• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chevy S10

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hey guys;

I own a 2000 S10 pickup, 4.3 litre V6 W engine
Twice in the last month it has refused to start after sitting 3-4 hours.
Then, After another short while (10-15 minutes) it starts right up.
My first thought was fuel pump, but today it did this and when it started, there was about 2 seconds from the time I hit the key till it was running.
In other words, there was no time for the fuel system to pressurize.
I'm wondering if anyone knows, or has experience on these trucks and could give me an idea on possible causes.

Thanks

Dave :wall:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep - so far, I've replaced the fuel filter & the fuel pump...almost got it sorted out but still occassionally does the same thing...looking at the throttle body right now.

Your fuel pump is located in the fuel tank & there's a (for better description) "sock" around it that gets torn & clogs the pump/filter....start by checking the filter to see if its clogged or partially clogged....if it is, go to the pump & the "sock".

My "sock" was in pieces, my filter almost completely clogged as well as the pump...I'm thinking I've got part of it in my throttle body also.

OP
14dna

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Tony;

I was kinda hoping it would be cheap, like a fuse or something HA HA!
I guess it's time to call my buddy at Napa and bite the bullet.
The fuel guage has been wonkie on this truck for awhile, which should be the magic sign, but I'm cheap, so I look for the "cost effective" way out first.

Dave

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My fuel guage also was 'whacky'...when it showed 1/8 tan, it was actually empty.

R6MGS

Yoda
I've also got a 2000 Sonoma with the W code 4.3....Good truck, but kinda quirky(guess it fits in with the rest of them). I haven't experienced what your describing yet, but over on the s10forum.com(which happens to be down tonight) I've seen quite a few discussions over the same.
Worst problem we've had so far is the intake gasket(which may be a GM recall in the u.s?) And a really pesky water leak(water was draining from the wiper cowl cover down the firewall and into the holes where the cruise control box mounts...It then ran down behind the dash and onto the drivers floor....took me ages to track down.)

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Where did you find the water leak? I'm still looking....

OP
14dna

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tony;
Did the new fuel pump fix the gauge problem?
That would be a big bonus to me if it did.

Ron;
I haven't had any major issues with this truck in over five years that I've owned it. Gives me about 29 miles to the gallon going to North Bay to the cottage, and pulls trailers like a tiger.
I guess a few dollars now for a fuel pump is cheap compared to replacement cost for a new truck.
It's a basic truck that works. This is what North American car manufacturers did well and then got away from. If they go back to this format, they make money.
Sorry, just my little rant.

Dave

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yes, the fuel guage problem is solved.

Mine is a GMC Sonoma that I've had since new...

OP
14dna

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well I guess tomorrow I had better get a pump and install it
Thanks for your help!!

Dave

R6MGS

Yoda
My water leak was caused by water being caught in the seal between the wiper cowl and the hood, then running to the driver side end of the seal...down the firewall and behind the cruise control module....Cruise module is mounted with a few screws through the firewall and the water was getting in there.
Other common leak areas(at least for the second generation trucks):
-door seal by the windsheild
-antenna gromet
-wiper cowl seam sealant(drys out and cracks)
- wiper cowl drains get plugged at the end of the wiper cowl and water backs up into the cab
-A/C drain can get plugged causing water to sit in the box and seap into the cab.

I've got a tendancy of getting enthusiastic about any vehicle I own...So I've done a few little things to it:

n705415777_1016116_5586.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mine is coming down somewhere along the driver side footwell - towards the outside of the cab...I've had the cowl off looking inside, had the windshield removed & recaulked; AC drain checked...

...but the wiper cowl sealant, hmmm.

philman

Jedi Knight
I had a 95 S10 Blazer with a similar problem. Shops couldn't find the answer after spending $$$'s at the dealer (sensors and connections in the engine bay power box, also the fuel pump and relays) it finally died across my driveway so I had to fix it before I could leave. Turned out to be a bad wire from the igniter (coil?). Also, because of this problem the cat plugged up and I had it replaced twice at the dealer (they screwed up the first time and it plugged up again 200 miles from nowhere.).

philman

Jedi Knight
any luck yet?

OP
14dna

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
After a long and arduous battle the S10 is running again.
I've had to replace the crank sensor, fuel pump, and repair a ground under the cab. I guess when the dam breaks all the water gets loose.

Dave

P. S. thanks for your help guys, and if you need to know about these trucks, I've been on a crash course. BTW, I have no garage so I work outside in the snow.

:savewave:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
you driving tomorrow? :wink: