• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Fuel pump?

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Folks.

I am in the process of getting my TR3A running after it sitting for over a year.
The engine was running a week ago after replacing the fuel lines from the tank to the pump and added an inline fuel filter.

Today, I removed the fuel pump glass bowel and cleaned it out.
Now, the fuel pump will not deliver fuel to the fuel pump glass bowel regardless of how long I operate the primer lever on the pump or crank the engine. There is no fuel at the fuel line connection to the front carb float bowel.
There is fuel just below the pump at a splice in the fuel line, but I suppose that could be there by gravity flow from the tank.

Is the logical conclusion that the Victoria British fuel pump has failed even though it was installed just 6 years ago?

Thanks.
Ron

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Pumps normally fail when the diaphragm starts leaking fuel outside of the pump. It sounds like maybe one of the valves in the pump is jammed closed. You could disconnect the lines on both sides and try driving compressed air through the pump in the direction of fuel flow to see if that will free the valves. No more than 10-15 psi, so you don't damage the diaphragm.

Another common failure is the fulcrum pin for the pump lever. Some of the later Repro pumps do not have the pin secured properly, so it can come out. Then the lever is useless.

OP
R

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks, John.
The primmer lever does work. Even if it didn't, the fuel pump does not deliver fuel to the sediment bowel or the carbs by cranking the engine.

I tried your suggestion using compressed air. Air exits the top of the pump where the outlet line connects. After reconnecting both lines, still no fuel.

Ron

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Once again , the fuel pump does NOT suck fuel ! It only takes what gravity will bring it and
pushes it from there. If the fuel does NOT flow all over when the bowl is off, there is you problem.
Mad dog

OP
R

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
In order for the fuel to gravity flow and fill the sediment bowl, the intake point of the sediment bowl would need to be a little lower than where the fuel line connects to the fuel tank, or there would need to be adequate head pressure to force the fuel uphill to the sediment bowl.

Directly below the fuel pump, I had to install a short rubber fuel line (around 1.5 inches in length) to connect two metal fuel lines. When I disassemble that connection, fuel runs out from the tank.
The metal fuel line between the pump and the short rubber fuel line connection is not clogged.

Maybe I should replace the short rubber connecting hose with a brass compression connector fitting, but I don't see how a brass connector would be much different than the short rubber fuel line.

But, what else could be the problem, assuming the fuel pump is still working like it was last weekend?

Ron

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I can only state, that IF no fuel fills the bowl of the pump, its game over. Find the problem
and correct it. Be aware that there are a LOT of bad fuel pumps on the market. See also my
humorous story of the leaf in the tank for 10 years.......
Mad dog

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I can only state, that IF no fuel fills the bowl of the pump, its game over. Find the problem
and correct it. Be aware that there are a LOT of bad fuel pumps on the market. See also my
humorous story of the leaf in the tank for 10 years.......
Mad dog
Jack up the rear of the car and see if that causes the fuel to flow to the
sediment bowl. Or put more fuel in your tank.
Charley

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
With a full tank fuel should flow right through the pump lines and to the glass bowl. As the tank gets low, it will not. A valve stuck open, or missing, will also prevent pumping.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Not sure if I am remembering this correct, but it seems I had a similar problem with the pump bowl. The problem was the bowl was not sealed to the body and would not fill, like it lacked vacuum . This was a side of the road fix by using black electrocution tape on the rim of the bowl to seal the bowl then the bowl filled when I cranked the engine. (20 years ago)
Steve

OP
R

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Followup: Some unknown, at least at this point, item was obstructing the fuel line from the pump back to the tank. Compressed air remove the item but its final resting place has yet to be located, prohibiting a formal departure ceremony.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Followup: Some unknown, at least at this point, item was obstructing the fuel line from the pump back to the tank. Compressed air remove the item but its final resting place has yet to be located, prohibiting a formal departure ceremony.
Did you use the compressed air to force it open from front to back? If so then that problem may very well be resting in the fuel tank waiting for another trip down the fuel line.
Charley

Hamish Racing

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had this problem that cleared when I put an airline pressure front to back. The pressure built up then blew through
I traced it to a small rubber pipe union that I think should have been a compression fitting.
the rubber had broken down and was blocking the fuel line.
worth a check I guess
If you have crud in the tank syphon it out with a short length of garden hose and use it like a vacuum to clean out the debris

193C708E-8A62-41B2-A9D3-8D4175E7C60E.jpeg

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I have found that getting stuff you can see with a small flashlight is fairly easy with a slurp gun and about 4 feet of clear hose. On mine I had a lot, so I jacked up the car on one side, rocked it so the fuel sloshed, and applied the slurp gun multiple times to the low side of the tank. A few filter changes and it was clean. Have had no trouble for 10 or 11 years.
Bob

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have found that getting stuff you can see with a small flashlight is fairly easy with a slurp gun and about 4 feet of clear hose. On mine I had a lot, so I jacked up the car on one side, rocked it so the fuel sloshed, and applied the slurp gun multiple times to the low side of the tank. A few filter changes and it was clean. Have had no trouble for 10 or 11 years.
Bob
Hamish,
The early TRs did have a compression fitting in that rear location. Then at some point it was changed to just a rubber fuel line.
Bob,
I did the same as you when I had a problem. In my brand new tank I found some small bits of gasket material that "I" caused to be in there.
Charley

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
It is crucial to NEVER use regular fuel hose in this spot.Only fuel injection rated hoses
will stand up to modern fuels and not degrade in a short time. They swell shut!!!!
I have seen it too many times in the last few years.
Mad dog

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It is crucial to NEVER use regular fuel hose in this spot.Only fuel injection rated hoses
will stand up to modern fuels and not degrade in a short time. They swell shut!!!!
I have seen it too many times in the last few years.
Mad dog
In fact when putting that connection in I found that it best to push the two metal pipe ends into the hose to where they touched each other.
Charley