• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Installing new gasket on TR3 differential cover

M

Member 10617

I'm sure someone has done this: replaced a gasket on the TR3 differential cover. It LOOKS relatively easy... until one takes a closer look. There is a clip at the top of the cover that holds a brake line that runs across the face of the cover. This appears to make taking the cover off impossible without (a) removing the brake line, (b) bending the brake line (with possible breakage), (c) giving up entirely.

How does one go about this? I don't want to try this until someone with experience gives me some guidance.

Many thanks in advance.

Ed

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
When I did mine, I just bent the line up slightly, just enough to disengage the clip, and slid the cover out from under the line. Taking the line loose might be a better approach, but I didn't want to mess with it; and it seemed to work out just fine. YMMV of course.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Ed,

When I replaced the gasket on mine, I know I did not remove the brake line. I probably did it the same way Randall did. The other option would be to pry open the clip enough to slide it over the line to remove it. I replaced the gasket because I thought that was the source of the oil leak. It turned out to be a worn pinion seal not the gasket. When you have the cover off, check to make sure the bolt hole have not been distorted by over tightening in the past. If they are dimpled in, a little hammer work should flatten them.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

OP
M

Member 10617

Many thanks. I think I will try to pry the clip up a little so I can remove the cover, rather than messing with the brake line (which could be damaged).

I assume you are speaking of the bolt holes on the cover possibly being dimpled from over-tightening, just like what happens to the oil pan when the bolts on it are over-tightened. I don't know of any torque specifications for these bolts, so I guess I just have to tighten them "tight" (snug) but not "too tight." In other words, just play it by ear.

Ed

BTW -- When I go to put on the new gasket, should I coat each side with some gasket compound, or just put it on dry?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I, too, just prise that clip a bit and free the brake line.

The gaskets I got from Moss were very thin paper and didn't match the holes at all well. In the end I made my own. Used cork on one car and that thick black gasket paper (FLAPS) on the other -- I think the black paper was best.

I used Hylomar on both sides of the gasket... but then I use Hylomar on most anything: gaskets, hoses, bagels, toast, etc.

OP
M

Member 10617

I have an order into Moss for a gasket, but haven't received it yet. If it is very thin paper and doesn't match the holes, I'll try the black gasket paper.

Many thanks.

Ed

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
LexTR3 said:
I don't know of any torque specifications for these bolts,
It's in the Bentley/factory workshop manual : 16-18 ftlb.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]BTW -- When I go to put on the new gasket, should I coat each side with some gasket compound, or just put it on dry? [/QUOTE]
I coat both sides with a thin layer of Hylomar.

Also, when checking for flatness, I suggest using a small straight-edge, or better yet a block. I use the edge of my "machinist's square"
300px-SquareEngineersMachinist.jpg

FWIW, I've never found a flat one yet (even when I've previously straightened it myself, and carefully observed the correct bolt torque).

I also recommend new lockwashers every time. A box of 100 is only a couple of dollars from any hardware supply (eg MMC ) so IMO it's not worth taking a chance on the old ones.

PS, the gasket I got from TRF was medium gasket material (much heavier than paper) and fit perfectly.

OP
M

Member 10617

Randall,

Many thanks. You have given me the additonal information I need. I think I'll order a gasket from TRF and give it try.

PS: I've had a lot of work done to this little car of mine -- probably more than absolutely needed -- but now it is running "like new." I don't hesitate to jump in it and do a 75-100 mile road trip with little or no fear of something breaking down or falling off (although that could happen). People say that I should "show" the car, but that is not my aim. My aim is to DRIVE it and enjoy it. Information from this forum keeps me going.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Tr3aguy said:
Symptom of a mis-spent youth! :smile:

YMMV == Your Mileage May Vary, a copy of the disclaimer that the EPA used to put on new car mileage estimates (and which were generally regarded as fiction).

In this case, it just means that what worked for me might not work as well for you.

OP
M

Member 10617

48 years ago I drove a '58 TR3 from Tucson, Arizona, to upstate New York and back (including outracing a tornado in Oklahoma at 110 mph!). This week I'm going back to Tucson for a high school reunion, but not in the TR3. But I have to say, that car operated wonderfully from Tucson to New York, and back, and it was a comfortable ride (but then I was nearly 50 years younger!). I don't know if you can say than about many "true" sports cars.

Ed

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Ed -- don't know what your schedule is but if you're in Tucson on any Tuesday morning... the Starbucks on the NE corner of Grant & Swan is where the British cars and their owners meet. A group of a dozen or more will always be there starting at 7:30 am and staying until around 10:00.

OP
M

Member 10617

Hi, George,

Great. I'll be in Tucson on Tuesday -- leaving Wednesday -- and I will try to make it to your gathering.... but my family out there may have other plans for me because I haven't seen them for five years.

Ed