• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 End Float

Jerryny

Freshman Member
Country flag
Morning all,

I measured the end float on my 73 TR6. I'm using Dial test Indicator and have it positioned against the fan extender. I measured it a couple of times and I am getting 11-12 mm.
If I did the math correctly that comes out to .4". Sounds like the thrust washers may be worn. Did I do everything right? When I watch it move while the wife pushes the clutch I don't see it moving that much. Hmmm I must be doing something wrong

Attachments

• end float 1.jpg
    end float 1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 102
  • end float 2.jpg
    end float 2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 108

Rod-H

Bronze
Country flag
Are you sure you aren't getting .11mm to .12mm. Your gauge looks like it goes from .01 to 10mm. So I think your reading is .11mm to .12mm (.0043" - .0047").
I don't think it would be possible to have 11-12mm of crankshaft endplay.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The Bentley book say float @ 0.006 0.008 ( 0.1524 0.2032 mm ) A rule of thumb starting car with clutch out in neutral cuts down on wear on dry bearings and thrust washers. Madflyer

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Good advice. When I changed out my thrust washers a few years ago, they were hardly worn. I always start in neutral.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hope I'm not hijacking the topic, but reminds me of three issues I have. When replacing thrust washers, do you always replace both at the same time? Second, I have a bunch of spares and I'm worried I mixed them with two used ones from my last rebuild. I can't recall why, but I know I kept them. Can I rely on micrometer measurements to be sure I'm not wasting any time with my old ones? Finally, when you lightly oil-sand or buff them to reach end-float spec which side do you work on, or not work on? I guess I've got another--why is there a copper color side and an aluminum color side to the thrust washers? I'm getting rusty on all this. Been away too long.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I use a dial micrometer to measure the thickness of a TW..That's one of the measurements I use to determine the thickness I'll need for replacements oversized or standard 0.092"+/- .0005". The other measurement needed is the current endfloat with the old ones still in place. A feeler gauge between the old TW and engine block works just fine
Between those two you can figure what it'll take to get the endfloat... be that within the book specs or whatever you think best.
I would not go sanding on the TW's unless you're really scrapped for dough though....
Here's what I recommend:
http://www.customthrustwashers.com/

Last edited: