• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BN4 Dash Face Finish Question

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We are working on the dash area of the BN4, an early Longbridge 100-6. Can someone tell me how the dash face should be finished on this car? According to the heritage certificate, the car came from the factory with the exterior painted in Colorado Red, with Black insets on the sides. The interior was red.

Should the dash face be painted or covered with vinyl? Red or black? If covered with vinyl, is there a supplier that has a good match to go with the dash pad for the top of the dash? I bought a new dash pad from Moss, in red.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The dash is covered in unpadded vinyl, the same color as the interior, including the dash pad. Moss includes a roll of the vinyl that covers the dash pad with the interior kits.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
The dash is covered in unpadded vinyl, the same color as the interior, including the dash pad. Moss includes a roll of the vinyl that covers the dash pad with the interior kits.

:iagree:

On the early 100/6 cars there was furflex along the bottom of the dash panel, and on the BJ8 the top pad was black on all cars. As per "Anderson & Moment". Bye the way, their 'restoration guide' is an excellent read.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
The longbridge cars should not have furflex running the length of the dash. There are only half moon shaped clips that help secure the dash vinyl. Disregard the heater delete panel as you will most likely have the heater controls in that area.
Jim

Attachments

• 2012-05-23 may2012b 013.jpg
    2012-05-23 may2012b 013.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 2012-05-23 may2012b 014.jpg
    2012-05-23 may2012b 014.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 2012-08-09 august 2012 022.jpg
    2012-08-09 august 2012 022.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 79
OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I don't see the vinyl included in any "kits," but see that Moss sells it separately, in either one or two yard by 52 inch wide pieces. Does that sound like the right thing? It would be nice to find something to match the vinyl on the new dash top.

Jim, are you saying that the Longbridge cars did not come with furflex anywhere in the dash area? I did buy a length of red furflex.

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Oxford, that video is helpful. You mention contact cement. Did you apply the contact cement to the face and edges of the dash, as well as to the back side of the vinyl? Also, water base contact cement or the nasty stuff?

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
The length of furflex you bought (if it is not the pinch weld style) will get used on the front edge of the door opening running behind the rubber weatherstripping.

Attachments

• 2013-01-08 008.jpg
    2013-01-08 008.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 2013-01-08 011.jpg
    2013-01-08 011.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 58
OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
healeyblue, Is your car a Longbridge 100-6? If so, does that mean that they had furflex on the front door posts? That would be good news, as I could use up some of that red furflex that I bought.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Yes a longbridge car. Thats why I have been posting. Trying to steer you straight on some of these longbridge only issues. I just scored a correct set of side curtains too!! This car will be very close to correct soon.

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
What was the build date of your Longbridge BN4? My Longbridge was built in April 57, another birthday coming up soon at the end of the month. I could you a photo of the original red vinyl dash which was later painted black by a prior owner, but it shows you exactly the placement of the upholstery "D" clips used at the bottom of the dash
:driving:

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
healey106, It has a build date of February 6, 1957 - that makes it 58 yr of age. And thank you for the offer; I would like to see those photos.

oxford

Jedi Hopeful
Blueskies
I applied the cement to the dash, the edges and the reverse face of the vinyl. I used the smelly and effective spray stuff, full of nasty chemicals, not the wTer based one.
Matthew

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag