• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1993 Cutlass convertible blowing a fuse

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hey gang, long time no posts. Here's a non-Brit problem that's got me stumped.

A couple of months ago, I bought a 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible. I know very little about its past. When I bought it, someone had installed a dash-mounted DVD player and an Infinity 300watt amp and sub in the trunk. Kinda neat and sounded ok, but it all seemed like a theft target, so I got to work removing it and installing a less theft prone factory radio so I could regain use of the steering wheel-mounted controls.

This process ended up pretty involved, as there was quite a bit of dodgy wiring up under the dash. I got all that out and got the wires patched together properly. I also installed new speakers up front. For awhile, everything seemed to be working well, but then it started blowing a 15amp fuse labeled ELEC in the fuse panel under the glovebox. This fuse is always hot, and controls the radio, climate control, and some kind of door switch. This car is equipped with Electronic Climate Control.

At first, it seemed rather random, so I went back into the dash looking for potential short circuit locations. I found one and insulated it. Everything worked well for a couple of days, and then the fuse blows again. I got back into the dash, and all seemed well. So I was baffled.

Now, after putting everything back together, the fuse blows again. But I've noticed something odd. It doesn't blow as long as the car's doors are closed.

This car is equipped with those odd pillar-mounted door handles that one pulls downward to open the door. To further complicate things, just to check an idea, I plugged a new fuse in and started the car. All was well until I opened the driver's side door, then the fuse blew.

I tried it again, and watched the display on the radio as I opened the door. As soon as I pulled the handle down, the radio display dimmed and then went out. The fuse had blown.

This is an odd situation and I'm not sure where to go from here. I suppose open the door up, but what to look for? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
-Bill

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Take the inner door panel off. incorporated into the wiring in the door for the power locks and such is a wire that runs to the door latch switch from the 15A Elec fuse. It's orange. there is likely a second wire going to the switch as well as a return signal to the passive restraint/ door lock system, but I haven't been able to find it in a diagram. a visual inspection should be able to spot it.When you pull the handle for the door latch, it closes the switch and shorts out that orange wire. I'm betting the other wire is grounded, but it shouldn't be.
The short cut would be to cut the orange wire, but then I bet your power locks won't work. (That's how it knows if a door is open or closed)
Suspect places to look for problems are where the wires go across the door jamb. Pull back the boot to inspect wires. the flex there every time the door is opened, and over time tend to break. also if any of the wires run under the carpet, look for water intrusion. Also make sure speakers being put in the doors diden't put screws into any wires, or pinch them against the metal door frame.

OP
wkilleffer

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ok, my dad came over, and after some examination, we found a broken wire inside the driver's door. Put it back together, and the illuminated keyhole near the door handle started working. A funny feature if ever there was one, especially since it's only on the driver's side.

The good thing is that the blown fuses appear to be a thing of the past. But now, the Electronic Climate Control is doing what looks like some kind of crazy diagnostic mode that I can get to stop. The usual tricks don't work. But having one less really bad problem is a plus :smile:

OP
wkilleffer

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hey Banjo,

You must have replied just as I was getting my reply together. Thank you for your suggestions.

Any idea of what to do about the climate control issue?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Not sure there. Check inputs and make sure all is good. likley something had gone screwy inside. I'll look a bit later tonight when I have time to dig.
Is it a Cutlass calais, or Supreme (I suspect it's a Supreme)... any other badge like "S" or whatnot?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
'93 Cutlass convertible?That would be a non-factory car,-
wouldn't it?

- Doug

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Diagrams I looked up offer a convert' in the options.