• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Drivetrain Dilemna

Bill Seaton

Freshman Member
I have a 76B that has a transmisson with two problems.

A) O/D will not engage
B) Will throw itself out of 3rd when under
engine braking conditions

Annoying to be sure but endurable until winter when major work was planned.

BUT NOW....the clutch has started to slip a bit. I do not want to miss the best driving weather of the year so action must be taken! I am seeking info / experience / advice on the following things:
1- What should I expect to pay for labor to have the 3rd gear (synchro?) situtation addressed? I will removing the engine / trans as a unit and deliver the trans to a shop yet to be determined.
2- When replacing the clutch, what brand will give me the best service?
3-standard duty clutch or heavy duty?
(I am doing some spirited "ridge runnin" on some of my favorite East Tennessee back roads)

* What are the things I left unmentioned that I need to consider?
* While the engine trans assembly is out of the way, what else should I take care of?

I am consciously unconscious that there are details left unmentioned. This is my first LBC and am trusting of the veterans to help out the rookie!

I have enjoyed lurking and look forward to the responses to my first posting on this site. Thanks in advance for your time in responding.

Tom Bedenbaugh

Jedi Hopeful
Depending on the shops labor rate you can exspect to pay $700-$1000 to get the Tranny built. I would replace all sycros, and bearings. If your going to have it gone through do it all not just 3rd gear. As for the OD it's probably the inhibiter switch, or the solinoid. Very seldome is it the unit itself. I use Borg Beck clutches. One thing to concider is the roller type throw out bearing. It will last longer than the OEM type. I advise my customers on a clutch job to do the rod bearings, and all engine seals including the tappet cover seals. Also have the flywheel surfaced. I also examine all hoses, and engine mounts.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Bill,

While I am not as expert as Tom or others on this forum, a recent experience I had may be useful to your situation.

I too thought my clutch was slipping in 3rd gear when the overdrive was kicking in and out when it shouldn't. Before you pull the engine, try to get the OD to work properly and you might be surprised that a new solinoid will help and clear up the symptoms similar to a bad clutch.

It might just be a simple solution...the kind I look for first!

Bruce