• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cockpit Aluminum Trim Moulding

Blonde Healey Girl

Country flag
Our 60' BT-7 Healey is so happy to leave the paint shop and get back into his hangar. Been bolting all the chrome and trim stuff back on. Question is, what can I do with the moulding that surrounds the cockpit? It's got scratches and looks kinda ratty. Has anyone wet sanded and buffed, polished or found anyway to refinish them?

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi BHG,

Haven't seen you around for a while. Hope the project is going well.

The mouldings were originally buffed & matt clear anodized. A fairly durable & not high gloss finish.

If you are not that much into originality, they can be filed to remove gouges, sanded, & buffed to remove flaws.

Clear coat paint does not usually hold up well. Clear powder coat might work well, either with gloss or matt metal surfaces. I haven't actually tried it. I wouldn't suggest a matt finish without some type of coating as it will show every finger print/smudge.

I personally just removed the flaws, & buffed. The bare aluminum does require frequent cleaning/polishing however. Probably much more attention than the original finish required. If I were more ambitious, I would try very light glass beading & clear powder coating after the flaws were removed. Or maybe satin powder coating.

A seldom used factory option was covering them with upholstery material.

There are likely other ideas that will come up, I would be interested to know what others have done also.
D

healeygal

Jedi Warrior
Hi BHG and Dave,

I did the same thing - sanded it with coarse grit sand paper to get the anodization off, then finer and finer grades, then metal polish. VERY SCARY when first using the coarse grit sandpaper - thought I'd ruined the trim (wouldn't be the first time I ever did a "dumb" thing like that - that'd be the Tiffany sterling silver bracelet), but it smoothed out nicely, shines up well and still has a bit of patina what with some of the deeper gouges still slightly visible. I enjoy shining it up once in a while, so the lack of anodization doesn't bother me. I'd take a picture to show you the results, but the car's not home at present - another one of those long tear-jerking stories that I can't talk about right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

Sharon (BN1-less at present)

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Did much the same with the sanding etc, but then put a 2 pack paint over all as no matter how much we sanded pitting still kept ocurring due to imperfections etc in the original castings, color looks just like original. Mines a BN1 body number 860

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
A machinist friend said that Easy-Off oven cleaner is good for removing the anodizing. That way, you could skip the coarse sand paper and start with something finer. I like the 3M marine aluminum polish and restorer (West Marine sells it). I usually finish sand using the polish on 1500 grit wet/dry paper, then buff with the polish on a wheel. Watch out with the rear view mirror on a sunny day. That’s probably why they went with the matte finish originally.
134534-06183_f.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Healey gal, not to steal your fun polishing the aluminum trim but why not just powdercoat it .You can play like you are polishing it but it will just take a bit of wax---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

healeygal

Jedi Warrior
Hi Keoke,

Good idea, except since I usually let it go for months at a time, I'd miss the satisfaction of seeing it shine up as I polish it! There's also the very delicate balancing act of getting it shiny, but not so shiny that the glare from the sun/reflections off the windscreen interferes with driving on a sunny day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Country flag
Meguires had a new product I bought at Hot August Nights in Reno. With very little effort it shines aluminum like a mirror. Less work than Mothers and Semichrome. It seems to last. I used it on my BJ's coil and it looks like it was chromed. I've used it on many of my old slot machines (I collect and restore them) and have been generally blown away with the ease and results. It resists fingerprints and oxidation. It may be TOO bright for you.

healeygal

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Meguires had a new product I bought at Hot August Nights in Reno With very little effort it shines aluminum like a mirror.....It may be TOO bright for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Tahoe,

I may give it a try anyway, or I could use it to shine up my aluminum valve cover!