• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A 1963 Triumph TR4

twcguy

Freshman Member
Country flag
Saw an ad on Ebay for a one owner black plate 1963 TR4, called the seller and was told that he would cancel the auction if it was sold locally. He said that he already have a buyer in Canada who wanted to wire the money, and that I would have to hurry to see it, so we set up an appointment to view the car first thing in the morning. Went with a couple of family members to take a look and then purchased the car. The drivers side rear brake was completely frozen, we had to use a cable winch puller to drag it up onto the U-Haul trailer. Once back home, we took off the wheel and found that someone had already tried to remove the brake drum and had taken a big chunk off of the drum. There was no way to rotate the drum to get at the adjuster, and we had the parking brake released. No fluid in the lines at all. It wasn't the ideal solution, but we ended up using an air hammer to get the remainder of the drum off so that we could get the car off the trailer (not fun when it is over 100 and the car is in the sun).

I was able to get the phone number for the original owner from the seller and I gave him a call. His wife had bought a TR3 new in the 1950's, and she traded it in for the TR4 in 1963. He married her in 1972 and they drove the car around their home in Manhattan beach until the motor "started making a noise" in 1985. The car was then parked and had been sitting in the garage until a month ago. The owner said it was never repainted during the time that he had known the car, but that his wife had backed into a wall and bumped a front fender in the past. The rear bumper is pushed in far enough to interfere with the trunk opening and closing.

There is very little rust, other than the usual around the battery box and master cylinders. The motor spun easily by hand. I changed out the oil, pulled the plugs and allowed oil to soak the cylinders. After spinning it by hand for a few cycles, we used the starter to see if it would build oil pressure. No weird noises were heard, it sounded fine. Hit it with a shot of starting fluid and it fired up right away. We are going to leave the engine alone for now as we go through the brakes, clutch, suspension, etc. There is always the possibility of noise from the generator, water pump, chain tensioner, or any number of things that we can tackle later.

Not going to restore this one, just going to clean, polish, and replace the hard parts necessary to get it back on the road as a driver.

FWIW, the seller did not cancel the Ebay auction and ran it to the end. He called me and said that he had a buyer lined up and wanted to split the difference, I declined. PM me for details if necessary.

IMG_1885.JPGIMG_1886.JPGIMG_1898.JPGIMG_1899.JPGIMG_1901.JPGIMG_1903.JPG

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I examined this one pretty well when it was listed. Looks to be a pretty solid car . A good start for a restoration ! Well done.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, looks like a great start!

Please keep us posted on your progress and keep in mind there are a number of us in SoCal here on the forum.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
'Clean it up and drive' sounds like a good plan. I've tried that a couple of times but usually succumb to more restoration than I originally had in mind.

Not blaming you -- but that seller should be flogged if he let the auction run to completion after the car was sold. He may be planning on telling eBay the high bidder didn't buy the car (which would technically be true) in an effort to avoid eBay fees. In any case he apparently didn't read his own comments "I am looking for a fair auction...".

OP
T

twcguy

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'll update this post as the project moves along. I'd really just like to have a Triumph that is driveable, the TR3 (baseboard trim rack in background) is enough of a project for now. But, I know how repairs can snowball into something else...

The auction was at $4k when I bought the car, I think the seller wanted to know if he could have gotten more for the car than I paid him. I sent in a note through my account and received a canned response back.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
"Clean it up and drive" does SOUND like a good plan ! The last TR I did started out the same way too - same condition etc. - $20K later ( parts only) I had a pretty nice car !

fpstude

Silver
Country flag
The car looks really great. I look forward to seeing your progress. Keep the photos and narative coming.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I agree , it does look like a great car . I think my next TR will be a TR4. I've still got a good complete engine for one. This one here just needs a good steam cleaning and it will look great . On a So. Cal car like this I'll bet the original finishes are on the hardware bits too. Not the rusty crap the cars back here have.

TRTEL

Jedi Trainee
Was the hood never drilled for the letters or front medallion? What a great looking find, my brother will be envious. He 'deep sixed' his '62 mostly daily driver, (which he bought in '72), due to terminal frame rot (upper midwest snow and salt) in 2010. Oh and what does the odometer show? I'll guess that you've not had a chance to check compression.

Country flag
Ya'll are making me sad. This one is about the same shape as the black one the trucker lost off the trailer on Christmas Eve outside of Atlanta.
Marv

OP
T

twcguy

Freshman Member
Country flag
Good point TRTEL, I'll have a closer look at the hood today. There is some evidence that the front left corner may have been hit at one point. Unfortunately, the original owner passed and the husband has no recollection of body repairs.

OP
T

twcguy

Freshman Member
Country flag
There are no holes in the hood, and no evidence of patched holes that I could find. The paintwork (lack thereof with primer showing) on hidden areas of the hood suggest that it is not original to the car. We are guessing that there had been an accident sometime after Triumph started to produce the single hood with no holes as a replacement panel, but prior to 1972. Anyone know of a template for drilling out the emblem mounting holes?

We removed the fuel tank and cleaned it out, replaced all the fuel lines, my brother rebuilt the fuel pump and it ran on gas for the first time in 30 years. We were hoping to find the source of the noise that caused it to be parked before we started rebuilding all of the engine accessories in the event that we had to pull the motor. The two piece crankshaft pulley had loosened and come apart, and was banging around. It looks like it had been off before sometime in the past and whoever did the job did not replace the nylocs. Hopefully it will be a straightforward fix.