• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New forum participant - once I find a car!

zanker

Freshman Member
Hello. I am a longtime member/lurker around the British Car Forum, but a new participant on the Healey forum.

For various reasons, and for the first time in almost 40 years, I find myself without a British sports car in my garage (I learned to drive in an MG TC, my first car was a TR6, and I recently sold my Jaguar E as prices have gotten so crazy I was afraid to take the thing out of the garage). And for various reasons, I’ve decided to look for a BJ8 now.

I’ve been enjoying educating myself on the Healeys, their history, maintenance and repair concerns, the cost of various parts, and so forth. But I’m really needing some advice on my search, it’s been a very long time since I went shopping for an old British car.

To date, I’ve been pretty unhappy with my limited interactions with sellers. It seems lots of Healeys are being sold through dealers (listing cars on eBay and Hemmings), and many of these guys seem to believe every BJ8 should fetch Pebble Beach prices. Predictably, I've had much more constructive interactions with several private sellers, but they have not been easy to find.

I really don’t want to undertake a full restoration right now. I’d like a car that I can have fun with, drives well (or could with a little work), looks decent, maybe needs some mechanical/cosmetic TLC or a rolling restoration over the coming years. But it needs to be pretty rock-solid corrosion-wise, as proper body repair on a BJ8 is the one thing I can’t do myself, and a full restoration would be something for several years down the road.

If any kind folks can point me to Healey groups, publications, or any other place where owners list cars for sale, I would be very grateful. I look forward to eventually finding a car, and hopefully becoming a positive contributor to this forum one day…

Thanks!

Tom Demergian
Madison, Wisconsin USA

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Rule 1. Never buy a car from a dealer, unless you enjoy overpaying.

Join both of the US Healey clubs. Personally I think the best value cars out there tend to be the ones that were fully restored 10-20 years ago (with photographic evidence). I have now purchased 3 cars in this category and never had a problem. Do not buy a car that claims to be 'original' condition. That is a euphemism for a car that has never been properly restored and will probably have lots of issues with all the things that cost the most money to repair.

…and don't get a BJ8, they are ladies' cars.:highly_amused:

catfood

Jedi Knight
…and don't get a BJ8, they are ladies' cars.:highly_amused:

I'd say any Healey with more than four cylinders is a little bit girlie...:highly_amused::nana:

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Tom,
Welcome to the Healey world - well almost ! I'd recommend looking at a BN6 or BN7 so you get the 2 seater with the big six as nothing sounds as good as one of those two ! Or of course also a BN2 as I'm kinda partial to Gerry's original design. Regardless, you'll have a lot of great times with one and meet a lot of good folks. Like Derek said, join both US clubs.
Regards
Mike

OP
Z

zanker

Freshman Member
Thanks for the replies and welcome. I am in the process of joining the clubs now.

I actually would lean toward an earlier Healey, there seems to be better value there. But my wife has had enough of side curtains for the time being, hence the ladies' model is an acceptable compromise for us :friendly_wink:

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Talk to Tom Kovacs at "Four in Tune" in Cedar burg WI. He may know of some cars for sale in WI and might help wit a pre-purchase inspection.

Csarneson

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Be patient!!!!! There are lots of terrible deals out there with high prices for cars that probably have hidden rust. I agree that buying from a dealer is probably the worst option. Ebay is probably nearly as bad. My favorite option for searching is probably Craigslist. I use SearchTempest to browse craigslist nationally.

OP
Z

zanker

Freshman Member
bdcvg, that's a good idea. I've met Tom and Kaye Kovacs, I need to look them up again.
Tproject, I thought the too-low ride height was one reason Healey made the BJ8? Not the big deal it's made out to be?
Carneson, thanks for those ideas. I agree patience is essential.

Other than eBay and auction results, are there resources to see at what prices cars are ACTUALLY selling in the real world? Hagerty values seem somewhat inflated for BJ8's, based on the few real-life transactions I've witnessed recently.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'd say any Healey with more than four cylinders is a little bit girlie...:highly_amused::nana:

I'd also add that any Healey with more than four cylinders and three forward gears is girlie but I replaced the 3-speed transmission in my car about 13 years ago.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Yeah, and what's with the outside door handles and "roll-up" windows for heavens sake?

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Tproject

Gov. Regulations increased ground clearance 1" and mandated the big lights. I have had my BJ7 since 1964 and as long as you remember it has that clearance -1" (as I believe all pre BJ8's have) you won't lose an exhaust. I have knocked off two in over 200K miles. I have damaged more BMW front spoilers over the last 10 years. I am biased I admit, but I feel that the BJ7 has the best of the 6 cyl healey designs.