• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dieseling

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Mike-

Sorry, I saw this earlier and thought you'd get better opinions than mine by now - my TR4 also diesels on occasion and I think it is a common problem.

A typical cause is a hot spot in the combustion chamber caused by carbon buildup. A potential low impact cure is to buy some cleaner designed to clean out the engine, also higher octane gas can potentially fix things.

Other people have tried leaning out the carbs, or retarding timing, but if the car runs well I'd be inclined to try cleaner/better gas and finally just put the car in 4th when parked and let the trans shut things down (carefully!)

Regards,
Randy
65 TR4

T

Tinster

Mike,

The Crypt Car had a bad case of the diesels. No amount of
adjustments or replacement parts seemed to help. Someone
suggested I try a tank of high test gasoline.

Instant cure. I've been using high test ever since.

Give it a try.

Dale

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
You can reduce the idle speed which will help stop dieseling.

An anti-dieseling valve can also be installed. It's an electro/mechanical valve that opens (when you turn off the ignition switch) to allow more air into the engine which leans the mixture to a point where it will no longer ignite. It's hooked to the ignition switch.