• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 GT 6 Neighbor is selling

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
Hey Guys,

I am not a rumpher, had a spit for a while, but soley AH Jags and MG's.

My neighbor told me a few years ago that he had a 72 GT6 in storage for quite sometime. Well he approached me about buying it and I saw a small piece of it (stuff piled, four flats etc. It has been sitting in dry storage for 20+ years, and just sat there (sorry no pics).

From what I could see the body looked straight, no rust, original paint, even saw orginal paint on the underside.

He asked what it worth and I told him, not being a rumpher probably about $2k, he looked shocked and said he was hoping for much more. I told him that there is no way it is worth more then $3.

Please advise what range is reasonable for a clean 72, that needs a complete mechanical go thru just to be a driver and chrome rubber paint interior to be a looker. Oh yes it has 90k original miles, titles is clear and he has some old docmentation of service etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Last thing BRG w/Tan.

Thanks,
Pat

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
PIX PLZZZZZZZZZZ

kinda tough to put a price on it without! :wall:

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
GeeBee1 said:
...72 GT6 in storage for quite sometime....
He asked what it worth and I told him, not being a rumpher probably about $2k, he looked shocked and said he was hoping for much more. I told him that there is no way it is worth more then $3....
Without seeing at least a photo or two, it's hard to tell, but I think your estimate is "ballpark"!

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Frame rust?

OP
GeeBee1

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
No pics, it was pushed into a corner, little lighting, night time, but I had an inspection flashlight. I couldn't find any rust on what I could see A and B pillers, beading in rear etc. The engine has not had anything done in 20+ years, it did look complete, nice amount of normal dirt, no pulled head, etc. like it was just parked and left.

Pat

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Well, if he had a helpful neighbour :thumbsup: who could spend the weekend helping him to get it running, it'd probably double the resale value. But then, if the owner was interested in doing such things, it probably wouldn't be sitting on flat tires in the back of a garage somewhere, I suppose!

OP
GeeBee1

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
Duncan:

I have already offered by services :wink: (we think alike).

Exactly to no avail, they are more interested in bikes, of which I was not impressed with what they had. No Norton's, Triumphs, BSA etc. hehehe

Pat

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
EVERY system on the thing would need goin' thru. A body would spend six months FULL time to do that. $3K would be optimistic, IMO.

~IF~ it were running <span style="font-style: italic">properly</span> and shiny-straight, every switch or button made something happen, it *could* be worth double that or more. But ya gotta find the GUY.

...methinks 'e's been watchin' too much Barrett-Jackson!!! :smirk:

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
If it is well and truly rust free and comlete someone would probably be willing to spring the 2K or even a little more for it, especially if low miles.

But all hydraulics would need redone, suspension bushing probably

engine ???

transmission ???

Electrics and guages ???

Certainly some time and money to get back on the road, but dollars wise the GT6 for reasons I could never understand, (I guess because not a convertible?) was in the gutter as far as prices, but seems to have been on a well deserved rise the last few years, good looking car with more poke and rarity than a spit, whats not to like about that.

I used to lust after them when I was on a few hundred dollars for a car budget, which kept me in Sprites and such, and a nice GT6 would run closer to $2000. Where's the wayback machine when you need it?

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Having picked up a rust free, "running when parked" 70 GT6, I can attest to the cost of getting it back to solid rubber state. I'm probably $2K into parts alone and I haven't touched the interior, that's all firewall foreward plus the Rotoflexes (Rotoflexi?) which is it Doc? I will probably be at $5K when I'm done, and my bodywork is free. Initial cost of $2200 puts me right around 7000 Triumph points. BUT, I will have an impeccable driver of a pretty rare car. I love my B, but there aren't a lot of 6's out there.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Rotoflex". "Metalastik". Patent No.662.337...

...I cheated. I'm holdin' one in me mit. :jester:

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
Pat,

I think your guesses are about right; a couple thousand for a complete, "ran when parked" with no rust. If someone really wanted a GT6 then he may get $3000.

V

vagt6

19_again said:
Having picked up a rust free, "running when parked" 70 GT6, I can attest to the cost of getting it back to solid rubber state. I'm probably $2K into parts alone and I haven't touched the interior, that's all firewall foreward plus the Rotoflexes (Rotoflexi?) which is it Doc? I will probably be at $5K when I'm done, and my bodywork is free. Initial cost of $2200 puts me right around 7000 Triumph points. BUT, I will have an impeccable driver of a pretty rare car. I love my B, but there aren't a lot of 6's out there.

