• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A 4th Test drive

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My first test drive was to Pennsylvania 2+ years ago for my fathers 90th birthday. My restored TR3 had less than 1,000 miles before that 3,000 mile trip. The next test drive was to my nephews wedding in San Fransisco. We added a short trip to see our cousin in Seattle since "we were in the neighborhood". That trip turned over 5,000 miles in 10 days. Since then, I installed an alternator, a new clutch, electronic ignition, new plugs and changed the oil. Now the TR3 shows over 15,000 miles. Tomorrow I head to Pennsylvania for my mothers -and her twin sisters, 92nd birthday party. I expect to be gone 6 days and 3,000 miles. Normally I pick up my wife at the Houston airport, about an hour from here. Friday, I pick her up at the Pittsburgh airport on the way to Portage.

Wish me luck on my 4th test drive (the first solo). -I know I might see rain.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
May the road rise up to meet you and may the wind be always at your back. But if the wind is sideways I do know you can always use that nifty pair of sidecurtains you made!

Enjoy the journey Jer!

Randy

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Safe Drive and Have Fun!

Cheers
Tush

Ps. Randy, yes you do :smile:

doc50

Jedi Trainee
OK, I need to know: What the heck are these 'nifty sidecurtains' all about?

Thom
1959 TR3
#TS34909L(O)

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
A great adventure what else is there besides creativity? With your restoration, you created chicken soup out of chicken poop and some thought it could not be done, so have an adventure and keep everyone posted. For one, I will be watching.

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
'nifty sidecurtains' ?

They are frame less replacements for the "all weather gear" that is supposed to fit onto the doors, in lieu of roll up windows. Mine are made from clear plastic and vinyl with a pocket to fit onto the bottom of the wind wing, and an added LTD snap on the top inside of the tennon plate with straps to the bows, top and rear and LTD snaps along the top of the door. When driving across country in the rain, they come in handy. When too annoying, they can be rolled up and tossed behind the seat. They haven proven very effective, considering being inside a tent with 60mph driving rain. They are a little more time consuming than real roll up windows.

I don't feel like a chicken, but thanks so much for keeping an eye out for me. I'll drop a note when I can.

DornTRoriginal

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
Enjoy! You will have a great adventure!

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Wow. Those custom side curtains sound like something I need.
Any way you could post a few pix??

Thom
1959 TR3
#TS34909L(O)

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Wow! I am envious. My Wife and I love to do trips like yours. But we take our Dodge Truck and a 33' fifth wheel. I would love to do a 3,000 mile trip in our TR3 or the TR250. Safe travels.

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I don't know why, but I can no longer upload pictures. Anyone know why?

So the final mileage with the 10% correction factor (my odometer error as accurately as I can tell) was 2,891 miles in 6 days. I pulled out of my Houston garage into light rain. About 2 miles on I-10E and I was ahead of the rain. Then the traffic stopped due to the small local down pour of rain. I was soaked for the first time, and less than 10 miles from home (the top was up, and little water came in where the side curtains should be, but the top/frame leaked a ridiculous amount). A few hours later, the rain was more steady, and lasted a few miles. I was soaked for the second time. Often, more water was running inside the windshield than outside. I theorized the frame to glass was leaking. The car ran fine.

