcrum pin slid right in (with just a bit of help from a small hammer). Bolted it all down and she is ready to go.

Hope this helps you and any others,

Guinn

G

Excelent Guinn. Mine is a little different but I got much of mine assembled this weekend:
Those slippery bushings sure like to pop out! I just need to finish the king pin and upper A-arms on left side.

Gary

Gary

mgbmedic

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
hey guinn, i just finished my fornt end. i didn't use the spring compressor after all. it was easier to use a floor jack, unbolting the inner 2 bolts on the lower pan, loosening the outer 2 bolts, then easing the jack down to release the spring. When reinstalling, reversing the procedure, the bolts simply lined right up. The upper bushing i used a gear puller with a bolt and washer in one end of the bushing and simply tightened the puller...easy. now, if i can just figure out how to post pictures, i can show off my new retro chrome bumpered 76 B. thanks for your encouraging words,