• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1966 BJ8 rear trim panels

Leo_Speichinger

Does anybody know of a source where you can purchase just the rear trim panels for a 1966 BJ8? The rest of my interior is original and in great shape but the rear panels wood was rotten and after making new wood panels the upholstery just isnt going to withstand being replaced as it is brittle. Or does anyone know of someone who has a used set for sale? Hate to buy a complete panel set at almost 1K when all I need is the rear quarter panels.

Thanks
Leo

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Leo,
I don't have used panel coverings, but I will be in the same situation you are soon because I have my BJ7 apart and will need new coverings as well. I would have no fear of using a local auto uphostry shop to replacate what you need. Awhile back I put a complete new interior (high end set from Al Knock Interiors) into a '56 Vette (beige in colour) and I made a bad cut on the trans tunnel carpet piece. A local uphostry shop made the repair and colour matched the dye and it is totally unnoticeable. Another idea is to canvas Healey restoration shops. Drop an e-mail to Healey Surgeons over in the Maryland/DC area. I am constantly amazed at what they have on the shelf.
Dave.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Does anybody know of a source where you can purchase just the rear trim panels for a 1966 BJ8? The rest of my interior is original and in great shape but the rear panels wood was rotten and after making new wood panels the upholstery just isnt going to withstand being replaced as it is brittle. Or does anyone know of someone who has a used set for sale? Hate to buy a complete panel set at almost 1K when all I need is the rear quarter panels.

Thanks
Leo
What color and does your panels have two studs for the shoulder harness seat belts or round holes for rear seat belts?

OP
L

Leo_Speichinger

My panels have two studs that go through the panels midway back and they are black. (Vette) the problem which precludes a regular uphostery shop doing them is that the panels have heat embosed squares on them so that isnt an option as I want to keep the original apperance. The panel i took the image of isnt the panel that came out of my car hence the one big hole instead of the two holes for the seatbelt studs'

Leo

IMG_1615[1].jpg

el IMG_1614[1].jpg

Last edited:

Lotuswins

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Leo,

UK Healey Center or AH Spares, both in the UK, will sell you the rear quarter panels as a pair, around 132 quid plus shipping.

Good luck,

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
My panels have two studs that go through the panels midway back and they are black. (Vette) the problem which precludes a regular uphostery shop doing them is that the panels have heat embosed squares on them so that isnt an option as I want to keep the original apperance. The panel i took the image of isnt the panel that came out of my car hence the one big hole instead of the two holes for the seatbelt studs'

Leo

View attachment 25868

View attachment 25867
I believe late BJ8's are the only cars to have the "large" hole for the rear seatbelts(at least mine does) so I think you are going to have more success looking for good "used" condition panels that will match the patina of the rest of your upholstery. I'm changing the color of my black late BJ8 to another color(originally red), and have a whole complete interior in black so I know there still are good original panels, etc. out there.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Leo,

What condition is just the waffle section of the panel? From the image provided, you may be able to clean up the waffle section and use it as the seat belt attachment and shelf slide receiver are surrounded with chrome and the bolt through the wheel well is covered by the back frame.

A while back, my original quarter panel plywood was coming apart and the front section near the floor was really tattered and brittle. I recreated the wood and metal panels (as I think you did) and reupholstered by cutting the waffled vinyl and sowing it to new black vinyl I found that exactly matched the grain of the original.

100_1565.JPG

One caution, however, when installed, the rich black of the new vinyl made the original door panels black look shallow as a result of its exposure to light and age. As a result, I was forced tocontinue and created new a new interior. The only parts that stayed original are the seats (front and back), cubby cover, and waffle section of the fold down shelf (along with the waffle of the quarters).

Since you have already recreated the supporting panels, I would take the chance of doing as I had. You can always buy new if it turns out to be less then satisfactory. If it looks good, you will have saved quite a bit.

Good luck,
Ray (64BJ8P1)