• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Big Healeys At Monterey

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Big Healeys "in" the Monterey......Historics. If you really desire to see a Big Healey at Monterey, I suggest you take in "The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion" at Mazda Laguna Seca Raceaway. Let's face it, you can't afford anything at the auctions anyway so you should just as well hit the track and cheer on fellow big Healey racer Phil Foster in the Huffaker Healey. Phil just completed a multi-year restoration on the famed car Ed Leslie campaign for Kjell Quale's British Motor Company out of San Francisco in the 60's. Should be a good sight as he tries to run down the Ferraris and Corvettes of the period.

Attachments

• 29398.jpg
    29398.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 643

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Looking forward to Monterey. Six or seven of us from the Austin-Healey Association of Southern California are making the trek up there driving our Big Healeys. We leave L.A. on Wednesday and have a full schedule planned. We will be at Laguna Seca on Saturday, and will keep our eyes open for the Big Healey.

Cheers,

Jeff

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sounds like a sweet trip, I hope to attend next year. Have a great time and take plenty of pics for us all.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
dougie said:
Big Healeys "in" the Monterey......Historics. If you really desire to see a Big Healey at Monterey, I suggest you take in "The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion" at Mazda Laguna Seca Raceaway. Let's face it, you can't afford anything at the auctions anyway so you should just as well hit the track and cheer on fellow big Healey racer Phil Foster in the Huffaker Healey. Phil just completed a multi-year restoration on the famed car Ed Leslie campaign for Kjell Quale's British Motor Company out of San Francisco in the 60's. Should be a good sight as he tries to run down the Ferraris and Corvettes of the period.

It would be great to see this car back on track. Interesting website on the car here: https://www.freewebs.com/thehuffakerhealey/

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Phil brought his Huffinger Healey to our UBSCC car show this last May. We had a class for race cars and had 6 entries. Phil's was by far the nicest. It was nice to see the car close up too.

Jerry
BN4
BJ8
TR3A

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I always wonder why anyone would auction their Healey with Dana Mecum's auction when that is primarily a muscle car or Detroit iron venue. Seems like you reduce your chance of success right off the bat. Plus, RM's description of the 56 factory 100M seems to offer something that I am unaware was ever offered on the original 100M's - an alloy body !!! Of course, could be referring to the shrouds but everything else should be steel. Guess they are trying to get in with that "alloy body Ferrari" mystique that raises Enzo era Ferrari prices considerably.
Maybe I'm wrong and just suspicious but as usual,"buyer beware".
Regards,
Mike

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Why would you paint a factory 100-M silver????

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Only heard of Matthew & Son in the Cat Stevens song! "the works never done, there's always something new"

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Randy,

Wow, it's fun to know that someone from the Forum spotted us on the road today. We had a great trip up. Nothing like the California Coast during the summer, cool and foggy. To qoute Mark Twain "the coldest winter of my life was a summer in San Francisco." This was welcome relief from the summer heat in L.A.

Car week in Monterey is unbelievable, worlds greatest cars. Even still the Healey's still stop traffic. At dinner we met a bunch of English Car nuts from Canada, real nice folks.

Having a great time.

Cheers,

Jeff

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
pan said:
Only heard of Matthew & Son in the Cat Stevens song! "the works never done, there's always something new"
I guess the Mathews and Son motorcar trim place is very small and bespoke not to be on google lookup?

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
RM Auctions results:

'65 BJ8 Pre-auction estimate: $50K - $70K. Hammer price: $66K
https://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?SaleCode=MO12&CarID=r185&Currency=USD

'56 100M LeMans Pre-Auction estimate: $150K - $175K. Hammer price: $192,500
https://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?SaleCode=MO12&CarID=r101&Currency=USD

'67 BJ8 Pre-auction estimate: $90K - $110K. Hammer price: $121K
https://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?SaleCode=MO12&CarID=r102&Currency=USD

No bargains there but someone stole this very nice E-Type that had a pre-auction estimate of $100K - $130K for only $82,500:
https://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?SaleCode=MO12&CarID=r170&Currency=USD

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Love that 100M result !!!! That has to be a record for a non 100S Healey ! Saw a few Healey's go through Mecum and if I recall correctly a nice BN2 went for $45k+, a BJ8 went in the high 30's, and a BN7 went 70 or maybe 80's. Like I had mentioned earlier, nothing against Mecum but why sell your Healey through an auction house known for muscle cars, Corvettes, etc. They did have an incredible selection of racing Porsches, including the white 917 that went for $5.5 million. All of the above plus the usual commissions. The above dollar amounts are based on my 64 year old brain remembering correctly as did not write down the results so if you want exact prices, better check their web site !
Regards,
Mike

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Mike, your 64 year old brain seems to be working just fine.

The Mecum '67 BJ8 went for $75K (supposedly concours condition):
https://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=CA0812-134286

And the BN7 went for $72,500:
https://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=CA0812-137840

The 100-4 went for $45K:
https://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=CA0812-133677

The BJ8 that went for $36K had a 5-speed transmission in it.

Mecum is a good place for buyers of British sports cars, not sellers.

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
Love to see the results from the big dogs especially when LBC's do well. Anyone know the Black 100 Healey on Ebay in CA? Not that I can afford one but it was on BAT and seems to be pretty nice with bidding in low 40's.

Mike....are you bringing that beatiful 100M of yours to Hilton Head?

Cheers,
Irene

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Irene,
Thanks for the compliment! Yes, right now I am signed up for the Car Club Jamboree on Saturday and also invited to the Concours on Sunday. Plan to be at both. Know AHCA has a bunch of cars there on Saturday and with Healey being one of the featured marques on Sunday, expect to see quite a few on Sunday too.
Thanks,
Mike

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
Hey everyone.....I hope I did not hijack the thread but we are still talking about Big Healeys just now at Hilton Head...... :rolleyes:

Mike I too will be at the car jamboree with my TR4A. I am looking forward to the weekend and seeing lots of Big Healeys.

Irene

Attachments

• 29478.jpg
    29478.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 213