• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Forum Closing?

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Basil has informed us that he is seriously considering closing the most informative forum I have found on the web. I feel like I've made a lot of friends here and moreover, I think there is a wealth of information yet untapped. I was looking forward to years of fatherly advice from the guru's of these great little cars as I attempted a ground up restoration. With that being said and with a heavy heart I would like to thank Basil for the time and information that we've shared. I would like to set up an informational address book so that we may still share ideas and knowledge in the years to come. I'll be the first to put it out there. I can be reached anytime at jcatnite@gmail.com. I welcome any and all who would also offer up their time to help others. If you feel uncomfortable leaving an email address out in the open forum please drop it in a PM. I'm also going to do my best to dig through the advice that has been offered here to make a "spridget bible" if you will. I will try to catagorize them by subject and year that it is applicable to. That way in the years to come we will have a database to refer back to. If I get really froggy, I might be able to get it into some sort of database that can be shared out on x-drive or something like that. Anyway, hopefully this is premature but if not I would hate for such a wealth of knowledge to be lost.
JC

Country flag

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
I'd certainly hate to see this forum close also. There is so much knowledge here that is freely shared. But, on the chance the Basil must close the forum, there is a Yahoo Group already established for the Midgets. The link is:
https://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mgmidgetcarclub/

OP
jcatnite

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
I tried the yahoo group but my first forum experience for LBC's was here and nothing else seems to be able to stand up to this one. Oh well, I guess we'll do what we have to.
JC

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
yeah - one of the really nice things about this is the community of ALL lbc owners. Cross breed posting is welcome and a fresh perspective from anyone with experience who can chime in makes this a fantastic vibrant forum.

(yes.. i've been in too many Computer Dept. "buzzword meetings" today and I actually used the word vibrant)

next thing you know I'll be throwing out paradigms....

Ugh... I need to go home and figure out what is rattling around in my bell-housing - too much geek-speak has rotted my brain. Gimme a wrench!

Morris

Yoda
Perhaps we as a community can buy the forum from Basil. Maybe even a little extra cash will help him with the personal problems he speaks of. At the least it will be small payback for all the forum has given us.

We could elect a treasurer to whom funds could be sent to, then solicit voluntary subscriptions (kinda like PBS). I know this forum is worth at least $20 bucks a year to me!

If Basil is hosting the forum on a "leased" server, we can take over the lease. If he is hosting it on a server that he owns, maybe we can buy said server or build our own and transfer the files. I would be willing to help out in the tech department. I have not done anything as big as this, but I have developed several web sites and set up a few servers. I am sure there are several people who could and would pitch in on managing the thing.

Just something to think about.

Morris

OP
jcatnite

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
I offered to buy it from him but to be honest, I felt like I was asking to sleep with his wife. It felt really wrong...you know what I mean? We'll see what happens. I'm in if it goes that way.
JC

R6MGS

Yoda
first of all I think the email address book is a great idea, at the very least we could find some way of recording all of our emails so we can remain in contact with the amny friends we've made through this forum..I am rjzer@sprynet.com

Morris, although in theory us banning tigether to buy the forum is a good idea the chances of it working smoothly without any terminal conflicts is very slim, it's just the reality of it.

Zack

anyone want to join me in chat?

mark

R6MGS

Yoda
BTW: It's probably best to direct any further post on this subject to this thread: Triumph Thread- Forum Status

That way we can all stay ontop of what happening without checking a bunch of different threads.

Zack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

OP
jcatnite

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
I'm making an excel spreadsheet with screen names and email addresses. I'll add yours to it Zack.
JC

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I pm'd you mine, just in case.

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here's hoping we will meet here at BCF for a long time to come.
Should that not be possible my e-mail is rulle7@hotmail.com

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
For me it will be missed.This is the first site I look at after checking the forecast to make sure its a sunny day.
If it closes I will be available at "sunbeamalpine.org" as well.
Thanks Basil for the wonderful enjoyment I have had from this forum
May it be sunny for you

OP
jcatnite

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
I'm toying with the idea of starting a Google site but it doesn't offer much in the way of moderation. It seems to work very similar to their Gmail system. Hopefully it will not be necessary at all and I can just delete it.
JC