• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A How to get the $&@%# filler bolt out of the side of the trans to top her off?!?

clanofwolves

Freshman Member
I need to get the $&@%# filler bolt out of the side of the trans to top her off; and she's really in there and I sooooooo don't want to take the tunnel off. Help? ......and yes, I know I was the clown who put it in tight when I performed the last clutch replacement haha. 😉

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Re: How to get the $&@%# filler bolt out of the side of the trans to top her off?!?

My recipe: 8 point 1/2" drive socket, long breaker bar, and a pry bar to pry between the breaker head and tunnel (to hold the socket down on the plug). Might need a piece of wood to help spread the force on the tunnel.

Another thing that will help, some, is to put a heat lamp on the gearbox housing. Don't want to get it too hot since you aren't draining the oil, but around 200F or a bit more will help loosen the plug without harming the oil. The alloy housing expands with heat faster than the steel plug does.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Re: How to get the $&@%# filler bolt out of the side of the trans to top her off?!?

And, if you're shopping or borrowing, I think it is the 7/16" 8-point that you will need.

I guess you know by now that the plug has a taper thread and doesn't need to be wicked tight not to leak and to stay put.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Some Teflon "pipe dope" on the replacement will both help it seal and help it come out next time, too.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag

I need to get the $&@%# filler bolt out of the side of the trans to top her off; and she's really in there and I sooooooo don't want to take the tunnel off. Help? ......and yes, I know I was the clown who put it in tight when I performed the last clutch replacement haha. 

Removing that plug when stuck in my transmission was more effort than pulling my engine. I had the interior totally out and fried and broke three drill bits until I spent $12 on a carbide bit from an industrial supplier here in town. Then I used an easy out. Four days were consumed. I spelled my short words differently. I will never forget those days. Never before had I toiled so long to achieve so little.

TomChar

Country flag

I went through the same phrases removing my plug, and my trans was out rolling around the floor while I was doing it. I used heat, but I was very concerned about over heating the alloy trans case. I had a breaker bar with a square socket, but I was still concerned - mostly due to the loose trans on the floor - with rolling the socket off the plug and rounding it. My neighbor, who's about 80, had an ancient square box wrench just for pipe plugs. That was perfect.