Before I headed out on the second day, I ran a length of black vinyl (electrical) tape with half on the glass and half on the frame, the entire way across the frame (first I had to remove the top, as the top almost covers it), to hopefully seal it better. About an hour west of Wheeling West Virginia, the dark skies and lightening clued me as to what was about to hit the fan. I had time to stop for gas, and put on the passenger side curtain. When I got back on the freeway, and up to speed, the rain got up to speed as well. I've never seen so many cars pulled onto the shoulder. No water came in at all, not even with the missing side curtain -as long as I was moving. Since visibility was so poor, I followed someone who seemed to know where the road was going. Then they slowed down and turned on their flashers. I don't love it when people create all that extra flashing light. I slowed down too, but only because the TR3 started stumbling as if I'd run out of gas -tho I knew I just filled up. Seconds later, I was looking for a spot to pull off, because the TR3 was no longer running. As soon as I coasted off the bridge, and past the guard rail, I pulled off onto the shoulder and turned off the key, even tho the ignition light was not on. I never turn on the wipers since rain-x does a much better job. I turned on my 4-way flashers, and that indicator didn't work, so I pulled out a flash light and turned it on so the few moving cars might see me. By the time I got the drivers side curtain in place, I was soaked for the third time. This time I was wetter, but the inside of the windshield was dry. I sat in the pouring rain, knowing it couldn't last long, and pondered the changes I made to the wiring, and what might have come loose or where. The rain finally slowed, and I donned my hooded rain coat, flicked on the 4-ways, grabbed a flash light and the hood key. That's when I heard the flasher and remembered the indicator isn't wired to the 4-ways. (From inside the car, it's impossible to see the flashers, but the ammeter needle will toggle in time.) Then I remembered the ignition light hasn't lit with the key since I installed the alternator. So I turned the key, hit the start button, and it fired up and ran fine. I suppose I had some water in the distributor, and the heated engine compartment dried it while I sat in the rain for 40 minutes. Anyway, it ran fine and my GPS was still showing me at the airport an hour before the plane was to land. Then I realized the GPS hadn't considered the time zone change between Houston and Pittsburgh. As I was pulling into the Pittsburgh airport, and driving past the sign indicating "arrivals", I got a text from Prudence that she landed. Pretty good timing.

We drove the 2 hours from PITT to Portage in the rain. We were dry and warm with both side curtains installed. No rain dripped down the inside of the windshield. We celebrated my moms 92nd birthday on Saturday. It was a big day. Sunday Pru and I drove back to PITT and spent the night.

Monday morning, I dropped Prudence off at the airport around 6am. Then I drove over 900 miles to just south of Little Rock Ar. before spending the night. Today, I drove the rest of the way 'home'. With less than 3 miles to the last exit -while stuck in stop and go traffic, I stalled the car, and flooded it trying to restart. I got out and pushed it across two lanes, and onto the shoulder. When I looked under the hood, the glass fuel filter was bubbling like a freshly poured Guiness. After a 20 minute wait, the traffic seemed like it was moving, so I sprayed a little starting fluid and fired it back up. I didn't let it idle those last few miles home. I made it without issue.

Another 2,891 miles, without a break down by my definition. I've already cleaned the bugs off and am thinking of my next adventure.

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
TexasKnucklehead,
Could you send me a PM with some pictures of your flexible side curtains. I am thinking of making some for my car. Thanks and have a good day!

John

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks George, it seems my space quota has been exceedingly over used, but after deleting a bunch of pictures, I'm not close. The help page sends me to a place that isn't close to helpful, so I'm not sure why I can't post pictures. I would not have taken the trip without them.

My present configuration does not use that little strap in the upper corner of the w/s. Instead, I have one of those LTD snaps like the ones on the front on the top w/s (that screw together either side of the material, and must have the button pulled for the snap to install/remove) attached to the tennon plate above the wind wing. (It is attached via an old wind wing bracket that happened to be threaded the same as the LTD post for the w/s top.) My side screens have a pocket sewn on the outside, so the wind wing helps hold the clear material in place while motoring at speed. The rear area behind the door on the passenger side has been the most challenging to close. Wind wants to blow that spot in, or out while motoring at speed. The car is much quieter with both windows on, and warmer and drier too. I added small finger loops to the bottom inside next to the regular LTD snaps to assist in removing them from inside the car. It's faster to pay a toll by unsnapping the side screen top and throwing coins out the center, than trying to get the top of the door unsnapped. My wife loves them and in the proper weather, they are very helpful.

I still need to make a "finished" set, rather than the ones I've been practicing. And I haven't made the set for Randy -but I have the material and patterns just waiting for the right conditions. I think "all weather gear" is somewhat a misnomer. Perhaps "some weather gear" is more fitting, but in any case, I like to call them "roll up windows" since I can roll them up and put them in the trunk.