• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

In need of small part

T

Tinster

I am about to receive a very gracious gift of a
Paul Rego rebuilt original TR6 fuel pump. Is that
cool or what??

It will certainly be more reliable than my jerry
rigged made in India pump now in the car.

But it dawned on me this morning. I am not able to source
flanged copper pipe fittings. I've been carrying around two
useless spare mechanical pumps plus my fully functional electric fuel pump.

I had to have my other mechanical fuel pumps machined to remove the existing threads and new threads cut in so I
could install barbed nipple connectors for the fuel hose.

I really don't want to destroy the originality of Paul's fine work for lack of a flanged pipe fitting. I have one pipe on
hand.

So, I am asking the members, if I mail someone the two pieces I already have, could someone source about a two inch(2")
piece of flanged fuel pipe for me?? And put them together?

Many thanks, as always-Dale :savewave:

Here are the parts I have accumulated so far:

pipeflange.jpg

bash

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Dale

Those fittings are available from TRF. The fittings have part numbers 60176 and 60142.

The pipe is not available pre-bent from the usual sources, though there is a canadian chap on the 6-pack board who sells what looks to be a very nice stainless steel fuel pipe kit - Francois Faucher, I think his name is. Try www.hotantiqueauto.com

Cheers
Alistair

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Is there no Home Depot on the Island?

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Dale,

I use generic steel brake line for fuel lines. The tubing is available in a variety on lengths in 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 inch diameters. I buy a piece of the correct diameter that is longer than I need and remove the bubble flares and end fittings. Bend the tubing into the shape needed, cut to correct length, add compression fittings and olives then install.

A tubing bender is helpful, but if you don't have one it not a problem. A solid round object in the approximate diameter of the bend you are making is a good substitute tool. I find several short bends are better than trying to do it in one or two large bends. The one bend tends to crush the tube if you're not careful.

I checked with Advanced Auto Parts in Puerto Rico and they seem to carry brake line in there stores.

OP
T

Tinster

Dave et al-

I can purchase the pipe, not a problem.
I've looked high and low for someone to make the
required flare at the end of the pipe.

The flare is the issue, NOT the pipe.

Bending the pipe is also NOT an issue.

thanks,

dale

bash

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Dale

As I understand it the compression fitting doesn't need a flared end. The places I have seen a compression fitting, where an olive is used, (like the fuel line) use plain ends on the pipe. If I am wrong someone please correct me!

Alistair

OP
G

If you are still stuck in a couple of weeks you can have mine. I'm (still) waiting for the blanking plate that'll let me take off my pump...

RobT

Jedi Warrior
Wot Alistair said - no need to flair with a compression fitting. Just tighten it up and the nut "compresses" the ring around the pipe to make the seal. But of course check it feels nice and firm and the pipe is not going to pop out in case the Home Depot copper pipe is not quite to spec.

Rob.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Dale,

Ace Hardware should have what you need. It is called a compression sleeve and you show it in your photo, under the threaded fitting not on the pipe. Probably the size you need is 5/16 but measure you pipe to be sure. They are sometimes sold prepackaged in packages of 5 or 10 and sometimes loose. These compression sleeves when added to your pipe and threaded fittings should plumb you up.