• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cranky but not cranking

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Trying adding a car jumper booster and try to start. Sometimes the rebuilt motors have a little more compression and need a boost for ignition and starter to get things going. Presquirt fuel in carbs. Even though it ran before. Oil should be good. Did you use a breakin oil and change after starting. Just trying to figure if the bearings dried up after last run.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
What weight of oil?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Larry - see his first post. He's replaced battery and starter cables, replaced the battery, replaced the starter. He can get it to turn over once or twice, then it stops cranking.

To me that seems like a low-current flow, which is why I'm trying to get him to do a load test on the battery. Not sure if Steve realizes there's a difference between battery voltage and battery CCA.

Thanks.
Tom M.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
the oil is 20 50 and the temp is..well we have lite snow today not that it stuck.
an electrition buddy of mine said my connections wear too loose but that because ive been swappign out the componetes. but that was very much not the case as i started attacking this problem.
where can i put a second ground strap.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
no i dont have the equipment.
i will ask my electrion buddy if he has one.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
You can put a ground strap from transmission bolt at bellhousing to frame, body, anywhere close, but don't think this will be problem Automechanic will have a battery load tester. Voltmeter might work while starting, but seems your CCA is low. Don't do a CCA of less than 600 as stated on battery and you need crank amp hours too.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
With everything reported so far, we can be pretty sure it is a low current problem. That load test is essential. Like suggested it will tell you something. Start with the headlights then turn on as much electrical stuff as you can. If the lights dim a lot then you don't have enough current flow, regardless of the voltage. Lights should normally dim some when you try the starter because it uses so much.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
With everything reported so far, we can be pretty sure it is a low current problem. That load test is essential. Like suggested it will tell you something. Start with the headlights then turn on as much electrical stuff as you can. If the lights dim a lot then you don't have enough current flow, regardless of the voltage. Lights should normally dim some when you try the starter because it uses so much.

Thank you! :iagree:

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
well its cranking finally.
I cleaned up the mateing surfaces between the starter and the body.
thanks for all the advice.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
well its cranking finally.
I cleaned up the mateing surfaces between the starter and the body.
thanks for all the advice.

Congratulations on the victory. Du er sĂĄ flink!

Happy driving.
Tom M.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Glad to hear you exorcized the gremlins. Now happy motoring.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
yep started right up today.
the 17th of May is the constitute day here in norway so the town paid my car club to drive through the neighborhoods so every one could social distance
i was behind a Mercedes 450 sl with a Volvo berton 6 behind me. we were lead by the clubs 1916 Mercedes fire engine.

my speedo gauge broke..... its allways something.