• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I drove it like I stole it, on infineon racetrack!

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Well guys, I finally did it. I got my car on a race track!

Here's a link to infineon vintage csrg
and here

Last weekend I attended the infineon vintage car races in Sonoma California.
I didn't race my car, but I did park next to the paddock area and take my car on the track. Here's the scoop.

The race schedule will be interrupted mid-day each day with Track Rides for Charity and track parades of Vintage sports cars. The Track Rides for Charity are an event in which anyone 16 or older can experience three laps of the track, at speed, in a Vintage race car of their choice, at a cost as low as $50. The track parades are open to any car that is eligible for the Car Club Corral
in the Paddock, with a limit of 75 cars each day.

From 11:00-12:00, one could be a passenger in a vintage race car of your choice, for a nominal fee between $50-$150 depending on the car. I of course choose to ride in the tri carb 100-6. I'm so glad I did, for it showed me another side of what a Healey really can do in the right hands! (Right Dougie)

My mechanic tells me to stop babying the car. Well, all that is about to change, now that I rode with someone who showed me how fun it is to put the pedal to the metal.

12:00-1:00 was the window for the parade style ride around the track. For those of us who drove our vintage cars to the event, parked them next to the paddock area, and would like to take their car around the track. Yup, that would be me and every other guy...for a modest fee. Money well spent.

So here's how it went down. We were SUPPOSE to follow the leader, keep equal distance and do about 3-4 conservative laps. Well the lead guy didn't show up, so someone else was appointed.

We like the new guy! All started out like it should, slow around the track first lap. Second lap was faster and the gap widened from car to car. Third lap faster still and gaps became larger, plus some of the guys purposely held back from the guy in front, so as to increase that gap, then he'd could push his car faster to close up the gap.

The guy in front of me was in a Lotus and he was a great driver, nice lines. So I followed his lines and started pushing my car. Every lap was faster and my confidence increased even when started to feel the back end slide out a little. That was enough for me. Believe me, I was in now way pushing my car as hard or fast as the racer in the 100-6 I rode with. That was an incredible ride!

As much fun as it was to push my car harder than I ever had, and feel the thrill of racing around the track with guys in front and in back of me, I could not completely focus on pure driving, like you should. I was constantly thinking; you don't really know how to handle the car and you don't want to be that guy that people talk about later, the one who spun around, or off the track, or worse. We made 6 laps, everyone faster than the one before. What an experience.

Now we're off the track, and parking our cars.
You could feel the excitement in the air from these drivers. Everyone talking at the same time, talking to whomever was next to you. Expressing how much fun it was and that most of us have never been on a track nor drove our cars this hard. We never reached race speed, but to us, it sure seemed it, with the sound of screeching tires, back smoke coming from the tail pipe in front of you, and the nevus smiles we (me) had most of the time.

Those who have meet me or seen my car, know that I have spent a lot of time on my frame off restoration. I am very thankful to so many people here on the BCF that helped me through those five years. I've been lucky to win first place at some of the big shows, like the San Francisco concours d'Elagance, Palo Alto Concours and the local shows. People at those shows ask me, do you drive it? I answer, yes I do, everyday if I can. Now I can honestly say, oh I drive it, like I stole it... on a race track! :driving:

I wanted to share with my fellow Healey brothers and sisters here this exerience, for I went outside my comfort zone bringing my car on the track, and getting close to some race speeds on certain sections. There was someone taking photos and selling them of you driving your car. There was a nice photo of the car leaning, compressed down on the drivers front wheel. Good times!

I don't know when the opportunity will present itself again, or if I will act upon it, but I am thankful for the good time and how much it felt like being a kid again.

Cheers,
Roger

Attachments

• 26618.jpg
    26618.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 343

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
RIGHT-ON ROGER! truly glad you had a great time. it musta been hard to keep your foot out of it on the way back.
grin.gif

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Rodger -

What a great experience you were able to partake in. Infineon (Sears Point) track has all the elements of a great track. Good thing it was dry out too, it's a whole different animal when wet, grrrr........

