• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I need some sage advice from my Elders, please...

timbn2

Jedi Hopeful
Greetings All,

Its been a while since I've posted anything. I hope everyones' New Year is off to a good start...

Here's my dilema. I am 36, have a good secure job, a 15 mo son and we are planning to have another baby soon.
The BN2 is bought and paid for. In its current state of disarray it will take a good $30k+ to get it where it deserves to be.
I have reluctantly come to the realization that this will be a 5-10 year job instead of the 2-3 I had origionaly thought (hoped).
My wife is... how shall i put it... not interested at all in anything with a motor. She does support the IDEA of me doing what i love, but in the financial persuit of that IDEA, could stoke out at any minute! Granted, I have spent no money on it in almost 9 months, but dear wife feels "there will be a better time" (does that phrase make ALL men cringe, or just me?)

Anyway, any sage advice on how to pursue this endeavor without sacrificing the wife (just yet /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif ) or the Healey would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all, Tim

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Is your Healey driveable and safe as it is? If so, why not drive it in the good weather and put off the restoration for another time. While most of us probably desire a really nice LBC, you can still have fun driving one that needs body and paint work. I would make sure I had good hydraulics (not that expensive). Even necessary engine rebuilds because of low oil pressure (bearings) can be put off awhile.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Re: I need some sage advice from my Elders, please

Tim,

Selling a disassembled (or even partially disassembled) car is usually pretty tough. A buyer doesn't know the totality of what he's getting (and not getting) until he has started the re-assembly process, and by that time it is "too late." Therefore, reluctance to take on such a project is not only understandable, it is also wise. So your potential buyers are fewer.

What you might do is (a) try to sell it at what you believe is a reasonable price, therefore demonstrating your sincerity about divesting your self of such things until "a better time" arrives, and (b) if you can't get a reasonable price, don't sell it at a big loss; instead, store the thing until "a better time" arrives.

Many regard the BN2 as a very desirable model, and whatever meager price you might obtain for it now is not worth and it and sacrifices future pleasure.

Randy_Gay

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Tim,
I appreciate what you are going through. Maybe what you have to ask yourself is do you want the car you now own or a nice British sports car in working order. If you want something to drive see if you can (a) get enough out of it to 'trade' for a running car. If your dream is the BN2 and you are willing to stretch out the time to restore it, as did I, then you could (b) set a budget per week to spend on it and work along as the dollars allow. Most impotant here is if you are going to do the work or someone else. If it's someone else I would probably go with option A. If you are going to do a lot yourself then it can be done, but not in 3 years. Best of luck

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior

Were you my son (I have a daughter your age) I would advise patience and fortitude. Keep the car. Whenever you have a few spare dollars, put them to good use. Buy only what you need for the task at hand. Many people invest thousands in parts for future use and they sit idle on a shelf for years. Learn as much about your car and its workings as you possibly can so that you can do the lion's share of the resto yourself. Try to engage your friends and family members in the process as well - that will make the work go faster and invest them in its eventual completion. Take it in little bites and eventually you'll have the car you want and deserve. Hey, there's no race and believe me no matter how nice the car, there's always something more to do.

A nice home, a happy family and Austin Healeys are not mutually exclusive. Rejoice my friend, you already have it all.
Randy
'66 BJ8, '68 E-Type OTS

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Well Tim, what is a better time? When do you start a college fund? If you wait ‘til the kids are done with higher education, take 4 years to restore the car, how old will you be? 62 before you can drive it? What will the cost of restoring a BN2 be at that time. In the 5 short years I’ve had my car, the prices for parts have gone up noticeably. Hard for me to give you advice, I’m not married. If you do put it off, I think you both should agree at what point you would pick it back up. I would keep the car, even if it was in cold storage. Every year they get a little harder to find.

P.S. yes the "there will be a better time" phrase does make me cringe too. I think that is reflected in the tone of my reply. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Randy Harris said:
Were you my son (I have a daughter your age) I would advise patience and fortitude. Keep the car. Whenever you have a few spare dollars, put them to good use. Buy only what you need for the task at hand. Many people invest thousands in parts for future use and they sit idle on a shelf for years. Learn as much about your car and its workings as you possibly can so that you can do the lion's share of the resto yourself. Try to engage your friends and family members in the process as well - that will make the work go faster and invest them in its eventual completion. Take it in little bites and eventually you'll have the car you want and deserve. Hey, there's no race and believe me no matter how nice the car, there's always something more to do.

