• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"banning" of right hand drive cars being discussed in this province...

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I can see their reasoning, to a point. And more than likely being pushed by some of those who have never driven a right hand drive. :indecisiveness: Just a guess of course. PJ

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm guessing here, but I think it has more to do with the importing of late model Japanese performance cars (Nissan GTR, etc) and street racing than it really does anything about being RHD. The danger there is the street racing part, not the RHD part.

And yes, I am biased, but then y'all know that already. :grin:

OP
Jer

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You mean the original and correct side, right ?

Cheers

Hence the reason I put a smiley face after I said "wrong side" ha ha

G

I can't drive on that side, don't know why but it drives me nuts.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
On short trips??? :encouragement:

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I'm highly skeptical of that "40% more accidents" number. I'd want to know if it was normalized properly and if the number of RHD cars in the study was great enough for a valid comparison. I also question whether simply counting the number of accidents has much meaning, as there are serious accidents, minor accidents, and everything in between. A statistic like that is virtually meaningless, except to support Mark Twain's famous comment about statistics.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Rented a car in London and drove all over the place. Went up to Stratford to visit relatives and the only time I had a problem was how to get off a roundabout going in the direction I wanted! Went around three times until I hooked up on a Jag that was going my way and just followed him to the straight away. The wife thought it was hilarious, I was a little more concerned. Went to a pub for lunch and when coming out, I jumped in the wrong side of the car! What a surprise, no wheel! Heard about that forever. The wife would never let it die. Sometimes I wonder? :highly_amused: PJ

Drove up to Eccleshall_Staffordshire

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm highly skeptical of that "40% more accidents" number. I'd want to know if it was normalized properly and if the number of RHD cars in the study was great enough for a valid comparison.

This has come up before in Canada -- they have a shorter time frame (15 years I think) for importing cars from abroad, so there are more Japanese home market performance cars getting in up there. Think Nissan GTR and similar. Put one of those into a young man's hands and you have a higher likelihood of an accident. Not from the RHD, but from putting high performance in a young man's hand. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a higher accident rate. RHD is a correlation, not a causation.

Me, I won't go back from a RHD cars, just love them. There's a RHD MGBGT for sale locally that I'd grab in a minute if I had the cash. I've put a fair number of miles on my old RHD MGB and it was not an issue at all. Seemed natural to sit on that side and shift with the left hand.

But then I am a bit odd... :grin:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I don't believe in the 40% either. If someone has a right hand drive they are more inclined to be safer than regular drivers as they do not want there special car ruined. Bureaucrats never hardly drive and have drivers to do their biding and are too arrogant to try and check, just take the word of someone who paid for their drink or meal.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Indeed it is 15 years here and, yes rhd JDM rockets are the problem. I suspect it is actually insurance companies driving this legislation.

nomad

Yoda
Indeed it is 15 years here and, yes rhd JDM rockets are the problem. I suspect it is actually insurance companies driving this legislation.

You can count on it! Same reason the US has government highway policy of "zero highway deaths". Cars are heavier and loaded up with more safety equipment than anywhere else in the world. The consequence being that we get to drive gas guzzler's and don't get a chance to buy many great vehicles that are sold else where. Big oil wins and big insurance does as well.

Kurt.