Aye, the man's right on. Even if all the mechanicals are good, the interior resto costs can easily equal the $2,000 purchase price. Replacing all the rubber bits is easily $1,500 or so.

The key factor is the rarity of the GT6 (especially if you find a MKI or MKII). There simply ain't many left in decent condition. Prices are practically guaranteed to rise on these cars.

If you find a "good" deal on a GT6, I say snap it up, get it running. You can sell if for a tidy profit, just be sure of what you're buying so you don't get too far over your head financially in the resto.

V

vagt6

Andrew Mace said:
DrEntropy said:

Brand New, NOS or used? If Brand New, I'm curious as to where you got it (and what it cost, especially seeing as "replicas" don't have much of a reputation).

Andrew, I found Metalastik couplings from a Google search a few years ago. Bought two pair, sold one on eBay for 50% more that I paid for it. :yesnod:

Here's a narrative of my search, it may be helpful:

TRIUMPH GT6 SUSPENSION: FINDING ROTOFLEX COUPLINGS

(This was written in 2004, some facts may have changed since then). Unfortunately, many replacement rotoflex couplings have been found to be of poor quality and last only a short time. The best replacements, and apparently the only ones suitable for use, come from the company which purchased the Metalastik company, Trelleborg Industrial AVS, Inc. Trelleborg continues to brand their couplings as Metalastik.

Trelleborg sells these couplings in a wide range of sizes, including couplings to fit the Ford GT-40 (at about $600 each!).
The correct Metalastik rotoflex coupling for a GT6 is part number 21/979/1. This is Metalastik's original part number & has never changed. The GT6 coupling has a 6.38" / 162mm OD (assembled), and the diameter of the rubber cross section is 1.44 x 1.66" / 37 x 42mm.

The three main brands of Rotoflex couplings now available are Quinton Hazel; G-M (reported to be of inferior quality and short lifespan), and Metalastik.

In the US, contacting the US Trelleborg rep is the first step in locating a reseller. Trelleborg's U.S. rep in 2004 was Don Frebotnik, located in Tyler, Texas, phone 814-398-1582. Frebotnik directed me to a distributor in Chicago. It is important to find a Trelleborg distributor and confirm with the reseller that the coupling actually says Metalastik on it. In 2004 I paid about $99 each, plus shipping, for my Metalastic couplings. I purchased two pair and later sold the spare pair on eBay at a profit.
Apparently, they are not hard to sell.

I also found Metalastik Rotoflex couplings at these British retailers. Prices do not include shipping to the U.S.:

• Anglican Triumph for 100 British pounds(!) each;
• Rimmer Brothers for 57.75 pounds each;
• Quiller Triumph at 56 pounds each.
Return the couplings if they are not stamped Metalastik as confirmed by the reseller at purchase.

These U.S.-based resellers were been contacted and either did not carry or did not know what Metalastik couplings were:

• The Roadster Factory
• Victoria British
• TSI Imported Automotive
• Moss Motors
• British Miles
• Triumphs Only
• Pegasus

Again, my research was done in 2004. Resellers change suppliers, so it could be worthwhile to check with the above resellers again before proceeding.

-- Mark K. Brown

Please let us know . . .

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
DrEntropy said:

Brand New, NOS or used? If Brand New, I'm curious as to where you got it (and what it cost, especially seeing as "replicas" don't have much of a reputation).

Used one, Andy. Not GT6 either. Came out of one of my Lotus Elans. Dave Bean is rumored to still have the real ones, too. Not sure of the interchange compatibility tho.

V

vagt6

DrEntropy said:
Andrew Mace said:
DrEntropy said:

Used one, Andy. Not GT6 either. Came out of one of my Lotus Elans. Dave Bean is rumored to still have the real ones, too. Not sure of the interchange compatibility tho.

I might add that I ordered "Metalastik" GT6 rotoflex couplings from Dave Bean Engineering, however, upon arrival I noted that they were <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> Metalastic, but Quintin Hazels.

I sold them on eBay for more than I paid Dave Bean, so the story ended relatively well. Later ordered the correct Metalastiks from Trelleborg, as noted above.

YMMV.

OP
GeeBee1

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
I must have some good instinct then, because I offered $2k on the spot, well we will see if he gets back to me.

Thanks for all of your help.

Pat