A nice home, a happy family and Austin Healeys are not mutually exclusive. Rejoice my friend, you already have it all.
Randy

This is well said, I would only add to make a plan to bring the car to driving level and then stick to the plan. You will get far more enjoyment from both the process and then the driving and you will not get discouraged because you will see progress on your plan.

I know the following might sound a bit jaded, (I have been married 23 years and have 9 kids) but lowered expectations might bring you less anxiety and a bit more peace of mind.

Last year I saw a guy driving a really beat up 3000 in Scarsdale, NY (His was probably the only junker car in the town) He was wearing a "Healey grin", as he drove away the pipes sounded great, his license plate holder said: Lost in the Fifties. For me, it was a clarion moment.

When the car's running, pack a picnic basket and take the wife for a ride, it won't be long before she's converted. One more thing, you and your child(ren) will build a life-time of memories driving, and working on, "Dad's Healey"

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

Hi Tim,

Your wife sounds practical and understanding.
Is it money or your time spent working on the car that tips the scale?

Personal experience, I enjoy working on my car. I knew nothing about my Healey before it was in my garage. My Dad owned one when I was a kid and always wanted one. Owning a Healey truly is a hobby. And this hobby will keep you with in calling distance when you have a wife and kids. I'm out here in the garage if you need me or want to join in the fun. There are a lot of hobbies to have, and few that keep you in the house so to say.

If you have room in your garage and can keep the Healey and all the parts out of the way of the other real-estate of the garage; I'd consider keeping it. As an ongoing hobby, rather than I want a Healey to drive now. Negotiate a few days a month, and a not to exceed amount out of your paycheck. Honey, can I have an allowance, you know for my hobby? You can have the same allowance for your hobby, you know, shoes.

Most likely costs more down the road to buy another Healey, finished or you restore, will be much more. As mentioned, these cars are getting harder to find. They are being restored and the prices are rising fast.

Best of luck in what you do.
Roger

Patton

Jedi Warrior

I can relate, though I am only your "elder" by 2 years. Between the demands from work and those of raising 4 year old and 17 month old daughters with my wife, finding Healey time and money can be a challenge. I'm practically stalled on my BN4 with only the interior and chrome left to install.

For the money, it's a pretty easy case to point out to my wife what a golf game would do to both my time and money. It is likely that many of here friends husbands are golfers. My wife's dad is as well. When I put a $ number on keeping a golf game going breaking down yearly equipment and green fees, Healey are almost cheap.

The time problem will also get better. Young ones need lots of hands on attention, and its hard to do that in the garage. My 4 year old is to the point she can help me with small things, and she isn't far away from being a real helper. I was raised in the garage while my dad worked on his Model T's, and those memories fuel my car passion. It will be worth it to you and your son to share in that if he wants to.

Good luck on your decision.

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Hello, Tim,
All of the above are pertinent and meaningful. Patton's reply says pretty much what I did. Essentially, you will have to decide what is important and if you can handle the long-term 'restoration' process you can do it with a budget that has a line item for "hobbies" - yours and your wife's. In our case, my wife's hobby was essentially making my two daughters the best dressed, educated, etc. kids in town. Add in orthodonture, etc., too. However, she recognized that guys need something to tinker with or "do" and that the money I spent on the car was OK - as long as it was done quietly and from "my funds" not what we call "company funds". Twenty-seven years have passed and it works for us. The wife still won't ride around in my 3000 as it isnt' air conditioned, etc. but loves driving in my 2006 Mazda MX-5. I don't understand it, but I like driving the Mazda, too. And here in Texas an air conditioner is pretty useful...but I digress. The bottom line is if you can stand the delay, have the storage room and the wife is reasonable with a monthly 'hobby' budget line, you should be OK. Very best of luck with it!

OP
timbn2

timbn2

Jedi Hopeful

Thank you all for the responses. As some of you may remember, my BN2 is in need of TOTAL restoration, just getting the frame repaired and up to snuff will be upwards of 6-7K quoted !!!
Anyway... i will keep this car and see it through; be it 5 years or 15. I will do small things until i am better prepaired for the larger stuff! thank you all...

tim