• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ever re-paint your license plate?

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Mine's looking pretty tatty - it's a 1975 antiquey plate so it's seen some weather.

(Doesn't bother me any, kinda goes with the rest of the car, but we don't want the fuzz pulling me over.)

Not looking to make a pig's ear of it, so I wonder if someone has any tips?

Also, can you paint it different colors? I'm in NC and I'm thinking the law may be different between states.

Cheers!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Laws definitely differ by state, so check with your state DMV for details.

Changing their color could likely get you in trouble if someone noticed. The faded/tatty plate should be just fine as long as the numbers/letters are legible.

dklawson

Yoda
Adrian ! Where have you been? I haven't seen you at the MG Club show for a couple of years now!

Back in the 1970s NC kept changing the letter colors from year to year with red or green being used on top of a reflective white background. I don't remember if the red/green was also reflective. If the white background is in good shape on your plate and the letters were painted with non-reflective paint you should be able to touch up the lettering without problems. If you need to repaint a reflective surface I would probably leave well enough alone.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I seem to recall several services that restore plates (typically antique ones), but it's not cheap - $100/plate?

OP
bigjones

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Drew and Rick,

Many thanks!

Here's a cut and paste from something that looks official:

"Alteration, Disguise, or Concealment of Numbers. – Any operator of a motor vehicle who shall willfully mutilate, bend, twist, cover or cause to be covered or partially covered by any bumper, light, spare tire, tire rack, strap, or other device, or who shall paint, enamel, emboss, stamp, print, perforate, or alter or add to or cut off any part or portion of a registration plate or the figures or letters thereon, or who shall place or deposit or cause to be placed or deposited any oil, grease, or other substance upon such registration plates for the purpose of making dust adhere thereto, or who shall deface, disfigure, change, or attempt to change any letter or figure thereon, or who shall display a number plate in other than a horizontal upright position, shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor."

Wow! I'll just say I can't paint it, even though I would like to, because it is illegal, officer.

IMAG0656.jpg

Made from real metal that rusts, as God intended.

Cheers!

PS. Rick, the method you linked is a ingenious way of doing it. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
bigjones

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Doug,
Thanks for the post.
Have not been doing much of interest, unfortunately.
However, the North Carolina MG Car Club is having a mini Tech Session on installing tops. I've had a top (with a zip out rear window no less) that I've been wanting to install for years. So I've been trying to get the ole Midget in presentable form.

With regards to the plate, I can see a major botch job, making it even worse. Think I'll leave well alone. Totally stripping the plate seems the only option to get a good looking paint job.

Cheers!

OP
bigjones

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Boink,

Thanks for suggesting an alternative option.

I think I'd just get another plate of eBay before I coughed up that amount.

(Obviously worth it if you have an unusual or sentimental-value plate.)

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Boink,

Thanks for suggesting an alternative option.

I think I'd just get another plate of eBay before I coughed up that amount.

(Obviously worth it if you have an unusual or sentimental-value plate.)

Agreed. This other way to go (restoration) is typically of value when you have, say, a special dated plate (or a very early one).

dklawson

Yoda
The plates don't have to be original to the car for you to run them here so take a look at eBay. I just checked and they have 77 listings, some with buy-it-now, and a few for as little as $9 with free shipping. Some nice ones appear to be available near $20. If you want to see plates up close before committing to buy, try the flea market over at the fair grounds in Raleigh. There are typically a few older plates for sale there.

I put a new top on the Spitfire when it went back on the road. I was lucky and mine fit very well without much tweaking. You'll want some heat to soften the vinyl during installation so getting the new one installed before the end of summer is a good goal.

EDIT: I meant to comment that the law/rules you found concerning painting the license plate probably are subject to interpretation. Reading what you posted for context, the law seems to be focused on not defacing or altering the appearance of the plate for purposes of concealment. (i.e. They don't want you painting the plate to change a stamped "3" into an "8"). If you were just freshening the appearance of the old stamped letters I doubt anyone would care. Regardless, the picture of your plate makes it look way beyond simple re-lettering with some fresh red paint.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Any operator who shall paint, a registration plate shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor."

So go ahead and paint it and when they throw you in jail, ask to be assigned to the place where they make the plates and you can paint it there ... or maybe even make your own. :jester: Could be like an Arlo Guthrie song ... "What are you in for?" "Paintin' my license plate. . . and creatin' a disturbancee."

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I would agree with dklawson's assessment of the law, that if the intent of the action is to conceal or alter the plate, then it is illegal. I can't see how enhancing the plate with the same colors to make it easier for the police to read would be an issue.

I recall a product that was being sold to spoof the speed cameras / red light cameras. The seller claimed it would go on clear and be completely invisible, except when the camera would flash and it would obscure the license plates. The problem was that over time, the "clear" coat would start to turn grey, which was a dead giveaway to the police that your license plate was altered. Generally, you're going to find little sympathy for a request to get off with just a warning if you get pulled over by a "real" cop and not a camera if they see that.

I've never used the product, even though I've been caught by the cameras enough times that I received a letter saying they're going to name the next elementary school they are building after me, since I involuntarily helped raise so much of the funds to build it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I've never used the product, even though I've been caught by the cameras enough times that I received a letter saying they're going to name the next elementary school they are building after me, since I involuntarily helped raise so much of the funds to build it.

Well done! :smile: and I presume no speeding in a school zone. ;) :p

dklawson

Yoda
Regardless of how a plate painting law will be interpreted and applied by local police... buying a replacement plate will be a much easier and cost effective solution unless the plate has sentimental value.

OP
bigjones

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks all.
Looks like I'll get another from eBay.
I couldn't stop myself and applied some red paint to the letters - needless to say it looks bad.
Cheers

OP
bigjones

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Very cool, Bill.

I agree - worth the time and effort.

Just "won" another plate on eBay ($12 total) - this is a nice one - nothing special, but clean.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hope the new plate works out for you.

I love the year-correct plates. Bought both of these sets from a local fellow. The '70 plates went with the MGB when I sold it. The '59 plates on Penny could use some rehab work some day, but they're not a bad set -- apparently the paint process used in 1959 wasn't very good and most are flaking. Still, they look right and I'm happy to have found the set.

plates.jpg

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Sometimes you get lucky. Check out my ORIGINAL 1960 state plate. The state doesn't make me affix sticker either
since this year had no sticker location.
Just keep them with the car's papers. The paint is awesome. The colors are perfect. The Sprite is a 1960. Just lucky,
what can I say.
:cool-new:

Attachments

• 60 plate.jpg
    60 plate.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 90