• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

12V outlet...how and where?

AH_3000

Just bought a Tomtom GPS for my BJ8, since I'm planning on using it a lot on B roads around the countryside. I know - maybe it's a little bit too mdern for the car, but it's a small unit and I'll hide it well :wink:!

Question - How and where do I connect the 12V outlet, that I need to power the GPS-unit? Any suggestions? There have to be a coulple of outlet (haha) enthusiasts like me, that have found a solution to the 12V outlet problem???

Best
Chris, Sweden

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
AH_3000 said:
Just bought a Tomtom GPS for my BJ8, since I'm planning on using it a lot on B roads around the countryside. I know - maybe it's a little bit too mdern for the car, but it's a small unit and I'll hide it well :wink:!

Question - How and where do I connect the 12V outlet, that I need to power the GPS-unit? Any suggestions? There have to be a coulple of outlet (haha) enthusiasts like me, that have found a solution to the 12V outlet problem???

Best
Chris, Sweden
My car came with an cigarette lighter installed and it looks to be a period accessory. Although my car is completely apart for a frame up, I think there is a color coded wire for this accessory?? I would attach it there or run a wire from the horn side of the fuse box to an aftermarket cigar lighter.
Patrick

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
AH_3000 said:

Best
Chris, Sweden

Hi Chris,

If your car is negative ground, hook up is simple.

Radio Shack sells a 12V outlet called:
Enercellâ„¢ 12VDC Vehicle Power Accessory Outlet
Model: 270-046 | Catalog #: 270-046 (Photo below)

You have a number of ways to wire that into the car.

I believe the brown wire under the dash is for a cigarette (cigar lighter). (Because the car is suppose to be positive ground, other will have to tell you how to hook that wire up.)

I ran a separate wire to the solenoid for power and fused it with an inline fuse from Radio shack. Ran another wire to ground. Simple hook up.

10-Amp Inline Fuse Holder for 1¼x¼" Fuses
Model: 270-1281 | Catalog #: 270-1281 (Photo below).

The receptical comes with a plastic L-bracket that holds the outlet. Use your imagination for placement. I have mine hidden up under the dash. My GPS is permanently attached (behind the speaker grill) to the car, so the need to have easy access to the outlet is not a concern for me. (The speaker gill is held around the centering bezel, with small magnets.)

Good luck,
Roger

Country flag
I have the same type outlet as Roger. I have neg ground so it was easy. I placed the outlet at the top of the passenger foot well on the far right. Way out of the way. It also serves to charge the cell phone. With pos ground you have to isolate everything and be careful your stuff does not touch any grounded metals.
I made a plastic hook out of thick plastic from a 5 gal bucket (heat with a propane touch to shape into a squared off "s"). It hangs over the glove box. Problem is that I cannot see it well when the sun is on it. I intend to place it in a black shroud.

OP
AH_3000

AH_3000

Thanks!

Roger: I believe I've seen your car on youtube...the 007 Q inspired?! Is that correct?? Watched that clip a number of times, even before I had my own Healey...Am I wrong about the clip?

How do you keep the "speaker mesh" attached to the car when not using the GPS? Magnetic force, like when you store the mesh under the glove compartment? (Sorry - I saw after my posting thet you've already answered this :wink: ) My GPS isn't that big (won't "fill" the space as good as your Garmin does), and it would look strange to put it in the same place with LOTS of space around it, but I'm just curious...! Love your work with the car, by the way!!!

As a novice - How do I know for sure if my car has negative ground(which I belive it has)? The car is restored(fram up) by British Motorcorp in Philadelphia (https://www.britishmotorcorp.com/) and I believe all their restoed cars are converted, but I'm not sure...

tahoe healey: Sounds like a good idea - please post a picture (if not too much trouble) when it's finished!?

Chris

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI Ghris:

There is a brown wire under the dash provided as a "Radio" powersource.

This wire is hot[ 12 volts present ] all the time.Should you like to have it be a switched power line then switch it at the fuse block from pin #1 to pin #3.

If you chose to also power your radio from this line just add a double bullet connector. Utilizing it as a heavy switched power source adds a margin of safety in that you cannot inadvertently leave the connected accessory on after shutting down the car.
Fusing will be determined by the individual equipment loads attached to this point.--Fwiw--Keoke

P.S.
How do I know for sure if my car has negative ground:

Look at the "VE" battery terminal connected to the chassis via the switch in the boot.If it is the - VE terminal connected it is negative ground. If the + VE terminal is connected it is positive ground.---Keoke

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
AH_3000 said:
Thanks!
Roger: I believe I've seen your car on youtube...the 007 Q inspired?! Is that correct?? Watched that clip a number of times, even before I had my own Healey...Am I wrong about the clip?

How do you keep the "speaker mesh" attached to the car when not using the GPS? Magnetic force, like when you store the mesh under the glove compartment? (Sorry - I saw after my posting thet you've already answered this :wink: )
Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes that is my video.

I thought it was a fun video and simply wanted to share what modern touches I added to my car. But sometimes good intentions backfire. I seem to get comments posted and sent to my inbox telling me Bond never drove a Healey. I know that, and I don't say any where in the write up, he did. I guess because I wrote...007 Q inspired and the soundtrack, people assume...and feel inclined to set me straight. Too late to change it now, for I no longer have the file that created that video. I just ask for trouble don't I :wall:

I could delete that video and make another one, but then I'd miss all that fan mail telling me, hey mister...Bond never drove a Healey!

