• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Forum closing?

roofman

Jedi Knight
All interested in keeping this forum open should read Basils posting this morning in the forum happenings section.

John Morralee

There has been so much wisdom generated in the previous answers that I feel there is nothing left for me to say other than PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE DOWN : just let us all know what you need ( in effort and $'s) to keep this happy little family --- which you alone have created --- together.

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I agree with the above. Come up with a $ number and estimate of how many you think will subscribe and let's see what the result is. Then, if we can't get enough people to buy in, so be it, it dies. I certainly feel for me that this service is worth something that can be translated to $s. $25-$40 per year is about the same as joining a club and we all do that.

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I also agree with the yearly dues. If one doesn't want to subscribe, they can " read only ".
I wouldn't mind adds on the left and right columns as that would bring in a substantial amount of $$ for Basil.
With a combination of these things, basil should be able to make a profit at this and it is important that he makes a profit since he has devoted so much of his time to make this forum the great place that it is.
I can only imagine how much work this forum represents.
Thank You Basil for making this place possible as long as you have ! I hope you can figure out a way to make it work for your personal needs as well.
I'll do my part, just let us know what $$ you need from us.
I would hate to see this site go away !
Ed

LEERIVAS

Basil,

I agree. Make it a "read only" website with subscriptions available.

Use the margins for Ads, but Please!! Please!!! Please!!! don't even consider closing down. You've become the invaluable "go to..." place for rebuilders.

The talent you have assembled is worth more than the $25.00 to $40.00 per year proposed subscription?? I spend more than that on two theater tickets and two overpriced cokes with a tub of popcorn.

I know it's a hard personal decision, but given the present economic climate, who could blame you.

Anyway, count me in as a subscriber.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I am not in favor of "read only".

This forum's value is not my ability to post to it (I already know what I have to say) but to read other's posts.

I have no problem paying a subscription--period.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Michael Oritt said:
I am not in favor of "read only".

This forum's value is not my ability to post to it (I already know what I have to say) but to read other's posts.

I have no problem paying a subscription--period.
:iagree:

lreyburn

Freshman Member
I belong to the CobraClub.com and they have a similar forum. Lots of info about everything covering lots of cars. We send in $50 a year, get recognition as a donor, and that amount keeps the info flowing.

Basil, this is a business. Start treating it like one instead of a hobby and recognize that this forum is a service that a lot of people with common interests will pay to participate...that includes vendors, manufactures, classifieds, etc.

Closing it down throws away all of your past creation and efforts. You have developed a great foundation. Now it's time to build on it.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest!" Mark Twain

terp83

I belong to both national Healey clubs and my aggregate annual dues is $100.00.
Due to work and location, I almost never am able to participate in any club events. I am on this site daily (often several times per day). It is worth at least that much annually to me to have British Car Forum continue. Apart from purchasing a BCF forum T-shirt, I have never sent any $$ to Basil, but would have had I truly known the situation.

Basil, please give us the opportunity to allow you to keep this site going.

Jerry

mjobrien

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm in full support of mandatory dues. This is a business and asking people to pay for the value it represents is only fair! I think you’re on the right track with the levels you created, just create a lower level that allows basic functions. I'm sure if you do the math it's not a lot of money each year for what is an invaluable service......

Michael.

R&M

We belong to the Austin Healey Club & Porsche Club paying annual dues for both. If an annual membership fee is what it takes to keep this site alive,let us know!

R&M

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You've got to pay to play. If you value this service, which I do, then we will all scratch a check to keep it going. Basil, just let us all know what it will take.
The Healey crews on board.

Dougie

lreyburn

Freshman Member
Basil, What's the verdict? Have you made a decision on the site? If you are going to move forward and charge a fee and make this the best British Car Forum ever then how much do we have to budget?

If you are going to close the site, then what is your anticipated date of departure. I know there are some out here that may want to pirate this away and make it a real profit center.

Your dedication has been memorialized and your following is remarkable. Here is a suggestion: Make it a dollar a week and take two weeks off, ie. $50 a year per registration and enjoy life!

What ever you decide to do, may God be with you.