• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BN4 Longbridge Fuel Tank

Csarneson

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My basketcase 57 Longbridge BN4 has no fuel tank. Based on the condition of the rest of the car that might be a blessing...

Moss has their basic one on sale right now ($152 which seems like a bargain) but they list it as "BN4 from C.E. 68960 thru BJ8" and they do not sell an earlier tank. Every other major vendor just sells just one tank for the BN4-BJ8. The Moss tank is about half the price of the other tanks I have seen and the used ones available look pretty rough.

Am I ok with this new Moss tank? I've read vague references to some of the reproduced tanks not fitting well but nobody will mention any brand names. Thoughts?

Chris

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
I bought a new moss fuel tank I installed in my BJ8 a while ago, and can tell you it's a high quality item! Fits perfect and is factory correct. You won't do better I think. Even if you had the old rusty fuel tank, I would not bother to etch and seal since the brand new moss tank is better built and has better inner rust protection at a very reasonable price. Just makes sense!

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
The earlier Longbridge tank has a slightly different connection to the fuel line to the pump. The Moss tank should fit, otherwise, and it is a good replacement.
Bob

OP
Csarneson

Csarneson

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks so much. I kept reading differing info on whether the fuel tanks were interchangable or not. I'll place the order soon!

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Just one more thing! Obviously your going to order a new fuel sender as well, so make sure you buy Hylomar sealant to seal the fuel sender gasket and be sure to apply the sealant to the threads of all the screws that attach the sender to the fuel tank. Hylomar sealant is fuel proof and I highly recommend it. I used the universal blue racing formula that is non hardening I ordered at my local Napa auto parts store. Moss also sells it but maybe be a different grade....anyway, your going to need it! Again, you will be very happy with the Moss fuel tank and it is zinc coated as well.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Yes you will have to either drill a new hole in the rear trunk wall for the new position of the fuel pipe outlet, or modify the one on the new tank to reach the original hole. On our "longbridge" the original hole was already butchered so I just welded it up and put a new hole for the new tank.
Jim

OP
Csarneson

Csarneson

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
You guys are awesome. Not having a current tank I had no idea what (if any) the differences are. I'm glad to know and get the tank ordered before I paint my chassis this spring.

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As already mentioned, the fuel outlet on the tank is not the same. Unless it was just the tank that I used recently, the size and type of the fitting itself also is different. Those BSPP fittings used in the fuel system are fine, until one needs to find a new fitting or an adaptor.

CessnaTPA

Jedi Hopeful
Yes you will have to either drill a new hole in the rear trunk wall for the new position of the fuel pipe outlet, or modify the one on the new tank to reach the original hole. On our "longbridge" the original hole was already butchered so I just welded it up and put a new hole for the new tank.
Jim
I'm looking at installing a new moss tank in my Longbridge and would drill a new hole. Moss told me the tank has a male 1/4 BSP fitting. What fittings and pipe/hose method did you use? No local shops seem to have BSP fittings and not finding much better online either.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Had the same problem finding the fittings. I ended up ordering the elbow fitting from moss (2 to be exact because I ended up needing one at the pump as well) and robbed the cap nut and olive to use on new metal lines I made from over the counter lines from the local parts store.
Item number 2 part number 375-038.

CessnaTPA

Jedi Hopeful
I'm about to start on removing the old tank and wondering if the original truck liner was made with asbestos?

CessnaTPA

Jedi Hopeful
I received the Moss tank yesterday and it appears to be good quality. I did a quick measurement of the two tank's fuel outlets and there is only about a 1/4" difference between the old & new. How much difference are there between the longbridge and the later models? Curious if i'm replacing the original tank or not.

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 82
OP
Csarneson

Csarneson

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The difference is about 1.25 inches and it's primarily vertical. I had to weld my old hole shut and drill a new one.

CessnaTPA

Jedi Hopeful
The difference is about 1.25 inches and it's primarily vertical. I had to weld my old hole shut and drill a new one.
After pulling back the trunk liner further it revealed the original hole.

Attachments

• IMG_20161124_112718982.jpg
    IMG_20161124_112718982.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 101