It's been a while since I've anyone set me straight. Feel free my Healey brothers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cocwJNQOGVA

As far as the speaker grill goes, I cut the 4 studs off the back. Then I epoxied the mesh to the grill frame. I originally glued 6 magnets, but found out they were so strong, I had a heck of a time removing the grill. 4 magnets turned out to be the right amount for holding power.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
AUSMHLY said:
AH_3000 said:
Thanks!

How do you keep the "speaker mesh" attached to the car when not using the GPS? Magnetic force, like when you store the mesh under the glove compartment? (Sorry - I saw after my posting thet you've already answered this :wink: )
Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes that is my video.

I thought it was a fun video and simply wanted to share what modern touches I added to my car. But sometimes good intentions backfire. I seem to get comments posted and sent to my inbox telling me Bond never drove a Healey. I know that, and I don't say any where in the write up, he did. I guess because I wrote...007 Q inspired and the soundtrack, people assume...and feel inclined to set me straight. Too late to change it now, for I no longer have the file that created that video. I just ask for trouble don't I :wall:

I could delete that video and make another one, but then I'd miss all that fan mail telling me, hey mister...Bond never drove a Healey!

It's been a while since I've anyone set me straight. Feel free my Healey brothers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cocwJNQOGVA

As far as the speaker grill goes, I cut the 4 studs off the back. Then I epoxied the mesh to the grill frame. I originally glued 6 magnets, but found out they were so strong, I had a heck of a time removing the grill. 4 magnets turned out to be the right amount for holding power.
Several years ago I read an article in the newspaper(I think it was the paper),about Sean Connery driving a "smoking(oil burning Healey), in southern Cal. and was pulled over by the police. I can't recall if I saved that article but if I come across it you can be sure I'll post it.
Patrick

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
dancrim said:
Where did you get the cup holder? Nice addition...

VW.
If you're a member of the Austin Healey club of America, look in the October 2009 issue, for a how to install it.

Cheers,
r

OP
AH_3000

AH_3000

Well Roger,

I didn't for a split second think that the man behind the video mistook an Aston Martin for a Healey - I just thought the comment showed more about the man behind the comment...

Anyhow, your solution with the mesh grill is nice, and I might just use the space for some other purpose! I'm planning on installing the 12V power outlet tomorrow - found a brown wire with a blind end hanging very nere where the optional radio should be. I thnk I'll try that one first, otherwis I'll borrow some power from the ignition key and ground the outlet at the speedo.

And Keoke - by the way, I just found out that my car isn't converted to negative ground, even if the seller claimed so. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the red (+) wire from the battery is routed to the cut off switch, and the black (-) wire from the battery is routed forward to the consumers - must mean that my car has positive ground, right? Should I be worried about a ticking bomb of rot within a couple of years due to this...??

Country flag
The wire from the neg terminal of the battery (regardless of its color cause of terminal post size)goes to the cut off switch. When you figure it out, put a note on the inside of the boot lid cautioning that it is neg ground to prevent future problems at repair shops and road side service operators.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And Keoke - by the way, I just found out that my car isn't converted to negative ground, even if the seller claimed so. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the red (+) wire from the battery is routed to the cut off switch, and the black (-) wire from the battery is routed forward to the consumers.

Well given standardised electrical color coding that would lead one to the conclusion you have drawn.

However, to be certain in this case I would rely on:

1]The [ + / - ] terminal markings on the battery itself-or

2] The physical size of the battery terminal going to the switch.
In this latter case regardless of the wire color coding only if the "largest terminal" [+] connects to the switch You have Positive ground in your car.

Should I be worried about a ticking bomb of rot within a couple of years due to this...?? NO that is an old Irish whisper :cheers:-Keoke

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So it sounds as if his car is still positive ground.
The radio shack 12V power supply surround is plastic and therefore isolated from touching ground itself. Only the receptical itself is wired; i. e. the center post and outer rim.
So the question is if he wants to connect it, should he not wire the outer rim to the brown wire which is negative (in a positive ground car) and the center post part to the ground on the car which is positive.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI Shorn: Yes his car just may still be positive ground.

The problem with your inquiry is that the connected accessory should also be isolated from ground which in my opinion is a risky situation.
On the other hand, Radio Shack at one time sold a [DC to DC converter ] which eliminates this problem and allows you to connect an accessory in a positive grounded car as if the car had a negative ground. Alternatively, I would feel much more comfortable by converting the car over to a negative ground configuration.-Fwiw--Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:savewave:

DC to DC converters are useful for voltage conversion to operate 12 volt electronics off 12 volt vehicles, cars,. Best for radios, CB radios or GPS equipment. DC to DC converters closely regulate the output voltage over a range of [ 10 to 16 ] input voltages. Fully isolated means that either polarity can be grounded, allowing negative ground equipment to be used in positive ground cars, etc. ---Keoke

OP
AH_3000

AH_3000

Soooo...need to settle this before the weekend! Just to be sure, attaching 2 pictures of the "kit" I bought (in Sweden) for reference. It does seems like I have a car with positive ground. Now - How do I connect the brown wire (supposed to be a cable for the radio that isn't installed) to my kit? I bought a fuse (10 AMPS) and a cable with a fuse holder as well. Brown wire to fuse to 12V outlet (which one of the two connectors?) and a black cable from the 12V outlet to a grounded place(under the instrument board)???

I'm not an electrician as you probaly have guessed...

Best

Chris

Attachments

• 21625.jpg
    21625.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 489
Country flag
Others will tell you the best way for a pos ground but I would invest in shrink wire insulator to cover the contact as they are somewhat exposed and that brown wire is very HOT.