• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Drove a 1980 TR7 today PICs

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here are the pics. I drove the car today. The first pic is of the temp gauge after 13 miles. As you can see the needle is just off the H line. After 5 miles it was just a tick past the 3/4 mark. This is a 67 degree day too. However there wasn't any indication that the engine was overheating. Head gasket or warped head has come up in conversations but I did not notice any temperature fluctuations that you normally get with a leaky head gasket. Also did not notice that "heat smell" or feel a blast of heat coming off the engine once the hood was opened. The tech may be right that the gauge may be off. I'm thinking maybe dirty radiator from not being driven much. 27k on it. Maybe a good flushing is in order but then I would have noticed the increase in heat.

Car drove like new. No shimmy, no noises and everything worked except the fog light switch. Interior is almost perfect. Top is excellent with a tint of yellow in the back window. Have not called the guy yet but the tech thinks he wants $2500.

Attachments

• 26375.jpg
    26375.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 291

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I was hooked once I drove the TR8 and I LOVE my TR6.

These things are addictive. Good luck with your plan, whatever it may be.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
To make matters worse the owner of another TR7 (1981 PI) called me today and offered his car for $1400. What do I do?

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
One idea is one of those not contact thermomters. not expensive and could solve the issue of the gauge or engine. I would want to know before I would put out the money.

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
One idea is one of those not contact thermomters. not expensive and could solve the issue of the gauge or engine. I would want to know before I would put out the money.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I agree, hit the engine w/ an IR thermometer......

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I do have a IR thermometer but forgot to bring it. What should the block temp read? I can always go back. Is the $2500 fair?

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I forget where the temp sending unit is on a TR7. It is either on the intake manifold somewhere or it is the one on the L/H side of the radiator near the top. Shoot the IR thermometer at it and see what you get. Obviously that is the point it should be reading. If it is 195ish, you should be good. In fact just shoot the return side of the radiator...if it is over 210, there are issues.

Bad sending units, bad gauges, etc etc etc can give false readings.

I pulled my dash apart on my 8 to fix the clock. Along the way I bumped the needle on the temp gauge. I had the coolest running TR8 in the world as I never got over 1/4 :smile: I have since "recalibrated" :smile:

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The sending unit is on the thermotat housing. I have always seen the sending units "open", that would give a zero reading on the temp gauge. It would have to "short" to give a high reading. I'm not saying it can't happen, just have not seen it(yet). As far as 2500, I have seen a few go that high but it would have to be a totally maintained car. Every piece of rubber on that car is bad or going bad if it has not been changed. Some are no big deal,some are. As a quick check just lift up on the shifter. if it has play, it needs bushings(Very common). I'm going through my 7 and its a long process to try and do everything at once. I'm doing a little at a time.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
The temp issue could be as simple as a bad radiator cap. If the system can't build any pressure it will boil, and the temp gauge will peg. usually will be fine idling, or around town, but any higher speeds will cause the temp to rise.
More likely is a bad thermostat

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies. However today the owner changed her mind and is now not selling the car. I told them to keep my number for future sale. They just made my decision for me. It looks like I'm getting the 1981 I mentioned in an earlier text for $1400. I like the price. Just going to need a new fuel pump or relay if there is on for the fuel pump. Car does not run unless spray start is shot into the intake. Also the AC pump is broken too.
I'm going Thursday to put a deposit on the car and see if I can figure out what is wrong. I'd rather drive it home then tow it.

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Congrats on the car. Sometimes deciding can be the hardest part. As for as the fuel pump, I had a problem of the lines sucking air though them that kept the pump from pulling gas. Just a thought. Good Luck