• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Camshaft locating plate

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
Hello All,

I just received a new camshaft locating plate for my BJ8. The plate between the camshaft sprocket and the front engine plate. My original was brass and had a step-down around the center hole where the sprocket neck rode. The new plate is flat on both sides, no step, and made of steel(?). I haven't had a chance to check the thickness against the original yet. Is my original plate just worn where the camshaft sprocket rode or did Moss change the design of the plate?

Thanks,
Mark

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Mark,

The locating plate should have an offset circular groove on one side (faces the sprocket and probably for oil distribution). The factory manual shows this clearly on Fig A8. Doesn't look like there is any step though.

OP
M

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
Hey John,

My original plate has the offset circular groove on one side. The other side has the step in it. The new plate does not have that groove at all. When I installed the original plate back to the engine, I put the stepped side facing the sprocket since it was sized that way and I had thought that was the way I pulled it off. Based on the chain rubbing on the chain damper, it either wore the step into the plate or it was installed the wrong way by someone else earlier in its life.

Hmmm.......

BTW, do you ever make it to the San Diego British Car Day up (down for you) in Fallbrook?

Mark

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Mark,

I would give Moss technical support a call to get the low down on the new plate i.e. why it doesn't have the offset circular groove. I recall some verbage in the workshop manual about lining up the two sprockets with shims so you should probably check that section again.

I have been down to the SD British Car day a few times .. it's really a nice event. On Oct 7th this year I will be finishing up a 5 day charity bike ride from Big Bear to Mammoth so won't be able to attend. Maybe next year?

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif
John

OP
M

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
We'll honk at you as we drive by your area. Heading up to the Sand Show at the Fair Grounds in Costa Mesa tonight.

Mark

John Loftus

Darth Vader
I probably should go to the Sand show this weekend .. need to do some light research on suspension and steering for a vehicle project I'm working on. Thanks for the reminder.

I'll won't be around tonight but let me know if you want to drop by some other time. Kick the tires and show you the 'almost done' restoration. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif You never know, Greg W may be here too .. I think he has measured every square inch of my car over the last year. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

OP
M

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
I'll do that. We might be heading up to the antique flea market in Long Beach on Sunday. Trying to talk my wife into taking the Healey since I need to work out everything I just fixed. I like the "go for it" approach for test drives like this! She is not so daring. Also keeps the purchases down...

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Mark, I have never pulled a LBC engine down including numerous Volvo's that did not use a brass Camshaft spacer, Consequently, if Moss can not duplicate the original I would put the old one back in. If there is play in the shaft it can be shimmed on the back side using brass shim stock. Steel !! what next!--Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

OP
M

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
I checked with Moss' tech support. They did some research and said that the steel plates were a direct replacement/upgrade and that the new plates do not use the oil groove any longer. Iteresting, even though my plate had the groove, it was turned backwards so that it had no effect. All of the wear was on the other and it had a lot of wear, a ~1/8" step was worn into it.

What to do??!!! Why did they stop making the good parts...

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No body taught them Monkey Engineering: "Monkey See Monkey Do"---Keoke