• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye horn brush help please

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Can someone tell me how long the horn brush is supposed to be? The one I got from Moss has a total length of 2 1/8". The plastic casing is 1 11/16". I measured the distance through the steering wheel and it is only 1 1/4" This wouldn't be the first time I received the wrong part. The problem this time is that I do not have an original to compare it to. The plastic case seems to start to slip in ok, but does not go all the way down. What was left of the old horn brush casing was flush with the inside of the steering wheel. Also, does the long brass hexagon shape face up toward the driver or face the dash? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'd like to know as well. I bought a Moss replacement years ago and I can't even get it to fit in the hole <insert bad joke here>.

I think I got the wrong part too, but who knows?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You may have been sent one for an MGB. The hex end should go in first, IIRC. It acts as a brush on the ring under it. I've MacGyver'd the things using a <span style="font-style: italic">BIC</span> pen case in past when they were NLA. It takes some fiddling to get length and diameter right with the length of the "pigtail" and spring on whatever you use as a brush, but being inventive can yield a working bit.

jmwuva05

Country flag
I have cut the brass end that touchs the horn push down with a haksaw then filed it smooth to the correct length and it works perfect. The main problem I have is keeping the wheel from grounding to the steering shaft. Made a thin plastic shield to isolate everything.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Total length tip to tip is 2 7/8". Plastic sheathing is 2". Movable brass piece is 3/4" exposed. Brass tip is 1/8".

Long brass piece goes up.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
If I could see a picture and measuements I think I could alter my horn brush, but I have no idea how it fits into the steering wheel. For instance, how long it the plastic part? Is it just the length of the hole through the steering wheel, 1 1/4"? Isn't the circut for the horn completed when the driver pushes the horn push and it touches the center steering shaft/nut? If so, would I just need to make sure the longer brass hex piece was able to touch the horn push, and yet be short enough so that when I push down it allows the horn push to make contact with the shaft/nut?
Kevin

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Looks like we were writing at the same time, Ray. The plastic piece on mine is only 1 11/16", which is shorter than what you have but still seems too long to me. The longer brass piece sticks out 9/16". The short piece sticks out 1/8". The longer shaft depresses 9/16". Can you remember if the plastic part is flush with the inside of the steering wheel? Remnants of the old brush were still in the steering wheel when I took it apart. The plastic sleeve had a lip on it that made it flush with the inside of the steering wheel and stopped it from moving toward the steering wheel surround (the new one does not have this). I am probably making a bigger deal out of this than I should, but I have been sorry before when I have jumped in and tried to alter a piece before I knew what I was doing.
Kevin

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The top of the plastic is flush with the outer edge of the wheel.