You must have went out with my pal and follow Big Healey racer Gary Black in his well prepared BRG racer. I spoke to him before the event and he was looking forward to getting out on the track again this year.

I hope you had the opportunity to watch Scott Brown and Ed Lamantia dance their immaculate MGA's around the track in near perfect harmony. They're quite a sight while trying to chase them down in anger.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
dougie said:
Rodger -

What a great experience you were able to partake in. Infineon (Sears Point) track has all the elements of a great track. Good thing it was dry out too, it's a whole different animal when wet, grrrr........

You must have went out with my pal and follow Big Healey racer Gary Black in his well prepared BRG racer. I spoke to him before the event and he was looking forward to getting out on the track again this year.

I hope you had the opportunity to watch Scott Brown and Ed Lamantia dance their immaculate MGA's around the track in near perfect harmony. They're quite a sight while trying to chase them down in anger.

Hey Dougie,

Glad you chimmed in.
I now know how much fun you have on the track!
And Elrey, you know I had a heavy foot on the way home. I took the scenic back roads route, so as to stay out of trouble and have fun.

Yup, I had the pleasure of being the passenger with Gary, #124. How fun was that! Small world guys.

We had lunch together after that ride, and I gave him some racing advise. Try to ignore the guy sitting in the passenger seat that screems like a little girl when you're drifting thru the turns...oh wait, that was me screeming...lol.

Garys a great guy. Soft spoken, unassuming guy that you'd not expect to be a race car driver. He told me how it all started by taking driving lessons at Laguna Seca. You could hear the passion in his voice as his story unfolded. He said he likes to try to race four times a year. He mentioned he was a bit disappointed that he only had 3 passengers on Saturday, the day I rode with him. Yeah, whatsupwithdat! Comon, it's a wild ride in a Healey! I told him he made those 3 people very happy though.

Cheers,
Roger

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Nice one Roger

I booked ten laps of Goodwood on one of out National Healey events - 50 years of something, but sadly I had some bad plugs in and only managed one, still I know what you felt like.

:cheers:

Bob

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:thumbsup
:Glad you had the chance to ride with Gary he has been putting foot to the metal for quite some time.--Keoke

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Roger,

Don't you know this is how it starts. First a couple of innocent laps, then......

You have the car, now all you need is a roll bar & belts along with driver safety gear and you are racing!

Just try to remember this is an incredibly addictive thrill and, after all we are mere mortals....

Dave

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
John Turney said:
:iagree: Yes, Roger, that was fun! And it was fun talking to you, too, even if you did insist my BN4 is stock. :jester:

You should see Johns car...wow.
John's car looks great with the matching BRG hardtop.
So you're saying it's not stock? Kidding. John has done some nice things to it. If you ever get a chance, take a look see at his car.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
The only way most of us would ever get on this track is via Vintage Racing, "buy" some lap time or the lemons racing. I have to agree with you Roger, I am not sure how hard I would push my Healey on the track. But I have pushed and drifted in a 4 wheel drive Lemon's racer and it was a lot of fun. I like your situation where you had a gap between drivers. Much safer!

I wish I could have been there.

Jerry
BN4
BJ8

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Lot of vintage events do allow parade laps, another reason to go, as far as getting out of your comfort zone a little and taking the car on the track, good for you, and Donald and Geoff would be proud of you using the car as they intended! In all seriousness the cars are pretty robust and it is great fun to wring them out a little, I used to autocross my 100, gave the TR6s and MGBs fits.

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Good for you Roger !

There is nothing else quite like taking some laps with other cars and squealing the tires a bit and hitting the high speeds on the long straights ! It is definitely addictive. The first thing you think about is how great it would be to race the Healey .... and then you think about how much it would cost to do that on a regular basis.

I had to settle for the one time experience in 2009 at VIR.

Ed

Attachments

• 26633.jpg
    26633.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 138

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Really Ed, it doesn't cost that much. You need to have your priorities straight though. Racing your Big Healey first, everything else second....................