• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brand New '80 LE for sale on eBay [48 miles on it]

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
WOOHOO! I've been looking for a parts car for my '75!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

WJM

Re: Brand New '80 LE for sale on eBay [48 miles on

Its great to dream /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight

What kind of person would have that car and never drive it? Who has that kind of WILL POWER??? LOL

bruce

A

aerog

That's the 2nd one I've seen from PA with low miles like that. I was looking for another MG a few years ago and found an LE with 128 miles on it. Problem is you don't know how it was stored - whether the engine was properly pickled (or run occasionally, oil changed, etc), or whether it just sat.

Bruce hit on another problem though - I want a *NEW MGB* to drive, but if I bought a *NEW MGB* I think I'd opt to keep it new and not drive it. Still, it would be fun to buy it and show up at some big show without telling anyone the history of it, and see how many "experts" can find things are wrong with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Bret

Yoda

I agree it is a bit hard to believe. But according to the write up the car was never actually sold.

Anyway, take a look at the engine bay. Everything does look like original but take a look at the engine block. Should the engine block paint look that way? Also take a look at the frame rail at the bottom of the engine bay where the cross member connects it looks kind of rough too. Are we to just accept that the engine paint would fade like that and all that dirt would just collect while the car is sitting in storage?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Bret

ICESWH

I know the guy that bought the 128 mile MG in Pa. that you are speaking of, Aerog. I delieve it's the same one. He paid $17,000.00 for it. It is beautiful. Everything was original. Even had the original floor matts. It was started and maintained by it's previous owner. The guy that bought it was not an MG guy. He drives it once in awhile. He had the tires changed and put in a CD player just after he bought it. The last I spoke to him was about 2 years ago, maybe more. Back then it had 600 miles on it. Oh, and at around 500 miles it started to get the good ol' MG engine tap that we're all used to.

A

aerog

No kidding - glad he's enjoying the car! Hope he keeps taking good care of it too, it's a nice one to keep.

A

aerog

[ QUOTE ]
Are we to just accept that the engine paint would fade like that and all that dirt would just collect while the car is sitting in storage?

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't mention the rust on the grill (in front of the radiator), or the rusty stuff on the hose/pipe going back to the heater box. Not that any of that is probably anything serious, but still - things rust and get old just sitting around.

I don't know...I'd go up there and buy the darned thing except they put a dealer sticker on the back - and I just don't like those things. Oh well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bret

Yoda

[ QUOTE ]

but still - things rust and get old just sitting around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken – especially considering we don’t know how well it was stored all these years.

However, I'm still having a hard time with the red paint on the engine fading that much just sitting around. But hey - if that is really the case, then by golly my engine looks pretty darn good then for a car that is three years older and was actually driven well over a 130,000 miles without a rebuild.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Bret