• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

7 Replica

pookie

Freshman Member
I am considering building a 7 replica as my track car/weekend cruiser. I found one with the frame completed but everything else needs to be completed. I am looking for some guidance/advice. Find this site and thought I would ask. Forgot to ad the frame is set up for a Fiat motor and tranny which are included in the price. The other contender is a GT6 in need of restoration.

Thanks in advance

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
What brand of replica is it?

OP
P

pookie

Freshman Member
Actually I found out a little more about it, the body parts are Caterham but the frame was fabricated by the owner. I'm not sure about that, I hate to start a project that begins where someone else stopped or screwed up.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I would be very cautious of a frame built by someone unless they are a certified welder and really know what they are doing frame wise. Getting the car road certified may be a problem also. Best check laws in your state.

Bruce

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'll probably anger all the purists BUT a GT6 is not a very good racer. Back in the days of yore when I was racing a lowly Spitfire I don't think I ever came across a GT6 I couldn't beat (outside of a Group44 car). Personally , I'd keep looking. Bob

CraigFL

Jedi Trainee
I'm not a big fan of 7 replicas. My favorite 7 is the Super 7 Series 3 which seems to be the most copied. Replicas, to me, make compromises in the looks of the original design which I don't care for. Caterham stays the closest to the original design and with their SV chassis, I may actually fit my 6'-4" into the car. Other replicas may be good for street/track/autocross performance but they don't have the "Lotus" appeal to me.

PS... I will echo Bruce's concern about the frame. Home built space frames can be major trouble in my book. Much skill and testing is required to carry the loads thru the frame as well as carry suspension/engine loads.

OP
P

pookie

Freshman Member
Ya I decided to pass on this one. It was the right price but more often than not that means it is the wrong car. I think I am going to pass on the GT6 too. I want something that is a straight track/autocross/de car, I'm not worrying about driving it on the street. I appreciate all the help.